• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

boats - - what to do?

Drew

Question

I just got back from the boat show - WOW. It's a little early to start thinking about open water fishing but it does make the winter seem a little shorter. My question is...Has anybody fished out of a Lund Angler SS? How are they on the big water (Mille lacs, Leach, etc.) They have a pretty good price on them at the boat show. I realize they are not the quality of a Pro V, but I'm wondering if I could get more boat, crestliner, alumacraft, or ? for the same price. If I do decide to go with this boat, I need to rig it. I know what I want for electronics, but I'm up in the air as far as a trolling moter goes. I really like the Motor Guides. I have used the Minn kota auto-piolet and I'm not real impressed with them. Pin point is out of my price range. What it comes down to is getting as much boat, motor, and accessories for as little as possible. (Boy I really sound like a cheep A@# don't I) Your suggestions are appreciated.

Drew

18 answers to this question

Hey Drew! It's never too early!!

I just happen to own an Angler SS and love it. It's every bit the quality of a ProV, but without the extra creature comforts. I've used it on both Mille Lacs and Leech. Handles big water very well for a "small" boat. Last year in Canada, I had to run about four miles of open water with 5' to 6' waves. A bit un-nerving, and a tad wet, but no problems for the Lund. You may be able to get more boat elsewhere, but for my dollar, Lund wins. As for trolling motors, I went Minn Kota. Not the fancy autopilots or motor drives, but a good old fashion foot pedal, cable model. The Maxxum series I think. Less stuff to go wrong. For the rear, a small, 6hp, 4 stroke kicker plumbed to the main gas tank. A bit much? Maybe. But it works very well when downrigging. My second choice for the rear is another Maxxum in a tiller model. My one regret is not going with a 36v system. With my 12v set up, I don't get quite the trolling time as I would from 36v. That is my only beef.

And NO. You don't sound like a cheap @$$. You just want to get the most for your money. Doesn't everybody?

Good Luck on your decisions. Have Fun!!!!

Dan

I have a 1650 Angler SS and if I were to get a new one I would go with the 1700. I havn't had any problems on big water but you do have to slow it way down or it will pound you quite a bit. I have a 90 hp Merc, Motor Guide bow mount and transom mount, 12v front 24v rear. I have run this boat since 97 and really enjoy it.

Rob

drew. when you buy a elec. trolling motor, be sure to get one with plenty of power. with the taller sides of the lunds it will be nice. i went from a 40 thrust to a 74 last year. much better. i agree with the other guy. just buy a good system and don't worry about the auto and other facny stuff. a good foot control by itself will do fine. del

drew, i'll admit that i prefer a minkota also. and buy a on board charger. you can get by with out one, but they are so nice and hassle free. get done fishing and plug it in. i only bought a two bank sys wish i would have boughten a three to keep the charge up in my starting motor also. del

Drew, I too own the 1700 Angler and love it! I have fished big water alot with it without problems or a worry. The 90hp motor has more than enough power for it, even though it is rated for the 115. If I were to do it over though, I would buy the Mr.Pike. It has a few more options (better live well, rod lockers, lights, etc.), thicker guage aluminum, and it's wider. It is however a few more bucks but, still cheaper than the Pro V. Until the Angler fails me (which I feel will be never) I will keep her. It is a great boat!
As far as electrics go...
It sounds like you fish big water a lot. I would suggest spending a few extra bucks on a 9.9 kicker. It will not run out of juice on a windy day. The electrics will go thru a lot of juice at full power bucking waves. Until I scrape together the money for a kicker, I have a MinnKota Maxxum pushing me around. I also have a MinnKota in front. I will be switching to a Motorguide. The mounts are much better on the Motorguide.
Hope this was helpful.

Thanks for all your input on trolling motors. My next question is electronics. After surfing the web for countless hours, I have found a few places who still have the Lowrance LMS-350 with the GPS module ( on clearance). My buddy has this model on his boat and I really like it. The unit I'm familiar with is the Lowrance x75, only 600 watts of power, compared the the 3000 watts of power the lms-350 boasts. Is this power difference very critical? I do own a hand held eagle gps (the first model ever make) My question is this, do I continue to use my hand held gps and go with a lowrance x75 or x85 (or even a whole different brand) or do I go with the lms-350? Again, thanks for your input.

I too own the Lms 350, great unit, I got a heck of a deal on it but didnt get the gps mod. at the time the eagle explorer was half the cost of the module, so I got the handheld, I belive the X85 has the same power and display,if not more vert,pixel count, this would be the unit to have If you have the handheld already...

Drew,
The biggest difference between the 75 and 85 is your power. If you fish a lot of dirty water, I would go with the 85. If not, the 75 should work fine for you. When I can afford the boat I want, tracker targa 1900 w/200 merc optimax it will have the lms350a/gps and a x65 up front. Just my personal opinion though. Have you looked at Garmin's fish finder's?? I haven't used one, but they look like good equipement also.

I just got off the phone with Cabelas and they found a couple lms 350's in Michigan. (Lowrance discontinued the 350 last fall) They are selling them for 699, this price includes the GPS module. Regular price is around 750 - 800. I thought this was a pretty good deal so the're sending me one.

The power difference is substantial between the X-85 and 75, and if you want better resolution and target separation, I would upgrade. I also have a LMS 350a, and I love it. Would I buy it again today if it broke, probably not. I do also own the Zercom LPG. I purchased it last year, and I mounted it in the back of the boat. It is awesome!!! You could then buy a portable G.P.S.

Scotteye - Sat in both of them at the boat show and their was something about the lund that I liked better. I liked the counsel better on the lund, also liked the lay out. The crestliner does have an all welded hull. Good or bad, I don't know. The crestliner also has a bait well, which is nice. But from what I have heard, you can't go wrong with a lund.

The Fish Hawk does have a few more options than the Lund Angler. If you want these features in a Lund, try the Mr. Pike. It is also a bigger boat. The IPS hull design on the Mr. Pike will also give you a much smoother and dryer ride.

Here's my 2 cents worth. I have ridden in Crestliners, owned Lunds and Alumacrafts and they are all great boats. I have yet to see any of them fail on the water. I own an Alumacraft T-pro 170 w/ 115 Johnson. From experience I feel this is the most dry, stable and comfortable ride in the boats I have used in my days and it can handle anything I throw at it. I have manuvered into small lakes w/ no accesses and I have tackled huge water. All in all look at the specs, price and see what fits your needs best. Shop around, you'll have plenty of time til open water.