• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable shelter License?

dfv87

Ok I went to the DNR site and read the regulation Regarding the Dark House shelter, bought my permit, but I am really confused.
Do I need to have my name and DL# in 2" letters on my portable? It does not stay out overnight ever or unattended. If I do need the letters how do I put them on and not deface my canvas? I have a frabill ranger XLTwin and they have a nice slot to put the license but I have never had my name and Dl# on my outside of my portable. I really don't want trouble but I also do not want to have to sew stuf on my canvas. Little help please.

What I did was made a page with my DL# on it in a word processor, and left room on the page to stick the license sticker.

Then I put the whole thing in one of those report covers to protect the paper.

Then I can slide the whole thing in and out of the designated space (sleeve) on the shelter.

This is really handy as I can move it from portable shelter to portable shelter (I have a couple of them).

It does fall a little short, in that because of paper size constraints, etc, the letters are only about 1.8" instead of the prescribed two inches...

Another option is if there is a spot on your shelter base/sled that will remain visible when the shack is up (not banked up with snow, etc) you can put the letters on the sled/base.

[This message has been edited by Jarrod32 (edited 12-01-2003).]

I got curious, and went back and dinked around in the Word file. Use a font called 'Placard Condensed' - make sure you are in 'Landscape' format - and you can get the letters to 2.25".

The format is A/xxx/xxx/ on the first line
and then xxx/xxx on the second line,
with enough room in the lower right for the sticker.

I have it in a Word file...if anyone wants it (I'm really opening myself up here) give me your e-mail and I can send you the file.

Forgot to mention...you have to go into the 'font size' and manually enter '200', and you will probably need to reduce your top and bottom margins to 0.5".

[This message has been edited by Jarrod32 (edited 12-01-2003).]

You can also use a wide Magic Marker on your canvas. I know it permanently marks it up, but what the heck, you bought it for yourself. The sticker inside of a Zip lock works, or stick it on a Coffee can lid with a string, that works too....Kaz

Funny story, last year I asked my wife to make a sign for me, I told her that I needed either my address or drivers license in 2 inch letters. well I got ready to go up to the whitefish chain and my wife hands me my sign, she thought I needed both so I had an big'ol card board sign that was about as big as one side or my portable..... Well a couple of days later, on the lake, a DNR officer wonders on over to where me and a buddy where fishing. As we start to pull out our license he says "No, I am sure that you are all legal, I just came over to see what the heck was on the side of your house. I have been doing this for 10 years and I have never seen such a large sign on a portable." Well at lest I gave the man a good laugh.....

JegerJack

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

I came up with this idea last week while at Gander Mtn. They had "license sleeves" made out of vinyl with a clear window on the front. They had them in camo and blaze orange. I think they're intended for states where you have to openly display your big game license on your body. The sleeve's about 10" long and 4" high, with a great big safety pin attached for pinning it to the shelter. I thought it would work well for my purposes since I fish out of any of 3 different portables depending on conditions.
I think a paid $2 for it. I plan on printing my DL # on a piece of paper just large enough to fit in the sleeve.

All these years of never displaying my information on my shelter I've never received a ticket or even a warning, I've always just carried my shelter license in my wallet with my other licenses......but....this year I don't think I'll take any chances.

[This message has been edited by Twitter (edited 12-02-2003).]

Twitter:

You are right about the purpose of those sleeves. In Wis., you have to put your deer license in there and wear it on your torso.

Sounds like a good idea for the shelter requirements, but how are you going to fit all those numbers in that space? The regs don't say how WIDE the characters have to be, but if they're 2 inches tall they'll need to have some width to be legible, and there are a lot of numbers on a Minnesota D.L. #. grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]