• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing remained tough for me again this weekend. Caught a bunch of crappies Friday, but dang few were big enough to keep. They were much harder to find on Saturday. They still have not come in to spawn, look for them in about 10' of water.

Walleyes are still being caught by those willing to work hard. They are really scattered though. We caught them from 10 - 20+ FOW this weekend.  Leeches remain the bait of choice.

"The crappies have not yet spawned, they can be found in 6-12 FOW about half way down. "

Water Temp on Little Yellow was 69 degrees this weekend, which should be well past spawning for crappies, right?..  We pounded them on Memorial weekend in 3.5 - 5 FOW.  Many over 12 inches, and of the ones we kept, none we cleaned had any signs of spawning/eggs.

That's interesting, because every one we cleaned this weekend still had spawn.

​Was weird....I've never seen consistent size like that, and most of the crappies were very black...  Most were much darker than what we usually deal with.

Heard Babe Winkelman on the radio yesterday and he said because of the weird, unstable weather this year, many walleye and crappies never did spawn.

Don, I also heard Babe on the radio yesterday say the same thing. A few weeks ago in Hayward we took a two man limit of crappies....couldn't keep them off the line. As soon as the minnow would hit the water, the bobber would go under. It got to the point where we had to start throwing them back. Of note, the crappies were very black. When we got to cleaning that night, not a single one had eggs...so I had assumed they were all males. After talking with the guys at the local baitshop, they mentioned that the crappies would come in time and time again (due to weather changes) and never did spawn. Who knows. 

Fished Little Yellow Saturday morning and Sunday morning. Lots of little Pike but we did manage a couple 27" inch Pike both days and a few Walleye, 18 -  22 inches. Mostly trolled outside edges of the weeds, staying in 10 feet of water. Did some casting with crank baits staying in 10 feet and casting into the thick week edge.

Nice overcast days with a light breeze made it enjoyable to be out.

Yep, some walleyes are being taken along the weed edges. I found them in much deeper water, 16-20'. Crawlers and leeches are both working right now.

Loads of short fish being caught. PLEASE take care releasing these fish. If hooked deep, immediately cut the line and release. If you can't afford a few hooks, stick to golf.  :)

There was a walleye tourney out of Ike's on Saturday. Of the 13 boats registered, 6 didn't weigh a fish. The wining 6 fish combo weighed 16 lbs. (If I remember correctly) Most were fishing deeper water, 20+'.

Some were still getting into some nice crappies, but I didn't work too hard at finding them.

Still tough fishing for me this weekend. Did manage two walleye Saturday morning and two more this morning but put in many hours for these few fish. All came from 18-21 FOW.  Rigging was not working great, so I marked several fish in one spot and dropped anchor, that was the ticket this morning. Some decent pike are starting show up in this deeper water. Even without fish, what a beautiful weekend to be on the water.

0620151338c.jpg

0620152058.jpg

Yeah, I did see that. Some of the walleyes I catch up there have old scars, etc. from muskies and northerns I assume. Thought maybe that was it but it does look like a pretty clean cut. Maybe for DNR surveys?

Just a quick report: Fished Yellow Lake two evenings earlier this week. Caught a bunch of short walleyes and only managed two legals. Most caught in 15' to 18'. Both leeches and crawlers worked. Also caught and released a real nice largemouth and a northern that was probably 35+", caught fishing for crappies with a crappie minnow. All alone so I couldn't take any pictures. No crappies but a bunch of small perch. Did get some crappies one morning on Big Clam Lake. Just took a while to find them.

Lots of walleye caught this morning. Leeches, crawlers and fatheads all took fish, however, darn few legals are coming home in the live well. Lindy rigging in 16 - 22 FOW seems to be the ticket today. Hoping for a good sunset bite.....

Finally a good evening bite. Only caught three fish, but all were keepers, 16, 17 and almost 19 inches.  Two on leeches, one on a crawler, all 19 - 21 FOW, lindy rigging. First limit of the season for me, and first time I never got a short one.

Look to the points of whatever structure you're fishing, as these seem to be the spots that hold the most fish..

I was out last night as well. Caught several walleyes with a mixed bag of legal and not. For a couple hours before night fall they wouldn't stay off a jig and leech combo. Wind blown side of structure was the ticket in 15-22 ft. 

Welcome Ander, and thanks for the report.

Must have been the 3 days of stable weather in a row this week as the bigger fish seem to be back on their typical summer patterns. Scored three more legals yesterday morning in pretty short order.

Leeches and crawlers again, no real preference between the two. Tried bobber fishing again with poor results. They seemed to want the bait moving, not stationary. 

Agree with Ander, most fish still coming from that 18 - 21 FOW.

fish.jpg

headed up in a few hours, looks like i will have a few people in the boat, will probably have to bobber fish this weekend. hopefully i will be able to get a few friends on their first yellow lake walleyes.

hope everyone has a happy 4th with tight lines

Walleye fishing remains pretty good. Keeper sized fish can be had by putting in the time to check enough spots to find some willing takers. Leeches and crawlers are still working. 16 -18 FOW was where we found most fish so far this weekend. Interestingly, midday has been prime time.

headed back up tonight hopefully we will have similar success to last weekend

​Nice to meet you Saturday Jay. Sorry we didn't have time to chat. We only got one keeper that morning and I never got back out the rest of the weekend. How did you do?