• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trading Down

zachp

Question

I have a 04 3/4 ton chevy crew cab with the 6.0 litre and 63,000 miles. After a year of owning it I have decided that I don't need the 3/4 ton and I'm wanting to get back into a 1/2 ton with the 5.3. I'm moving to ak this summer and vehicles up there usually take a pounding so I don't want anything new, maybe a 01 or 02. Has anyone ever traded down for a older/cheaper vehicle at a dealership? I would think that I would be better off trying to sell it by myself but don't like the hassle that comes with that.

2 answers to this question

You can do it at a dealership, but do not expect any major deals.

I would sell out right on the net (FM might be a good place to sell your truck) and then look at dealers, but look at the same sites for what you want.

That is what I would do.

Don't be so quick to dump that 3/4 ton at a dealership and think you're not going to get a deal.

I know that my dealer is ALWAYS looking for 3/4 tons. I'm on the list of people to call when they get someone that's looking for one, to see if they'll want to trade, at any time.

There's alot of guys that want the 3/4 tons, and it's hard to find them used because the guys that have them usually keep them for work and drive them into the ground.

The market is flooded with 1/2 tons for the very reason that you said, you don't need the 3/4 ton. I'd bet that if you checked around, you could pretty easily just about have an even swap for an 04 or even 05, if you've got a dealer that's worth dealing with.

Even check on websites like Carsoup, Edmunds, hsolist, etc., and you'll see that there's a premium on the 3/4 ton market.