• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Post your eclipse pics here!

I'm taking a look from work, and our filters won't let all the photos come through. I'll get to see them all tonight, but so far all the work I've seen has been tremendous.

I tended to underexpose the total eclipse. Steve was standing right next to me, and we were bantering back and forth what we were trying to do and it seems I got to the full eclipse and didn't change my ISO when I changed my manual settings. I think my brain, as well as my fingers, wasn't working right! Will check tonight and see if anything can be salvaged.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hemi, I downloaded a free photoshop action from the Web site of photographer Ryan Desjardins. You need photoshop CS or later to run it. Can't post a link, but the name will get you there.

There also are other cheap programs out there that make frames easily.

Great shots Everyone!! I've had some time to check things out and ended up with some decent ones. I learned a lot during the process. I had a bunch with too slow shutter speed during the peak so they were blurry. Who'd have thought that the earth moves that fast. Wow. Here's my results.

170mm f5 2 sec. ISO 200 Tripod with remote

022008_Eclipse_3394.jpg

500mm f6.3 1 sec. ISO 200 Tripod w/remote

Combo.jpg

Settings varied. All w/ tripod and remote

Pano.jpg

Great job by everyone, these look great! Mike I like both sides of the eclipse, very nicely done! Did the cooler trick work for you keeping the camera warm? One of my cameras sat out for 3 hours and it stayed cool, not warm but it wasn't cold at all.

Dan, thanks, that cooler trick did a good job until about 10:30 then it started to get pretty cold. Then again, so was I. That was quite the handy trick. Hopefully I won't have to use that one any more this year.

Boy, you're not kidding, Mike. My camera stayed warm enough to function. I barely did, and by the last half hour was running barely on instinct. I taped the hand warmers to the inside of the bomber hat to put on the camera, and when I took it off to shoot should have had the good sense to put it on my head instead of on the ground. crazy.gif

A half-hour warm drive home, however, perked me back up and I was able to get several series in my driveway just before the moon began emerging from the earth's shadow. Pretty DARN happy to get back in the house, though.

Hope that next eclipse is in SUMMER, but of course Ken and I were joking about that and how bad the blackflies and mosquitoes would be then. grin.gifgrin.gif

Oh mosquitoes, how I miss them so! confused.gif Wait a minute! I don't know what I dislike more, the bugs or the cold. I'd sure like the bugs now though, I think. crazy.gif

Dukhnt, thanks alot Buddy. You know me, I like the computer stuff almost as much as taking the pictures themselves.

Originally Posted By: stfcatfish
This looks like a lot of nice work so far.

When you all have time, could you please post your exif and other info like tripod or timer or remote release? Lots of different ways to do things, and it's a great learning tool to see how each photographer may approach things in different ways.

I had shot mine thru the window,so I didn't bother posting the exif-sorry bout that:

Canon 30D,400mm,Pella Pro Series Double Hung Sash Window,F9,1/60TV,tripod,in camera timer.

Not on the scale with some posted, this is my sequence shot. These spanned about 15 minutes early in the eclipse. Canon Mark II, 300 mm 2.8 with a 1.4 TC. ISO 200, f7.1 an shutter varied between 1/80 and 1/30.

Eclipse-sequence.jpg

Steve - bottom line is that damage is minimal! Thanks, buddy!

Wow there are some really great, creative ways to show off the eclipse here.

Originally Posted By: Deitz Dittrich
Wow, Handheld johnk.. that is amazing...

Thanks Deitz! Two or three shot bursts, a decent shutter speed, VR and lots of practice last summmer \:\) really help.

Originally Posted By: Dbl
Looks like there were quite a few frozen photographers out last night. It also looks like everyone had great results! As JohnK said these don't come around all that often so it is nice to get even a few shots.

Fortunately for me it was only about 40 deg (above zero grin.gif)

Originally Posted By: Dbl
The next one for us is Dec. 21, 2010 so lets hope its a bit warmer!

Dang, I knew the next one was 2010 but was hoping it would be in the summer - in Dec chances are it will be overcast here again. As luck would have it tonight is pretty clear, Tuesday night was clear but the night with the show was cloudy (sigh).

Originally Posted By: stfcatfish
This looks like a lot of nice work so far.

When you all have time, could you please post your exif and other info like tripod or timer or remote release? Lots of different ways to do things, and it's a great learning tool to see how each photographer may approach things in different ways.

No tripod or remote release for me this time, I was using a pretty high shutter speed and didn't need it. Here's the EXIF from mine:

Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION

Camera Model: NIKON D80

Image Date: 2008:02:20 21:55:29

Flash Used: No

Focal Length: 300.0mm (35mm equivalent: 450mm)

Exposure Time: 0.0031 s (1/320)

Aperture: f/8.0

ISO equiv: 100

White Balance: Auto

Metering Mode: Matrix

Exposure: Manual

Exposure Mode: Manual

The moon got so bright later in the evening I went up to 1/800th for some unobstructed full moon shots.

DSC_6889_Full_Post_Eclipse_Cropped.jpg

Here is what I put together from the eclipse. That was a cold shoot for sure. It really is amazing how fast the earth rotates. I took several shots slower that 1 sec exposure that went right in the trash due to motion blur. I agree with Dan that 1 sec is as slow as you can go. I learned another great lesson last night. When it is -10 outside, don't hold your aluminum mini mag light in your mouth. I am just glad no one else was around to snap a shot of me trying to separate a flashlight from my lips. \:\)

eclipse.jpg