• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Build The Next Great 18.5 Foot Fishing Boat

Ray Esboldt

Originally Posted By: swampbuck
Well it is coming!!

Thank you all for your input on this new model! We will be posting pictures of the prototype models soon!

Yes there will be two versions of the next great 18.5 foot boat, a trolling edition and a casting edition!

Northlandr get your check book ready, There is nothing left out of this boat that you guys/gals have asked for! The price will be very appealing as well! Keep tuned in pics coming soon!

Ill be taking a look at that trolling model for sure. Let me know when I get to give it the old Lake Superior Trolling break in. grin.gif

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next great 18.5 foot fishing boat would be a Crestliner Fish Hawk 1850 Contender or Tournament package, with a 17 degree hull, instead of a 12, and rated for a 175 instead of a 150.

There you have it.

Any news or updates on this?

Please tell me it will be something like I described above

Thanks for waiting. The boat you were all helping design is the Raptor and Crestliner just posted the info on their newly redesigned HSOforum. There is a Raptor for the Bass/Musky fisherman and a version for the walleye type fisherman. Check them out.

Did they actually put livewells up next to a bowmount? If so that wasnt too well thought out. Lots of pounding going on up there. Even if its only a baitwell I still dont like the idea. Dont need that extra weight in the bow thats for sure.

I also couldnt really tel much from the pics that had. Not any good over head views of the whole boat. At least that I could find.

I would like to get a good view to see if they really did listen to us.

I did like the pic of the boat with no carpeting. Thats a nice idea. No carpet anyplace.

The thinking on the bait well was that when you are running a bow mount, you do not have to get off the trolling motor to turn around and get your minnows.

Yes your bait could get beat up in the bow on a rough day, but the hsolist boat all have the mesh bait bags and it is pretty easy to keep your bait in the bag in one of the other two livewells and when you get to your spot grab the bag and throw it in the bow bait well.

In the Voice of the customer surveys the bow bait well was one of the most popular choices asked for.

Myself and Neptune had a lot to do with the design(s) and lay out of the two raptors (casting and trolling), However a majorrity of the features in this boat came from the survey that many of you helped us with.

My only regret is that I am no longer with the Company and will not get a chance to run the boat next summer.

yes Unfortunatly I was at the wrong end of the corporate downsizing.

I dont have anything bad to say about Crestliner, They are a great company and a great boat, I was fortunate to get to run a new demo boat every year and really liked the boats.

Looks like the rig I really wanted to have, John. grin But, I'm even more disappointed that Brunswick decided to part with a couple great representatives of a top-notch boat manufacturer.

Thanks to everyone that participated in our little impromtu survey. I still think they should have called this boat the FM edition.

At least i got to run the casting version shown in the catalog for a couple of months. Muskyfever got a chance to experience the boat with me on Lake Vermilion chasing muskies. It was an awesome boat and I never had any minnow die off even when running across big bay for walleyes on the east end 4 foot chop.

Alot of good ideas here already. It seems that no matter what boats never have well placed lighting - it always seems to be an after thought. LED strips along the floor but also indirect along the inner edges of the gunwhale as well. Also, not sure of legality but as long as its not sugmerged why not have an LED strip incorporated along the outside of the boat near the top - would usre make netting fish in the dark easier (can't tell that I chase 'skis at night can you!? grin)

Also, the front and center rod locker is a must - any way to expand it from 12 to 16? Sound nuts but the more rods you can haul without foulded tips is a plus. Also, put as many pedastal bases in as you can while maintaining structural integrity of the floor. Whether you are a lone, have 2 total or even 4 total anglers, having many options on where the seats go would be a huge plus to help you find the most comfy way to sit. Design a pedastal that you can release with your hand instead of your feet - I've broken a toe or two kicking at ours when wearing flip flops!

I don't think anybody has mentioned it, but definitely a 25" transome, not a 20". Our 18' has a 20" and I wish it was 25". Was made before the 25" became popular.

Here! Here!

25" for sure!

I own a 1973 Starcraft 18' bowrider I am currently rebuilding.

I am actually increasing the transom height from 20 to 25".

This will keep the water in the lake, and not splashing over my stearn.

I just started reading this thread.

Lots of great ideas for sure.

I'm sure I will come across a few I can use.

Thanks.