• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Making the switch

Jim W

If your like me, when things get slow or if fish are there and aren't responding, you switch up presentations.
This is geared mostly towards Jeff Beckwith's fine products the Angel eye and Glow devil.
I will throw others in the mix as well.

For example, When and if would you switch from an ANgel eye, slow dropping flutter spoon to a more defined heavier Glow Devil?

Also, how would you present them?

Last MArch on LOTW I fished close by to a friend who was using a Buckshot rattle spoon.

I had on a hammered gold Angel Eye.

It was the time of day/ mid-day where the "Jacks"(Northern Pike) were on the prowl.
To specify, I had a large mark showing interest in my spoon. A very large mark!

I honestly worked my spoon and that fish for 15 minutes...at least. After throwing outloud a few creative expletives I asked my friend to give this fish a shot.

With in seconds this fish slammed his spoon.
To follow was a very nice battle with a 39+ inch Jack.

What just happened here? Would a switch to a more similar profile or rattle bait pull the trigger? IN fact, 99% of my landed Jacks this day came on a tip-up, his by rod and reel?

This is one scenario of many. What I am getting at here( I hope), is opening up conversation in presentations with varied spoons and techniques.

WHat works, when to switch and how to use the separate spoons.

We all have our techniques and favorite spoons, but at times one way and spoon works best!

Thanks for bearing with me!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!!

Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 12-02-2003).]

This is the reason for having 20 rods in your arsenal. Retying = pain in *** . The one jig I keep out and ready on a separate rod is the forage minnow spoon. Anything from bluegills to walleye hits that baby depending on the bait type. Many times just changing the way you hook your bait does the trick, sometimes hooking a minnow through the tail on a spoon pulls the trigger. The key is to be quick and ready to change. One of the biggest triggers i've found is setting the spooon on the bottom with the minnow through the lips. this requires a sensitive rod and a light touch.

Good questions...To add to it, I was fishing for Craps(in a 2 manner)Slamming them. My buddy was'nt, he switched to exactly the same thing I was using, down to hooking the minnow. Nothing for him. I think some things are just unexplainable.

If I'm fishing an aggressive school of fish, say perch on Winnie, then I want a spoon that will get down fast so I can catch as many fish out of the school before they move on. Glow Devils will drop faster and when fishing a large active school of fish its good to have a lure that will get down quickly.

I like Angel Eyes in stained water because they give off a nice flash as they flutter down.

I like to tip Angel Eyes with minnow heads because it doesn't effect the fall that much and you get a little kick from the minnow head as you pop the spoon. Great action.

Glow Devils are good for both whole minnows and minnow heads. Maggots are good too for perch and crappies. Glow Devils have more distinct action and you can really mimic real minnow actions with them with a whole minnow tipped on them. The extra wiggle that the minnow adds is often a triggering mechanism for fish. Work a sequence and then let it pause for a second and watch the minnow twitch and wiggle. The fall is like a darting minnow and if you let it sit on the bottom and bottom bounce it will replicate a minnow pecking the bottom, hungry walleyes will snatch that up.

A lot of variations with these spoons and a lot of actions that can be used.

Switching from one to the other is often a matter of fishing heavy or light, or slow or fast. Each give off a different action and both catch fish.

Good Fishin,
Matt

------------------
[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum

I have had my luck change by switching color or from silver to gold flash. The Angel Eye gold with red has been a hot ticket for me especially on LOW. Another thing that I discovered accidentally a couple winters ago was hooking the minnow head through the side so the lips pointed down instead of hooking through the lips with the guts hanging down. It went from a so-so bite to an incredible bite just by having the lips pointing down. So simple a change but what results.......T

Good topic, As said earlier be ready to switch without a re-tie. I switch early and often. These are the 3 I always have ready, Demons, Fat Fry's and Angel Eyes. MJ you are right when the fish are there and biting get a heavy lure down there fast before the fish move.