• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum LX-3 IR?

Bob Horn

Ed, good points. I wasn't saying that the feature is useless. I just think the average user will not benefit enough to make this feature a determining factor. I've fished a lot of steep drops with the 20 deg. cone and never had an issue with dead zone. I rarely fish over 30' on the bottom though - where you may start to see more of a difference. The combination of deep water and steep drops are an application where you may see some gain by the reduced signal cone area. Even with the 9 deg. transducer, you won't eliminate the dead zone, but you will reduce it some.

You'll need to weigh your options. I look at the following features on the LX-3 that in my mind give it a definite edge over the competition.

• adjustable zoom
  • improved target separation throughout the water column
  • automated battery charger (no need to unplug the unit after every charge - charger maintains the battery level once charged)
  • less interference

When I fish real deep water, it is typically for suspended fish. The LX-3 allows me to zoom into the suspended school. Typically when I fish on the bottom, I'll be in the 30' or less depths, in which the cone size on the 20 deg. transducer works great. You'll have to think about what you want out of the unit. If you fish a lot of steep breaks in deep water and don't fish suspended fish at all, the 9/19 may prove to be more useful for your applications. You do increase the price of the unit as noted above if you go up to the 9/19 on the Vex. Your looking at another $40 over the base price of the Vex. and the MarCum unit. I would go the 9/19 route if I was to fish a Vex. I believe the 12 deg. standard transducer will limit you (especially in shallow water).

[This message has been edited by Dan Wood (edited 11-30-2003).]

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eddy - I can see your point where you would wan't a narrower beam especially for walleye fishing off of narrow steep breaks or structure. Just about all my guys don't walleye fish but I can see the value in having a narrower beam for those applications. I never said a narrower beam is useless but for most applications in our area (slow tapered basins are few) it is not required. With a wider beam you can just pull off a little bit more off of the structure and still see fish but if there tight to the structure or drop the narrower beam would be a definite advantage. I don't fish walleyes but can see your point is critical for this application.

Thats exactly why I use the dual ducer. I fish mainly panfish and walleyes. I fish the rocks and being limited to the 19 degree can hamper your ability to see fish. Say I'm fishing in 20 feet of water on the rocks. My angle would be about 6.5 feet. My signal is going to hit the tallest rock on bottom and return that signal. Any fish that may come in below that area will not show on the dial. If I'm using a 9 degree at the same depth, I can cut that dead zone in half and double my chances of seeing fish.
The 19 degree works well on suspended panfish. The FL-18 and the FL-8SE both have a target separation of 2.5 inches which is more than enough to mark fish. I just dont see the need to zoom in a fish that are 10 or even 20 feet down. If there down there your going to see them on any flasher.
And I'm not convinced that power and watts have anything to do with interference. Most guys using the FL-8 or 18 are probably using the 9 or 12 degree cone while most guys using the LX3 are using the standard 20 which creates a larger cone thus interfering with the Vexilar. Interference is cause by transducer frequency. I used a 3,000 watt Lowrance X-85 with a 20 degree cone two feet apart from a 1600 watt Vexilar Edge with a 38 degree cone and got absolutely no interference at all.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
651-271-5459
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Derek with the 9 the target separation is 1", and with the 19 it is 2.5 inches. With the tighter focus of the beam, and an adjustment to the gain, it allows you the extra tight definition.

I was not certain of this until I double checking the specs on duel beam performance. So you can gain significant definition with the 9.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Ed,
I'm glad you brought that point up. There are definitely uses for different cone angles with respect to dead zones. It really doesn't effect you much until; you get into much deeper water. I also have to point out that the picture you put up is not entirely accurate, although it is a good illustration to get the concept across.

The cone doesn't stop at the shallowest depth. The sounder keeps reading down. So it isn't a true DEAD zone in the truest sense of the word. While extremely difficult, it is possible to read fish in the so called dead zone.

As you get more skilled in depth finder use the 9/19 is handy to have when you understand it's uses and you fish both types of situations frequently. I've used it for years.

For most users the single cone angle is what is going to be used. The fl18 doesn't come standard with the 9/19 ducer.

For those who don't plan to be experts on depth finder cone angles I have to give the MarCum LX3 the advantage over the fl18 this year for overall value.

I highly recommend that you also weigh Ed and Derek's comments carefully as well. The both know their Vexilars well and have a lot of knowledge to offer.

As for me, I can tell you that I use both. I'm a Vexilar fan and probably always will be. They have put me on top of a lot of fish and help me become a better angler while helping me to read the fish's moods.

With that in mind I have to say,
The MarCum target seperation is better, the MarCum adjustable zoom is better, and the MarCum interference rejection is flat out better. These are important factors to be considered when making your depth finder decision. I don't think you can go wrong getting either unit.

Just don't get a Vex and expect to over-power the MarCum because you just can't do it.

It's ok though because the Vex users can just watch their buddies MarCum to see their baits and fish coming to them smile.gif

We've done it and it works out fine.

Has anyone used the LX3 in very deep water - 100'+? I am interested in how the unit performed - were you able to adjust and see your bait? Did it mark fish? Etc.?

I fish for lakers several times a year in two spots that are 100-200 ft deep. The fish are always right on the bottom. I would like to know how the 20 degree cone works at these depths.

Thanks

ScottO,
In 100-200' depths, the zoom will really shine. I'd take adjustable zoom over the bottom zoom in this situation personally (along with the wider angle transducer) unless most of the fish are within 6' of the bottom.

Transducer angle is a tough call. The signal cone diameter would be 15.7' vs. 35.3' (9 deg. vs. 20 deg. transducer) @ 100'. This is where you really start to notice a major difference in transducer angle. Not a typical fishing situation for the majority of people.

If the fish are mainly within 6' of bottom and that is the type of fishing you do mostly, the FL-18 with the 9 deg. transducer option would be worth taking a hard look at. If you need to be able to move your zoom for suspended fish, you'll definitely appreciate the adjustable zoom feature on the LX-3. Both units will easily mark fish on the bottom at that depth. You may pick up weak signals on the outer edge of your cone from fish that are out of range of your bait (more with the wider signal cone). It isn't going to hurt anything to see those fish on the outer edge of the signal cone, you will clearly see the signal become stronger as they move towards the center and the signal strength improves.

[This message has been edited by Dan Wood (edited 12-01-2003).]

Dan -

Thanks for the info. The lakers I target typically hang tight to the bottom, along with a few whitefish. The fishing is on a large inland lake in WI (Big Green) and on Chequamegon Bay on Lake Superior. Water can be as deep as 200'. I have used FL8 and FL18 and with the 9 and 12 degree cones. The FL18 zoom was great for watching the lakers come up off the bottom and chase your bait. I found the 19 degree to be useless in much more than 40 ft. You have to turn the gain up too high to see your bait near the bottom and the entire display gets very cluttered. I was concerned the same would happen with the LX3.

Of course I only fish in these conditions about 6-10 days per winter. The rest of the time I fish in 5-25 feet of water like most people. That is why I was curious about the LX3. I like the FL18, but like anybody else, you always can have more toys grin.gif

Pretty extreme conditions to ask a sonar to cover everything from 5-200'!

ScottO

I sold the FL-8, now it`s decision time. I can get a new marcum LX-3 for $350 or $479 FL-18 dual beam. I talked to both companies and of course something new will be out next year. I`m not worried about the money difference, I know vex but don`t know marcum. I love to use the dual beam but like the idea of the adjustable zoom. Fish On [email protected]

bhorn- Get em both if you can afford it that way you'll have everything covered. Yep things are changing, wireless transducers, 3 way split display one entire water column, two zoom and three video. If your hooked on the zoom and options the only choice is MarCum.

I read most of the responses, but may have missed this.

A transducer is just an antenna, seems like it would be obvious to Marcum to market a different Xducer next year to compete with the dual on the Vexilar. Does anyone have a contact at Marcum they could ask about that possibility? I'm gonna get the Marcum and will bet that I'll be getting a dual (or tri-) transducer for it next year! Anybody want to bet?

Later,

------------------
Don "AJ" Peacock
[email protected]

Lapeer, Michigan

I talked with the guys at Marcum yesterday and they said they are going to have a dual beam next year. They are getting the molds ready for the transducer now. They did say if I bought the unit this year and bought the dual beam transducer only next year it would work fine. I hope Vex let`s us know something soon because I`m now leaning toward Marcum and will buy the dual beam next year. Fish On

bhorn,
The only real negative that anyone seems to be able to come up with on the MarCum is that they don't offer the dual beam transducer, which as you pointed out will be an option next season and can be used on any of the LX-3's. Sounds like a great option for those that fish a lot of deeper water and steep breaks. Good luck with your decision, you'll be very happy with either of these units!

Guys,

I plan on getting a Marcum for Ice fishing, my question is. I want to use it with a transducer on my electric trolling motor in the summer. So if I get it with that transducer this year, is it gonna be a pain in the butt to use on the ice? Then next year, I can get the dual beam for ice fishing?

Opinions?

Thanks,

Ok I totally understand the difference between the vex and the marcum, but I have a ? that I didn't see the answer yet. I have a fl-18 and all my buddies have fl-18's or fl-8's, and I am thinking of buying another unit for my wife since she always wants to use mine when she comes along. Will the Marcum interfere with the vexilars making them useless or at the very least give them alot of static noise?
I love my fl-18, but the marcum does sound like a good deal for what you get, on the other hand, I don't have enough money to buy new ones for me and all of my buddies, plus there is nothing wrong with my fl-18.

I can honestly say I have never had a use for my dual beam transducer. For me the wider the cone angle the better. I like to see both my baits when I am fishing close.

I am also willing to bet very few of the Vexilar users out there have ever used a dual beam transducer and most have no need for one.

I consider it a specialty item with limited benefits. Yes benefits, but limited.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com