• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best GPS for the Buck

walleyeking

You won't get mapping capabilities, or much memory for that price, but the Geko 201 is WAAS enabled and stores a pretty good number of tracks and plenty of waypoints. If you're looking to plot accurate points, but don't need much in the way of software, I would recommend it. It's extremely small with decent battery life.

http://www.garmin.com/products/geko201/

You should be able to find one for under $150.

I purchased a SporTrak Pro this past summer and have been fairly pleased with its results. It has mapping capability plus the most ram available for downloading maps on the market in it's price range. I used it to set waypoints on the lake over the summer so now I should be able to just walk out to my hotspots and drill holes over the winter. I purchased mine for around $180 through some internet warehouse company.

While I have not yet purchased any maps to download to it, I have seen posts on this site indicating it was fairly simple to do.

Only downfalls to it are the screen size which is a bit smaller than a comparable Garmin which run an extra $100.

I've owned a Garmin Legend and wouldn't buy anything else. WAAS-enabled, I can load it up with any number of maps (8 MB), it's easy on the batteries, and small. Perfect for me. I think you can pick it up for around $200 if you look around. Compare it to all others and I think you'll see why it is so popular.

dan

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 12-03-2003).]

I just ordered the Garmin Rhino 120 today. It comes with a 2way radio build in. Has plenty of memory, base map, and the ability to download other maps such as lakes and roads. It has WAAS and is compatibale with any other 2way radio. Endless features. I've been researching GPS's for a while now and have heard nothing but good on this one. It retails for around $250 at stores but I found walmarts web site has it for $225 with tax, shipping and everything. It can be returned to walmart stores if not satisfied.

Magellan Sport Trak Map. 2mb base map of major cities, hwys etc. 6mb of available RAM to upload maps from the Map Send program.

Easy to use, WAAS enabled (I tried it and it CAN get you to within a big step of your saved mark)and under $200 bucks. I think they have a rebate going on now that gets you to around 175.00

EXcellent GPS and I shopped hard before making my choice.

------------------
Mike
Kalispell, MT
<<><<
"LOOK ALIVE, MAGGOT!"
(Not you Pal, I was talking to my bait)

Magellan all the way.

I've used and abused mine all the way from Lake of the Woods (frozen) to the Black Hills of Wyoming for a deer hunt with absolutely zero complaints. I've dropped it hard on rocks and soft in slush and it never misses a beat. Mine is the older 330M model but 2 of my buddies have the newer Sporttracks and love 'em. It will change the way you hunt in unfamiliar territory for ever. You know where you are at all times.

I remember the days of relying on a compass to get me out of the swamps or woods of northern Minnesota. I honestly spent more time checking the compass for fear of getting lost than I did hunting. I still carry a compass and map but rarely use them any more, the gps is that good.
Polar Bear

Go on hsolist and look at the GPS's on there. You can get a brand new Garmin Legend for about $165. I've seen them go for as cheap as $135. That's for a brand new sealed unit. Great unit, with WAAS, mapping, uses the Fishing Hot Spots maps. I think that bang for your buck, that is the one you want!

pj4, Log on to Garmin.com. They have a ton of info as far as how they work and terms. I have the Legend also. It's everything I need but wouldn't mind a larger screen but for the cost and what you get it's well worth it. I don't know if you can buy a gps without WAAS. Its just a way the gps can pinpoint your location to within ten feet or so. Good luck.

I recently purchased my first GPS I bought the Magellan Sport Trac I am planning to upgrade in the future but this one seems to work good so far even though I still havn't figured it out yet. the selling point for me was that it floats and price. $148.67 WalMart.

------------------
Don't worry you'll get the next one.

WAAS doesn't working in all areas. Unless things have change I believe guys up at LOW said that last year it wouldn't work. And no not all GPS can get you with in 10 feet. As a matter of fact there are very few that can product that kind of accuracy. They all will get you close enough that you can locate what you are looking for. I would say that they can be off as much a 100 feet. To get one that will get you with in 10 feet it will cost a lot of money. I have a Lowrance Global Map 100 that is about 3 years old it doesn't have WAAS but it works just fine for me. It will alway bring me back close enough for me to were my points are.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

I don't think I would ever get one without mapping capabilities. The base map that comes on the Legend is great for traveling. Gives you all exits on the freeways and whats at the exits. ie:resreraunts, gas, rest areas, hotels and the phone #'s. Then you can load topo maps or lake maps in place of base maps that are extremely accurate. The Legend usually will read within 10 to 20 feet. (it CLAIMS?)

[This message has been edited by #Boater# (edited 12-04-2003).]

I have used a Garmin Etrax for three years and am very pleased with it's performance.
Garmin is very good about software updates which are free to their GPS customers.
Their customer support group is good to deal with also.

------------------
Bob/MN

One thing I have noticed is the Magellan gps units seem to track better than the garmin etrex units. I have a Etrex Vista which typically gets within 20ft but takes a while to track. The magellan unit that I have used locks in and tracks twice as fast, especially in a wooded area, but is harder to use. However, if you are just going to use the unit for ice fishing, then the difference in tracking will not be as great.I really emphasize the fact that the garmin units are much easier to figure out, at least for me. Hope this helps. You can get a Etrex Vista on-line for $248.00 w/shipping included.

WHATT- That would be on a perfect sunny day with 6-8 satellites tracked at full strength and a WAAS satellite to boot. I think my unit has done it about 10 times. Typically, I get to w/in 15-20ft on ideal conditions, but if you pick a WAAS satellite, it can help a lot (they are numbered at 33 or higher on the satellite screen). Most of the time, I am unable to track a WAAS satellite on a average day. Point being-most sites will claim this high accuracy with their GPS units, but they fail to mention those little details needed to get that extreme accuracy.

[This message has been edited by goin fishin (edited 12-04-2003).]

I have a Magellan SporTrak Pro. A great unit, easy to use, and very accurate. It was dropped in a lake this summer and it floats as advertised. A very tiny bit of moisture got in it but it dried out in no time and works great.

The only "problem" I have had was with the rebate company. Was a big hassle to finally get it.

I here all you guys, but the thing to really think about is the software that the unit can use. I have 2 Garmins, and I love them both. Not because of the accuracy, although it is nice, but because the software i can get for them makes it so easy to find and create waypoints, edit tracks, create routes and download all this new information to the Unit.

I have a product called Gartrip (www.gartrip.de) that I used to use, cheap, but I could scan a lake map then calibrate it then make all the holes, humps and points. It is easy to use and only around (?) $30.00. I also have Garmins mapping softrware. It is expensive, but it is accurate. I couldn't beleive that the Canada base map had the lake on it that I go to every summer and winter, and how close it is to the waypoints that I have already created.

The bottom line is, look at the software too.

Just my $.02 worth.

PO