• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is the strangest thing you've caught while ice fishing?

Lunker

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once I caught a baseball cap, loaded with various buttons and pins--it weighed a ton!

On another occasion I was ice fishing on Mille Lacs and jigging a swimming Rapala. I dropped it down and when I lifted it---it went off wildly to the side, every time I tried to reel, it skittered more. When I stopped reeling, resistance lessened. Well, to make a long story short, the rapala had dropped perfectly into an empty fruit cocktail can, and the angle was such that water resistance made it "swim" out to the side. The rest of the guys were practically helpless with laughter when it finally popped out the hole. Ticked me off though!

Its not the question of the strangest thing caught, its the question of who's fish is it. My wife and I were fishing when her bobber went down and she began to real up. Just then my bobber went down and I began to real up. The fish came up my hole with both my wifes and my lure in its mouth. I say it came up my hole , my fish . my wife says she caught it first. I just love these delemas. Whos is it?

A few of years ago on Mille Lacs a bunch of us were ice fishing out from Rocky Reef. Another guy sets up next to us about 75 yards away. After about 30 minutes he hooks into something big. He starts hoopin' and hollerin'. Everytime he reels it up, it takes more line down. We start wandering over there and he hollers for us to help him out. After about 15 minutes of this reeling up and line going back down, one of my buddies looks down the hole and says..."You hooked a G** **** rock!" He had snagged a rock and could get it off the bottom, but it would rise to a certain depth and sink again. He was quite embarrased!

On another trip up in Alaska we were fishing for Kings in a guided boat. The river was very crowded. It was just like "bumber-boats." This guy yells "Fish on!" and fights and fights and fights. After what seemed like 20 minutes, with everyone waiting, he hauls up a white plastic lawn chair!

Doods,

It depends. Was it a slimy pout or a 5 lb. eye? Did she have the keys to the truck (able to drive off when you only thought she was relieving herself) or did you plan on sleeping on the couch? Having been married for over 20 years it DOESN'T MATTER! Everything is hers whether you choose to believe or not. Like many other wives she probably often just lets you think that something is yours. When a group of them get together they are not laughing at a well-told joke, they are just commenting on how we think we're pulling something over on them. Either way, you're luckier than most to have her with you. You both win.

Kevin

Finally have a good story. The day after Christmas, I got together with a few freinds that were home for the holiday and took them to one of my stock dams for some perch, crappie,and bass action. One of my freinds brought his Murcum OVS camera. How COOOOL!
About 2 hours and a case and a half into fishing one of my buddy's poles went sliding slowly towards and then down the hole. He was torked but had wrote it off when we thought we'd try to find it with the underwater camera. Sure enough after drilling a while we found it and drilled a few more holes to get a lure hook on it and as I pulled it up, I felt some resistance. The fish was still on! I played it as easy as I could because all that held it was one hook in the cork handle. When the pole got to the bottom of the ice, my brother shot his arm down and extracted the pole and reeled in a jumbo perch. Since then I've tried to no avail to convice my wife that a camera is critical equipment. There you have it.
Les

once while ice fishing lake minnetonka bout 2o years ago my friends girlfriend caught a nude blonde woman by big island..had to call the sheriff to cut the whole in the ice big enough to retrieve the body...apparently she was missing since late summer...drowned while partying at al and almas...weird? and very freaky!

once while ice fishing lake minnetonka bout 2o years ago my friends girlfriend caught a nude blonde woman by big island..had to call the sheriff to cut the whole in the ice big enough to retrieve the body...apparently she was missing since late summer...drowned while partying at al and almas...weird? and very freaky!