• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lure making

Scoot

Question

I've got a ten year old nephew who'd like to get into making fishing lures. Can someone point me in the right direction as far as the best way for him to get started? Are there any kits that'd be good to start? Any suggestions appreciated.

9 answers to this question

I make almost all of my tackle. I can hook him up with just about anything you would need to get started. I would suggest starting with a fly tying vice and a few plain jig heads to get started. If he sticks with it you can start making the jig heads yourself. There are many tutorials on the web for jig tying. I also would suggest starting with small crappie jigs. They are easy to make. There is nothing like catching fish on your own stuff. >

Barlows has spinner bait kits, lure bodies(painted and non painted). They have books and cds on tackle making. All the components you need. Order a catalog online and you can look though it with him and find some nice projects to work on. I think the lure bodies are all plastic or foam now though. Good luck its a fun hobby.

Scoot - Stamina out of minneapolis has a mail order catalog. All kinds of musky lure components[blades, beads, bucktails, blank spinnerbait heads, wood musky blanks, etc...] and bass stuff too. StaminaInc

Another good one is Moores Lure Co. out of Wisc pretty much the same as Stamina but geared a little more towards musky, and has a little more variety of musky stuff. I deal with him quite a bit, nice guy. I believe you can find his number in the classifieds section of Musky Hunter Magazine.

I'm sure your nephew can find more than enough components to keep busy for quite a while in these two books, and who knows maybe in a few years we'll see his lures on the market. Beware of the musky bug.