• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice conditions

That is what I expected. I would think that the ice would still be fine but the accesses are causing the problems and could even keep wheelers on shore. The landings on both Anglers bay and Millers bay were both nearly impassible last weekend with either a truck or quad.

I saw a couple of trucks on Emerson Bay Wednesday night, but the shorelines were really breaking down yesterday with the warm temps. We walked on yesterday, fished for about 4 hours during the warmest part of the day, and were amazed how much slush we had to slog through to get off. I agree...a few more warm days and I think it'll be over.

After fishing the lakes last weekend I am hopeful we will have one more week on the ice. The shoreline on Anglers Bay is still holding up well for the time being and the point in Trickles Slough hasn't opened up too far. There was still plenty of traffic there and on the grade as well as a few people fishing perch off of marble beach.

There was still limited vehicle travel on Millers Bay but the landing isn't looking too good as is to be expected this time of year.

All kinds of trucks on Emerson and Little Emerson Monday morning. We took the safe route and walked out, but felt a little foolish after drilling through more than 2 feet of ice out there. I'm sure with the last couple of warm days the shoreline access will begin to break down a bit.

Last I knew, a fisherman fell thru ice in Denison, Iowa. (made the news here in NE) Can't remmy the name of that lake....so I guess ice is starting to melt away now in Iowa...

I have been wondering the same thing. While we were out last weekend the ice on the lake was still very good for this time of year with 18-20" in most places. The shorelines were still holding up pretty well in most places with Emersons bay being the best I seen it also had the biggest group that we found. This is as of sunday but with the snow and temps we had this week I am sure things have changed significantly in the last 5 days.

Here's a lake cam of Smith's Bay. It's supposed to be current, but the best I could do was a picture of the bay on Wednesday morning.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

I was out this morning on Emerson Bay, took the 4wheeler out to little emerson area from the boat landing. Shorelines getting iffy but should be ok on Saturday. Plenty of ice. I am going out again in the morning, could be the last hurrah! Fishing was slow. Perchpounder give me a call.

Interesting. Any reports from Angler's Bay? I may just have to make one last trip to Labrador Lane before ice out.

The webcam image I seen from 5:30 today looked as though Smith's Bay was open but I can't be too sure the resolution isn't very good. This isn't much of a surprise as its usually one of the first places to open due to the current going between the lakes.