• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

5 or 11 lb propane tanks?

I have a Mr. Heater Buddy heater for my Clam Jr. and am getting tired of buying and disposing of those small 1 lb tanks all the time. I did purchase the optional hose so I could hook up to the 20 lb tank I use on my gas grill but its too heavy and bulky when I have to walk out ice fishing. I am either going to buy the 5 or 11 lb tank and was wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions?

Depends on how light or compact a system you need really?

On my old Fish Trap I tarp strapped the 10# tank under the bench seat. Or with the 5# I strapped it upright between the two bench seats and extended the hose through the center.

A 5# will last a weekend fairly easily, the 10# will make most of a week of use.

I like the 5# just because it is light and smaller and you can easily fit the tank, hose, and a radiant heater in a 6 gal bucket.

What ticked me off was when the new valves were needed, it cost more to switch the valve then it was for a whole new tank. That kinda stung a bit.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

I have used a 5lb er for years in my guide. To eliminate the running out, I purchased a second 5lb er. One sits in the truck unless I know I'm runing low. I like to ravel light, but do not want to run out of juice when I need it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will go with the 5 pounder and just refill it before I go out everytime. I just did'nt want to run out in the middle of the lake and if the 5 pounder lasts a week-end I should'nt have any problems. I am just leaving for the new Gander Mtn. by Forest Lk. to pick one up. It kind of sucks that the 5,11 & 20 pounders are all the same price though. Thanks again!

I saw that they were all the same price to. 30 bucks. Anyone know how much the fittings and hose will run? Also, can that be picked up at Gander or a place where Hank Hill works? (bad joke)

I've only used the one lb tanks and think they are great except when it's real cold then they loose pressure. I'm going to get the 5 lb tank one of these days.

I think the hose and regulators run about $15 +/- a buck or so?

It is the same thing as the Mr. Heater hose & regulator if you locate them anywhere.

A Cenex that service propane stuff should have them, or the components to build one to size for you?

Check what pressure your heater needs to operate with so the regulator match's up properly.

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 12-01-2003).]

You might wanna check if your favorite tank refiller has a minimum charge(fee),Mine does. Went with the 11lb., 22 years ago, never regreted it. The little extra weight is a small inconvience, runnin' out during a hot bite is a major PAIN.

------------------
NOBODY ever died, wishing they had fished....LESS!!

Just to make sure I'm covered, I have a 5# and two 11#'ers. The 5 is great for this time of year when you need to be a light as possible. Later I'll switch to the 11, and keep the other 11 filled and ready in the truck.

------------------
Love them 'Pout!

Here is a guide to fuel consumption per tank size...

4,000 BTU's
tank size/hrs per tank
1lbs 5.5hrs
5lbs 27hrs
11lbs 59.4hrs
20lbs 108hrs

8,000 BTU's

1lbs 2.8hrs
5lbs 13.5hrs
11lbs 29.7hrs
20lbs 54hrs

All times are approximate and results may vary.

This should give you an idea of how long a tank will last.

IceC

------------------
Have an Ice day :)