• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Got lucky yesterday on first ice.

tightlines

My nephew and I sure got lucky yesterday. We got set up in seperate flip ups about 3:30 and my nephew had a 14" slab and 3 other 12's by 4:15. Old tightlines didn't catch one till about 4:30. It was so nice to see that bobber wiggle and slowly go under. We ended up throwing back several 5" to 8"rs, but by 7:15 we each had 9 beauties.WOW did we have a ball for the first mini trip of the season. No wind,32 degrees,geese everywhere,and that bobber floating. I really want to go again today but the wind is suppose to blow up to 45mph today. That takes the fun out of most trips in small portables. There was good 6" to 8" of solid ice. We were over in the Detroit Lakes area. Having fresh crappies for supper tonight. Gonna taste really good because we haven't had fresh Minnesota fish for about 4 months.

I was really surprised when we popped a hole and measured. Hope it stays cold now and keep adding inchs. It is always fun when ya get into some good crappie action, especially on the first ice trip of the season. Hope it's a sign of a good season. Course I quess as long as we are on the ice and catching a few its a good season........

Tightlines, Glad to hear you were wetting a line this weekend. Did the same at L.O.W. this weekend with excellent results. Had to keep my Fancy house up on shore though and use the Otter as the Ice was only 5.5 to 6.5 " thick. Not quite enough to risk your investment if you know what I mean. Didn't matter any way cause you'll be done in a couple of hours. Wind on Sunday didn't break the existing ice up which is a plus. So maybe, just maybe we'll have enough by this coming weekend to camp. Bring plenty of BAIT!

Respectable! Seems like the little ones from last year[that you couldn't keep off the hook] are about 13" this year. Lots of em too! Then every once in a while a 16-17 will slam you. Sauger size was impressive where I was. Five of us filled in an hour or so. Kinda wish it would have taken longer. Tough weekend on the old Beer Box.