• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

March Challenge is a Tree or Trees-Post Here

Dbl

WriteOutdoors, that is a nice shot, I like the soft background and the white snow or frost gives a nice contrast to the photo. I'm wondering if cropping a bit off the left side of the shot would give you a stronger image? It may or may not but I would take a look and see it it does anything for the shot.

DeeDee, I like the shot but would point out two things. The first thing my eye caught was the horizon being crooked. It makes me turn my head just a bit to look straight on, that is a very easy thing to fix in most any post processing program.

The second thing is a focal point. Where is my eye going when I look at the shot? Steve mentioned in a another post about a environmental shot. It is showing things going on a wide area and at times that can be effective. I think this shot could benefit from something to draw my eye into the shot.

I thank both of you for posting photos, this should really encourage others to participate. Remember you don't have to ask for C&C, if the photo fits the challenge post away. But if you want some help with your shots post for C&C, you can do whatever works for you.

One thing we were hoping for was for people to post the particulars of their shots. Focal length if known, ISO, shutter speed, aperture at least basic information. This really helps if you are looking for C&C and for others wondering how the shot was obtained.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Dbl

One thing we were hoping for was for people to post the particulars of their shots. Focal length if known, ISO, shutter speed, aperture at least basic information. This really helps if you are looking for C&C and for others wondering how the shot was obtained.

I was changing settings on my camera the whole day. Unfortunatly I still dont know what I'm doing but I'm working on it. Here's the info from my camera.

1/320 8.0 ISO 400

Thanks DeeDee that helps. It looks like you had good settings for your shot. I would say you are progressing along nicely. It really just will take a bit of time using the camera and it will become very second nature.

MountainDew--I actually didn't use my macro lens for that photo. I used my 18-55 and just got as close to the branches as I could. I played around with the aperture to see if I could get the entire thing into focus but it just didn't work out. The photo looked okay on the viewfinder but when I put it up on the computer I loved how sharp the closest branch was in the face. I've taken a few others since but the light was just right that morning and hitting the sun just perfect.

Great comments guys...thanks. The light was early morning just as that golden sunlight is pouring over the horizon. I love that light but sometimes it does "cool" things down a tad. It's a nice contrast to the "warm" light at sunset.

That was not done with a point and shoot. I don't ever use my point and shoot. I have an EOS Rebel Digital 6.3 that I use. I'd love to trade it up for an XTi but I need to sell my Canon GL2 to afford that purchase.

I adjusted the contrast a bit on the photograph but didn't want to tinker too much otherwise. I'm kind of a purist with my photos and don't like to play with them too much. Don't get me wrong, I like to play around and see what can be done. But in the end, I just hit reset image, go back and tweak a few little things and then run with it.

Those are really great shots everyone!! This was a hard assignment during this month. It's hard to find a tree that has enough Character during the winter. I think this qualifies as a tree. It used to be anyway. It thought it was different enough to stop and shoot.

030708_SwansandotherWaterfowl_4070c.jpg

2008_03060006.jpg

I was on my way to Breckenridge to babysit the niece and nephew. Thought of this post when I went by this tree. Nothing special about the picture but the tree comes with a story. Growing up, we used to get to come to Minnesota and fish with Grandpa. He used to tell us this tree was half way from his house in Barnesville to his pontoon on Lida. It's known in the family as halfway tree. We are SOOO original.

ISO: 64

1/416th sec

f6.3

14.1mm

comments welcome.

Ok My turn. Nothing fancy, just a row of trees that caught my eye while driving down the tree less wonder of North Dakota. CC Welcome.

Shot in Aperature Priority; 1/500, f6.7, iso 100, 85mm, Shot in Raw handheld with a Canon XTi with 17-85 IS USM with hood and a Hoya circular Polarizer.

IMG_8237copy.jpg

Man, it WAS an hard challenge for me! Been out for many walks through the woods so many times and haven't liked the trees I've taken. Just too ordinary. So I stopped at my mother's house for a visit a little while ago. Told her what I was doing, and how hard it was to look for a tree for this challenge. She wacked my head and told me that at the back of her woods there was this special weird tree that had been there forever. I had forgotten all about it! So I went and looked at it. I decided that that was the tree for this challenge.

But I wanted some snow on it. Finally this morning it snowed a bit, So I drove to my mother's place and went out to take a couple of shots at this tree. (I missted an hour of work!) Only problem was that I didn't like the cloudy day, which makes the sky all blah, just plain white, crappy.

So, I decided to try HDR (high dynamic range) on this tree. With 3 different exposure compensation settings...

1st pic 1/30sec., -2/3 exposure

2nd pic 1/100sec., +1 exposure

3rd pic 1/320sec., +2 2/3 exposure

All of them were taken in evaluative metering, AF Mode AI Focus, EF20-35mm f3.5-4.5 USM at F5.6 and ISO 100.

After the HDR, I copied another layer, then converted to b/w, PP the color to pop out the colors on the tree, while the vines and background are b/w.

I'm still learning this, so C&C is a must for me! Hopefully you can give me some pointers what can be improved on this picture. Hope you enjoy this tree. I know I did. \:\)

treetwistflattenbig.jpg

Thanks. I'm a little bummed out. This morning it snowed another 2 inches here. I should have waited till today to take the picture! mad.gif Oh well. \:\/

Worked on that last night. Took me a while. I was so excited that I finished it, and wanted to upload the picture right away. Now that I see it again this morning..I realized that I might have overdone this with this halo. I don't like it now. Should have waited till the next day to have a "fresh mind" to look at the picture again. I should have uploaded the picture without the halo. One of the rules of this challenge is to post only once. Too late. Rats!

I just wish I could post this picture bigger than 800 pixel long side...it doesn't do justice when I can't show the bigger picture. Heck..I'll just post a link here to show you a bigger picture of the tree without the halo.

Just all you know..the first picture counts for the challenge. I just wanted to show you a bigger picture, that's all. Hope you don't mind... eek.gif