• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thorne Bros. Rods

gillslayer

Hi,
I am thinking of picking up a thorne bros. panfish sweetheart rod. Do any of you guys use these. I have heard good things. They are a little pricey, but if worth it, I'm going to make the purchase. Do these rods have enough backbone to handle jumbo perch also. Do you use a spring bobber, or is the rod sensitive enough where you don't need one??
Any comments would be appreciated.
Michigan Hardwater Fisherman

Throne Bros rods are absolutely, far and away, the best ice rods made. Period. There were some posts recently commenting on rods where it was argued that there are comparable quality rods for much less money. That, in my opinion, is absurd. I own eight and since purchasing my first one many years ago, I have used them exclusively. I have a belief that you would as well.

The panfish rod you are referring to is great. There is no need for a spring bobber, or any bobber for that matter, even when you are fishing in deep water. The rod is incredibly sensitive and surprisingly strong. I've caught more big bass, walleyes, northerns, etc. on mine fishing for bluegills and crappies with 2 pound test than I can count, so I'm confident that it will handle any perch you can throw at it.

I went in last Saturday to buy some line and ended up purchasing their new outside walleye rod too. Now if I could just get out to my walleye spots.

So I would wholeheartedly endorse them. Buy one, you won't be disappointed.

Hands down the best rods on the market. I have bought one a year for the last 4 years and have no regrets.

I use a:
24 Pan sweetheart for jigging panfish

28 Pan sweetheart for deadstick/bobber crappies

28 walleye sweetheart for walleyes of course

32 deadstick for deadsticking eyes.

I supplement the rest of my arsenal with genz and first ice rods.

If ya got the $ go ahead and get one. I have used them and they are real nice but I do have some rods I had made and for less $ and they are just as nice. To each his own. You may want to check out Rod Engels Rods he is a fellow FMer.

I have been ice fishing for about 10 years and last year broke down an purchased a thorn bros rod. I thought that it was way too much money to spend on a rod, but I had some extra cash and decided to get one.

Well let me tell you, that rod was worth every penny. By far the best rod I have used. I went fishing with a buddy and he was using my old rod and I out fished him 3 to one. Granted he isnt as experienced as I am but that rod made all the difference.

As far as using a bobber, dont bother. You can feel and see the slightest hit with that rod. I actually purchased a heavier thorn bros rod for eye fishing. It is also great for setting the hook. Very sensitive to feel the bite and stiff backbone to set the hood.

If you dont want to spend that kind of cash, gander mountain is selling st croix ice fishing rods for 20 bucks. I havent used their ice fishing rods but their summer rods are great and so is the price for their winter rods.

Last word, dont be worried that it isnt worth the money. Thorn bros. rods are the real deal!!

I have 3 of 'em myself. Like others have said... they are, by far, the BEST. o to the Ice Fishing Show if you can... as they will have a bunch there.

------------------
-FNC

"get on the natch"

After breaking 3 ice rods in one season, I annied up and bought a professional with the bait caster reel seat. AWESOME! I love it, it has the backbone and sensitivity I need for serious northern jigging. They are expensive both worth it.

PS
I was smart and bought one for my wife when I ordered mine. I'm not good at sharing!

You won't be let down by a Thorne Bros. rod. I currently one just one, but I love it. I bought the 28" Sweetheart a few years ago, and it's the only rod I jig with for bluegills, crappeis, and perch. Works great. Awesome sensitivity, great backbone, with a good action to protect light line.
I bought a Genz rod, and the new St. Croix rod last year. While those are also good rods, the Thorne stick is head and shoulders above both.
I think I'm going to start collecting one every now and then. I'd like a good jigging stick for walleyes, and it might be nice to have a couple good 'gill rods rigged up.

If you have the money, go for it and don't look back!

gill man

I have 7 of them and I like them all except for the deadsticks. I have a panfish and a walleye deadstick and I almost never use them. But I do use the others, and the longer the better.

It's hard to say exactly why I don't like them. I guess the easiest way to explain it is that I didn't have confidence in them, and didn't leave them in the hole. Maybe it was line twist, or the difficulty in setting them up in the house, but I always feel a lot more comfortable with a ice buster bobber clipped to near-neutral bouyancy.

I've had the panfish deadstick for maybe 5 years, the walleye for a couple. Neither have been used much. I would certainly be willing to part with them, seeing as I never really use them.

Brad

GillSlayer - They are super nice rods and their craftsmanship is great but dont let these guys have ya believing your gonna catch more fish because you shell out 45 bucks for a panfish rod. There are many rods out there that are just as nice. It all comes down to personal preference. If I liked a certain rod id pay double for em, price dosent matter to me. Thier rods are too stiff for my preference and most of my panfish applications.
Dont buy one till you get to fondle it a little and see if its what you like. The name and price tag mean nothing!!!

I have the 36" professional plus. I love it for fishing deep walleyes and Lake Trout. I put a Shimano Sahara on it and it is sweet. I occasionally use that over my 28" walleye sweetheart just in case I ever catch that big one wink.gif

Butch

Years ago I was in the "Dog House" because I bought a Thorne Bothers rod. My wife could not understand why I could not use a cheaper rod.

The following year my wife decided to start ice fishing. When I went to grab my Thorne rod I could use it. My wife was using the rod. I asked her why she is not using her own (cheap) rod.

She then explained to me that the Thorne Brothers rod is:
1.) Lighter
2.) More senstive
3.) Likes the feel of the rod
4.) Likes how it handles the fish
5.) The list goes on......

My wife know is the proud owner of 6 Thorne Brother rods. She has instructed me that when I buy a Thorne rod she gets to buy a Thorne rod.