• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ron Schara was up that way. He should come back for the fall sturgeon season.

A typical Wisconsin opener, save for a one fish limit

Ron Schara, Star Tribune

WEBSTER, WIS. — As fishing openers go, Wisconsin's version Saturday was ... well, almost typical.

A chill wind greeted the dawn.

The fishing water was like ice water, a cool 48 degrees.

And a pesky northwest breeze created whitecaps and froze angling fingers that were wet from dipping into minnow buckets.

Very typical.

So -- what was so unusual?

On Yellow Lake on Saturday, it's a good bet that a majority of anglers caught a limit of walleyes. Yes, a limit. Now that's what you call bragging rights.

Of course, the walleye limit was only one fish. Yes, one. This revolting predicament -- a one-walleye daily limit on Yellow Lake -- is the result of Wisconsin's unusual fish management procedures on lakes covered by Indian treaty fishing rights. Most other lakes in the treaty area of northwest Wisconsin offered a two-fish limit.

This situation made for unheard of levels of fishing success. In one group of 12 anglers, nine returned to the dock with their limits.

The opening day armada appeared to be smaller than in past years on Yellow. For example, the docks at Ike Walton Lodge were nearly empty. The fishing restrictions and/or economic conditions might have reduced the number of boats, although the lake was far from empty by mid-afternoon.

Clearly, one of the happiest fishermen in my boat was WCCO radio personality Dave Lee, who hauled in an 18 1/2-inch walleye to claim second place in a big fish contest. Lee's radio producer, Steve Enck, dutifully photographed the evidence but did not produce any fish of his own.

"I can guarantee one thing," Lee said. "That fish is going to be 6 inches longer on my radio show Monday morning."

The walleye catching ploys were the usual Fireball jig tipped with fathead minnows. Some anglers said their best luck was on leeches on a plain hook.

The most productive water ranged from 5 to 7 feet deep. State law also requires a 15-inch minimum on walleyes, which means a number of catches are judged too small to keep.

A trio of Minnesota anglers -- Steve Herth of Alexandria, Dan Fleming of Mahtomedi and Rick Schara of Fergus Falls -- caught eight walleyes but released five undersized fish. The largest walleye Saturday was just shy of 19 inches and was caught by Andy Hromatka of Duluth.

As it turns out, Hromatka had double bragging rights on Yellow Lake: His one fish was the biggest, and it was his limit.

I think im going tohead out there this weekend with a friend and take my 1 walleye:( We may try little yellow also though and possibly get some eyes/crappies out of there.. Anybody fished walleyes in lil yellow or the river out of little yellow?

Thanks,

Ryan

Got to fish Yellow thur and fri ,,,caught fish both days but friday was a perfect day to be on the water,,,with calm winds and bright sun the eyes moved a little deeper (8-10ft),,what suprised me most was the pike werent on the rampage like past trips there ,,,Ill have to get my pal that lives on the lake up here to fish Lake Superior for walleyes

LAS

I fished it as well and got my limit (1) both days. 1st one was a 16"er on a slip bobber with a leech in 7' on Saturday. Sunday i got a 15.5" on a spinner rig/bottom bouncer with a leech in 9'. Also caught a few smaller fish on slip bobbers.. Sunday was definitely the better day.

Ryan

DonBo

I did see some people fishing the crappie holes (both Yellow and Little Yellow),,,but never saw any one land any thing,,,,besides the fish we landed I only saw one other fish landed and that was a pike

LAS

Just to let you guys know i got an email back from both the Indian Fisheries Biologist and Larry Damman (WDNR Fisheries Biologist) Hers what i found:

Yellow's quota this year was 1089 for the Indians to spear. They got 388. The DNR sets the bag limits based on how the Indians set their quotas and adjust accordingly after they get the numbers on how many were really taken. Larry said the bag limit for eyes will be going back up to 3 as of May 22nd due to the low harvest by the Natives. Sounds like good news! To bad they had to ruin opener for us fisherman and business'. Ike's was only at 30% occupancy this year for opener when usually they are full. Sad but better days are ahead of us!

Ryan

Was too windy to fish Big Yellow on Monday, but went into Little Yellow. We boated 15 - 20 pike all 14 - 20 inches big, all released. The kids had fun which was the main thing. Saw a few bigger fish but they were not interested in what we were throwing.

Just signed a deal on a year-round campsite at Log Cabin Hollow. wink Should be up there a lot the rest of the summer. smile

Now that turkey season is finally over I'll be able to get the boat goin. Look out Yellow, here I come!

Got to fish Yellow for a few hours this morning,,,didnt take but 25 mins to catch the revised limit of eyes but it was cold and breezy on the lake (I think we were the only boat on the water),,the fish are still shallow 5-8 fow

LAS

Nice work. I was out there last weekend but the bite was tought saturday evening. I lost one eye at the boat on a spinner rig. then i went to try for some crappies. I got 4 all about 12" casting pink jigs with a chartreuse gulp minnow grub. They were all hammering it while i let it fall in 6-8' with weeds. After dark i trolled small floating raps in 3-4' and got a bunch of eyes but only 1 keeper. Saw a guy get a 29.5"er tho. it was released.. Never seen a fish that big out of Yellow! I might b out there again this weekend.

Ryan

My buddy who lives on the lake said the sunnies were starting to bite real good too,,,,the eyes seem to be on the small side this year and the biggest he has caught this year is 20 inches ,,normaly we get a few 22" - 26" inchers in the mix but so far this year nothing over 20" ,,,floating raps or shallow shad raps were the ticket

LAS

I'm finally gonna get to spend a little time on the water this weekend. Any recent reports on how deep the walleyes are holding?

Have the crappies spawned yet?

Hope to see ya on the water.

Don i was out last weekend on Sunday AM heres the report:

Went out this weekend to do a lil more fishing and test the boat before our annual Canadian fishing trip to LOTW. Saturday we spent most of the day installing a new water pump since the one in it is 15 years old. It went smoothly for once and we tested it Saturday night for 2 hrs. We just trolled some rapalas and got 6 pike and 2 bass. Sunday morning i got up at about 630 to find the thermometer reading a chilly 36 degrees and steam coming off the lake. My dad and I headed out to my favorite walleye hole at 730. We fished till about 2PM with mixed results. Within the first 15 minutes while fishing crappies casting jigs in the weeds i pounded a nice 17" eye. We also caught a few slimers doing this before switching to spinner rigs behind bottom bouncers. After working a few shorelines and only finding pike and rock bass I snagged into something big. After about 5 minutes I pulled up a nice 19" eye but the trick was it was snagged sideways after it missed the bait on the strike. On the same drift about 15 minutes later i snagged into something big again. This time I couldnt even move the fish. I figured it was a big musky or sturgeon. After about 10 minutes of horsing this fish in after multiple runs a massive sheephead emerged. My dad got it with the net as it barely fit! We are estimating it was 15 to 20 lbs but we didnt weigh it because it started flopping and i just threw it out after a few pics. We then went back to cast jigs again. We lost 1 nice eye at the boatside and got 1 12" crappie and that was it. We left the lake with 3 nicer fish and plenty for a meal for 3.

WOW! Never even heard of sheephead in the lake much less one that big. Better you than me. grin

Sounds like the eyes were holding in the weeds with the cool temps?

Anyway, thanks for the update. Hopefully I'll be able to give a good report next week.

1 in the weeds a 17"er and 1 on shallow gravel 8' and 19"... First time i didnt catch a fish under the size limit. Usually i catch a bunch of lil guys too.

Good luck this weekend!

Ryan

Well, my new camper was delivered and set up on Friday, 40 yards from the water! What a crappy weekend to get the boat wet. Didn't get a lot of hours on the water. Friday, caught one shorty in 7'. Saturday was a wash. Sunday caught one short and a 16 1/2"er in 12-13' on crawlers. Saw a guy doing good right in the weeds with minnows. (I had none) frown

The water temp went from 63 on Fri. to 61 this morning. Water levels dropped a full foot in the last week. We realy needed the rain dropped the last few days even if it did ruin a perfectly good weekend.

Won't make it up this coming weekend, but planning on being there a bunch the rest of the year.

Anyone want to stop and say hi, I've got a white 16' Alumacraft Lunker with a 25hp Yamaha coming out of The Log Cabin Hollow in the NE corner of the lake.

Going to stay on Little Yellow next week...I was wondering if someone could give me any of the following info...

1. Can you get to Big Yellow form Little Yellow? (have a 18 foot Tracker)

2. Is there a place to get/buy gas on Big or Little Yellow?

3. Any good bait shops in the area?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You may have a hard time getting under the bridge into Yellow with your 18 footer, no way if you have a windshield.

No gas on either lake.

Wild Bills north end of Webster is THE baitshop to go to.

Little Yellow has all the fish in it you'd want to catch. Good luck!

If it's a Basstracker you might be able too, just remove the windshield to get it under there. A Pro-guide series would be tough even without a windshield unless the water was down a good foot. Our 16 footer didn't make it but I noticed the marina had the same boat only windshield removed, I'm guessing solely so it can clear the bridge.

Plenty of public landings on Big Yellow. One right at the bridge. Yes, it's worth it.

FISHguy, when will you be up? I'll be there quite a bit the next couple weeks.