• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Furnace Humidifiers?

New Yankee

Although I never got around to it this Winter, I'd considered adding a powered furnace humidifier. A buddy said they aren't that difficult to install, and he'd probably go with a powered model over a passive one.

Spoke with others who advise against either type and promote stand alone plug in room models. What do the HVAC guys think?

Thanks

New Yankee

Get a bypass one, haff the money of a power Hum.

Set it at 35 or 40 and forget about it. If you start to notices water on your windows

then turn it back a little. Your home furnishing will soak up a lot of moisture

so don't expect it to happen over night.

Most important change the panel once a year. If you have real hard water you may

have to change it twice a winter. (Turn the water OFF in the spring.!) In the summer

when you turn A/C on you don't won't the Hum. coming on.

DO NOT BUY A WHEEL TYPE HUMIDIFIER........... There junk.

Roofer

Keep your day time job

HA, by the time you see it on your windows, imagine what is inside your walls and in your trim, wood, steel screws, nails, paper drywall. Do some research.

Same to those in newer homes who turn off their air exchangers. There is scientific info out there. You need to go find out what you are doing before you change anything in a house.

Roofer

I tried not to read to much into New Yankee ? other then to answer it.

I do not know the home or how tight it is. I can only assume you don't ether.

If IM wrong thin I APOLOGIES.

Air to air heat exchangers are great things but he did not say he had one.

If I lived in his hood Id love to sell him one. Or at the very least see if he needed one.

No, I don't know the house.

Since you install these. What is the difference between the an air exchanger and a heat exchanger. I learned about this a few days ago, but just a little of it. Is there an advantage to either?

The one thing I do remember is that for code they must run 24/7.

Roofer

Long story short. Fresh air heat exchanger uses heat from the furnace exhaust

to temper the make up air coming back in the house.

As for other advantages it's all about the claimant were you live.

Air to air exchangers use room temp air.

Hope this helps.

Im not much on long + complicated explanations. I much prefer the

KISS priceable. Most customers prefer it that way

Originally Posted By: New Yankee
Although I never got around to it this Winter, I'd considered adding a powered furnace humidifier. A buddy said they aren't that difficult to install, and he'd probably go with a powered model over a passive one.

Spoke with others who advise against either type and promote stand alone plug in room models. What do the HVAC guys think?

Thanks

N Yank all I'll say is think of your ducts with the moisture going through them.Moisture + warmth = great breeding grounds for mulitiple germs,molds & whatever dust grit is blown through the system.

Thanks guys - if it is important, the house is 5 yrs old, reasonably tight. Furnace is the 80 or 85% natural gas efficiency. We bought the house just after it was framed, and were asked about an exchanger but it seems like it was going to be 3.5K or so and needed additional room in the basement closet area that houses our HVAC and hot water heater. Not having ever owned a house with one of these, we passed.