• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What have you lost down the hole?

EBass

Last year at the EelPout Festival, a friend of mine from Arizona took out his new retainer and put it in a cup, when he woke up in the morning, the cup was floating in the hole, and the retainer was gone. We had a guy with a aqua vue come over have a look see, The retainer was no where to be found.
Altho, we did find the bone from his steak on the bottom.

I had been building a house and last year for eel pout I had what looked like a shelf in the back with no shelf under it yet meant to put it in place first thing that weekend. My buddy tossed his leatherman up there fell through the hole where the shelf should have been. Hit my chair and bounced off the chair and into the hole. All water no ice.

The last few years Some friends and I have been going up to ELY ice fishing. We decided to all get 2-way radios to communicate between shacks. Needless to say, a few to many sasparillas and the radio numbers begin to dwindle. This year we rigged up a line that runs across the top of the inside of the shack the radio clips onto that and that way they're safe and can be slid from end to end. We've lost seven radios in three years, all in the same location.

My friend hit the side of my dad's fish house and knocked an ice scoop of its nail and down the hole it went. I lost a Leatherman when I tried making an adjustment on a tip up. I thought of trying to kick it on the way down, but I didn't think it would find the hole. Of course it did.

This may be unbelievable but here goes. I'll try to keep it short and sweet.
A few years ago four of us went to LOW. One friend has this "favorite" rod. As he was screwing around the "favorite" rod takes off across the floor and down the hole. He spends the next hour moaning and complaining about his "favorite" rod going deep six. Finally gets another line in the water and catches a small sauger. Pulls the line up half way to find another line and jig wrapped around the line. Pulls the fish in, keeps pulling on the other line. Up comes the "favorite" rod. To find out later the reason it was his "favorite" rod is because he swiped it from the guy he was fishing with the weekend before.
The very next year the same guy pulls the same stunt. Down the hole with the pole. He sits looking down the hole complaining about the "favorite" rod again. All of a sudden he is screaming to get the scimmer. He reaches down and pulls the rod out of the hole.
Unbelievable I know, but the sun shines on a dog's *@# once in a while.

Last year we were up on URL and I was in the process of cleaning the ice out of the holes and leaned over and down went my keys. I almost lost both sets of keys I had in my pocket but the second set didn't slide far enough. That same weekend my hubby's nephew lost his glasses down the hole, poor kid, things were a bit blurry for him the rest of the weekend. Darn URL Triangle.

Other than that we haven't lost much down the hole except the occasional jig. We've been pretty lucky.

Fishn'Lady

Ouch, car keys. Nice you had a spare set. But I think the glass eye takes the cake. Or maybe that lab that swam to the next whole. smile.gif Or possibly the glowing lantern.

I like all the stories behind the lost items.

Oh and I've lost a couple ice scoops to.

jigjigsk, you really have to keep an "eye out" when ice fishing! grin.gif Seriously though, just kidding. I had to say that. Man, I lost everything and anything atleast once to the lake while ice fishing. Last year while fishing at night on Island lake by Northome. My buddy was hole hopping trying to catch some walleye. He had just purchased a dump load of glow in the dark jigs. The container he had them in was broke and he had jigs scattered around the ice on a pitch black night. They fell out a few at a time without him knowing. With his pen light he wandered aimlessly for about an hour finding one or two jigs. I was napping on a cot and could see a little beam of light moveing around, so I says to him "What the heck are you doing? Looking for nightcrawlers?" He explained what had happened. Not being able to get any rest due to him acting like a prowler, I grabbed the high powered spotlight and shined the area he dropped them. As soon as I turned off the light, the ice lit up like a Christmas tree! Jigs glowing everywhere! It was actually sort of pretty. With that done, I went back to bed.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

I had just bought an Aqua Vu for my first Red Lake trip last year and when it was time to pack up i pushed the screen back and started to wrap the cord up, but forgot to tighten the nuts on the screen and out came the battery down the hole. Oh well atleast it wasn't the camera itself.

2 cell phones, a radio, several beers, one fishing pole, Leatherman, a clip on rattle reel...there's more...

The last incident was late ice last year when my buddy dropped his new, unopened bottle of "Ice Hole" schapps down the hole. That got some good laughs! grin.gif

AND to top it off, my 8" Strikemaster Lazer power auger head. The bolt snapped when it broke through the final 1/2" of ice and ploop!! I was wondering why the auger was so light after drilling that hole.... rolleyes.gifshocked.gif

With the help of my underwater camera and an Angel Eye lure, I did recover the auger head. I also recovered the rattle reel and leatherman with the help of the Angel Eye lure!! The large AE's are awesome recovery lures! smile.gif

[This message has been edited by CD (edited 12-03-2003).]

Had my dad, brother, and brother in law in the house a few years back and I noticed that my brother in law was fiddling with his wedding ring. . .

I heard a "cling" "clang" sound as if a ring had bounced off the floor and then I heard a "ploop". The ring was gone.

The lower half of a brand new hand auger. Drove an our and a half to take my girlfriend ice fishing, got out my new auger, spun a hole really fast with that sharp blade. As soon as I broke through the nut came off the handle and the lower half vanished into the pile of slush. I was left holding the handle. Luckily another guy on the lake loaned me his auger and saved the day.

Hey anybody need an extra handle for a Mora hand auger?

Waconia Bay: Only 1 item for me. Early ice...lost a chisel. Not because I pulled a Nancy move punching through, but actually when I finished with 4-5 holes, I went to spear it into the lake standing upright and hit a slush filled hole. I've never seen a chisel disappear so fast!

Waconia Bay: My dad lost my 'favorite' jiggle stick to a slimer.

Waconia-Pillsbury: An intoxicated lad dropped a cell phone down a hole in my house...another one of the guys (about 16 sheets to the wind) began harassing him using bubbly-speak and the phrase "hello....northern pike?"...it was not well taken.

Cedar Lake/my home: Finally, last year my buddy who most major loss to that date had been a mini mag lite bent over to scoop a hole and his cell phone dropped out of his shirt pocket. I'm on the other end of my 8x12' and just hear a scooping commotion and an 'ooooh noooo' muttered. I turned to see him holding a scooper full of ice and his cell phone! He had pinned it against the side of the hole with the scooper on the way down and in one quick motion got underneath it! I had to contain my laughter while the phone made noises I never knew a cell phone was capable of. I gave him the courteous 'man that sucks' while we dismantled the battery and set it on the shelf by the heater to dry. Hours later it worked again. As if this wasn't unbelievable enough, as my buddy left my house that very snowy Sunday afternoon he said 'now where's that cell phone?' I said 'you have to be kidding?'...nope. It was gone likely somewhere in the 6" of fresh snow. I found it in a snow bank that spring! Not only had I plowed the thing into a pile with my Sportsman, but it endured -30 deg.F nights...and still worked!

While fishing Upper Red with my son one evening we went to light the lantern and realized we had left it at home. Not a big deal since I had a 2 d cell maglite along. While catching a crappie the light slid off from the fish house bench seat, traveled straight out about 2 ft. and did a perfect swan dive into the hole. It stuck in the bottom battery end down of course and lit up the entire area under the fish house. As hard as we tried we could not hook the light. We fished a while longer and then packed up to leave. As we drove away you could look back see this mournful glow under the ice.

I dropped my keys down the hole on Rush in 22 fow. I had a retractable magnet in my tool box and just tied it on to some tip-up line and lowered it down the hole and just before it hit bottom it got a little heavier and when I pulled it up my keys were stuck on the magnet. Good thing my old Caprice had a trunk release button inside the glove box!