• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

favorite way to catch a walleye

fishinfey8

So there are tons of ways to catch a walleye: drift, troll, cast, jig, bobber fish, cast cranks, fish deep, fish shallow, weeds or rockpiles, minnows, leeches, crawlers, plastics, rivers or lakes...etc. So lets hear it! What is your favorite way to fish for walleyes????

I'll start by saying i love fishing for walleyes by casting crankbaits along weedlines and into cover. Whether you are in Minnesota, South Dakota or North Dakota this tactic always works in the springtime. During the spring i fish weeds, but as summer months i will switch to trolling reef runners a little deeper. If i get on a hot bite i will bust out the shiners/leeches and slip bobbers, especially if its a calm night!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like catching a bonus walleye when I am fishing the weedlines for bass. I have caught seveal big fish on big crankbaits and 1/2 spinnerbaits. I caught one on a spinnerbait over 8lbs in about 2ft of water in the end of June.

My favorite is casting cranks or pitching jigs into shallow water.

Years ago I would have said rigging was my favorite, but now it's near the bottom of my list. Right now I'd be very happy if I could catch walleyes all year long and never have to tie on a live bait rig or a slip bobber grin.gif