• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oh thank you.

Do you fish yellow a lot?

I tried it for muskie this summer and thought it had some nice structure to fish. Are there a good number of eyes in the lake?

Do they naturally produce?

I remember the water was stained does this prolong the bite?

Thanks

-Fisherman24

I fish it quite a bit in the summer, not so much on the ice. It is a good walleye lake and no, I don't believe they ever stock it.

I think the stained water makes the bite mostly a daytime thing, not that much action after dark, at least in the summer. I know some catch fish along the weed edges (6'-8') at or after dark.

Do you have a cabin or family up that way? I have a cabin half way to Grantsburg.

Good luck!

Don

Yea I have a cabin on Crooked Lake in Siren. I grew up there but moved to the city and kept the house as a cabin. I really like yellow and want to start ice fishing it but a lot of people say they don't do as well as in the summer.

Thanks for you help.

-Fisherman24

I've heard the slush is pretty bad out there right now, and I don't think this extra snow will help.

Like DonBo said, fish the tops and bottoms of the breaks, or a weed edge if you find one. I've fished all over the lake and there is not real magic spot/structure to look for. I've had some outstanding days, but they are fairly few and far between. But a guy usually goes home with an eye or two, probably just over 15 inches. I wouldn't get your hopes up for a real big one.

Even though it's a stained lake, it's pretty much a prime time bite. You can catch them after dark, but it's not a common occurence. Devils used to be a much better dark bite, although from what I hear it's been darn tough the few years.

I always have known Yellow to be a better day bite.

I will possibly be out on Saturday before I have to go back to work on Monday.

If anybody spots an older truck with a certain High School team sticker on it, yell out, "hey, imhooked."

There is a good "Hot Spots" map at Gander Mountain in Hermantown.

Start at about 8 feet and move out.

Some nice panfish can also be had.

I was going to go today but I found out I have further obligations to do for the Holidays.

As far as natual reproduction/stocking on Yellow, they do stock the lake. The last number of years they have been on an every other year program of 100,000+ fingerlings.

I haven't fished Yellow in a number of years. But my brother and I used to make one annual ice fishing trip up there around the first of the year. A lot of the advice already given here is good. We typcially had our action from 6 to 10 feet of water. Not much during the day. But between about 3:00 and 6:00 in the afternoon we would get one or two 10 to 15 minute windows when the walleyes would come through and it was fast action. Then nothing. Getting any action after it got dark was rare for us.

Aaron

Was the daily limit on Yellow 1 last year or was there a change to this years rules???,,,I plan to be on Yellow for the Mn opener and hopefully bring home some nice pike with my 1 eye

LAS

It was 2 last year. They've often upped the limit later in the year. Hopefully they'll do that again. One seems ridiculous. I'd hate to be a resort or bait shop owner up there. frown

Nice work WDNR and the local Tribe.

A 1 fish walleye limit, that seems like extremely poor management between both parties. If the limit is one walleye over 15", you know every breeding size 3-7 pounder is going to be harvested. How can the lake change so dramatically from year to year. I just read that the DNR surveyed 4.6 adults per acre in 2008. The numbers are compared able to 1986. I can understand if you want to protect the adults, the lake already has special regulations, why not put more stringent size restrictions to protect spawners and increase the bag.

Good luck getting many people to come and enjoy a 1 fish bag limit (I am not suggesting it needs to be 5 either) in these tough conditions. The local economy will certainly suffer, which in turn hurts the lake as well.