• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Build The Next Great 18.5 Foot Fishing Boat

Ray Esboldt

I would have thought we'd have 100 posts on this by now!

Here's a couple more:

Interior LED lighting. I just did lights for my portable this winter and realized how nice they would be in the boat. Couple surface mount LEDs, a strip along the floor, and a couple up in the bow, or a rope around the upper lip in the bow.

Interior finish: Love my Lund but the sides and rod locker door are a vinyl covered material with felt backing. Looks nice but gets snagged and could tear. Lose the "cute" appeal and make the finish more durable.

Let's see more ideas!

Chris

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my new Alumacraft tournament sport. Full windshield but not too high to not be able to fight a fish over, in gunnel rod storage that will handle a 8'6" rod. The back platform could be a little bigger, but I have a guy making me an insert. I guess the only thing I would really like more is some more storage withing hands reach of the steering wheel. A built in hose wouldn't be a terrible idea either for spraying down slime or blood from the carpet asap.

Ray we are going with 33 inch cockpit floor height

removable port side counsel with full width windshield,plenty of storage for planos and cell phones ,glasses and log books.

3 wide removable seats in 100 inch width boat so all three guys stay dry crossing lakes

12 inch gunnels

Rod storage 10 foot on both sides of boat

Storage under rod lockers for life jackets clothing etc

22 inch transom area full width,42 inches to floor with livewell and bait wells[pull out baitwells] on top so you can check and fill while standing on ground outside of boat

Storage of 1 and half foot tall under this area for drift socks ,anchors ,etc

All these with aluminum doors[extra thick]with all welded framing

we still cannot decide what height and length front and rear casting decks should be and if they also should be removable

I don't think anybody has mentioned it, but definitely a 25" transome, not a 20". Our 18' has a 20" and I wish it was 25". Was made before the 25" became popular.

I would also agree with not having a front livewell, just a good sized rear livewell. Our MASSIVE front livewell is useless IMO. I have closed it all up, but still gets some h2o in it... I hate it.

Also 6 or 8 ga. wiring to the bow trolling motor, not the stinking little 10 or even 12 ga. that some have.

Also, put in empty tubing in the gunwale channels so it is easier for the owner to run x-ducer cables, wiring, etc. Some makes are starting to get wise to that, but all should.

Drivers seat should a good air-ride anti-shock seat pedestal, like the Mainstay Shortie HD, that I will be getting this year.

Originally Posted By: BoxMN
Our MASSIVE front livewell is useless IMO. I have closed it all up, but still gets some h2o in it... I hate it.

My wife uses the front livewell for a potty. It works pretty good for that. It even flushes. Just hit the fill switch and down the drain the P goes.

One more request from me....

How about a good set of removeable splash guards? I like them but not all the time as I multi species fish, problem is when you need them, you really do NEED them!

Chris

It must be glass, they are talking about the next GREAT boat! My ideal boat would have a deck large enough to lay a few 7' rods on there ala bass boat style, lots of storage for plastic trays and waterproof compartments, and by waterproof I mean waterproof. Make them lockable too. Put a seat base in the center of the boat back by the transom as well. If I had a choice of motors to hang on the back that would be icing on the cake as well, or if I only get one at least give me a real discount on the price of the upgrade motors.

Do you know who or can you say who the mfg. is. Any idea on price range????

If you know more and can't say anythingmore here.

shoot me an e-mail. My lips will be tight lipped.

[PleaseGetAuthorization]intricon.com

Rod storage is a must. I saw a boat at the Muskie Expo that had room for at least 18 rods. Getting close! A bait well within easy reach of the driver's seat would be nice. With 18.5' available, a front casting deck like a bass boat would be nice. An aft casting deck would be really nice.

I know we're talking about an 18.5' but any talk about the next great 16'? Aside from Mille Lacs, Winnie, Leech, or Red, who really needs, or can afford, anything over 16? 150 horse and 19' are a little much on Beebe.

No offense intended to anyone!!!

TC

I'll chime in at the last minute, although most of my thoughts have been covered.

I like a deep, wide, boat. I was fishing from a North River a lot last year, 27" from floor to gunwale inside - very nice, makes you really feel like you're in the boat, not on the boat. The NR is nice but is very spartan I'd like to see the next great 18.5' fishing boat have a cockpit more like the great midwest boats (Lund, Crestliner, etc). I know, a but vague but if you'd been in both it would be obvious. The Lund Sport Angler is close, but I'd like to see a little deeper cockpit and a bit rounder bow, not quite so sharp.

I also prefer full windshields well forward with generous side screens, leaving lots of deck space in the rear and a very small bow platform.

Rod storage and a livewell are also must haves. Tackle trays and holders along the side work, and leave more a lot of deck space, but are not ideal.

Any idea when we might see the prototype? Summer? Fall? Next year? I can hardly wait to see what the designers come up with after all this feedback.

Ray

my Coast Guard Small Factory visit comes up this month and was wondering if you want a set of specs and rules for boat builders.

I am going to have my rep look at this blog when he is here just to show how much interest Minnesotans have in a boat the way they want it.

Man some great ideas here already. 175 counsel and 115 tiller should be ok.I also like less front platform room and more rear end room for trolling. A big rear livewell instead of up front and it needs a seperate baitwell with it. Oh and recirculating with lights and lids that stay up on their own but wont blow open whenrunning.. Center rod storage big enough for 8.5' rods. 12 would be nice but 10 is ok. Doable?

Plenty of WATERPROOF storage. Removable carpet. Electronics ready in bow, council and rear. Deep transom. Nice plate for kicker. Good seat bases and pedastles. Some out there are just junk. Like the junky ones on my 04 Lund.

A good solid base to mount bigger electronics on the counsel. And lots of room. Leg room under counsel. A good place to mount marine band radio and a nice slot for a 8' antena.

Nice galvanized roller/bunk trailer with swing tongue and truely water tight LED lights.

Track system for rod holders and at least 6 bases to mount holders on.

At least 6 guage wiring for bowmount. Circuit breakers. Good storage area for light posts. Solid window trim so it stays put in big waves. Screws that dont come loose.

A good paint job. Nice snap on cover that goes over the trolling motor and main motor. At least main motor. Locking storage ares. Well vented gas tank so no gas odors in storage areas. Mesh storage netting on both sides in bow. LOUD safety horn. Good cd/radio. Nice area to mount downriggers. Colapsing tie down cleats. Ratcheting trailer straps.

Man thats a lot but boy would it be a awesome boat. I would buy it even if it wasnt a Lund. Heck I might even buy a Chrestliner built like this. grin.gif

Please get us pics when it comes out. Ill volunteer my services to give it a complete non bias over view and test runs. ;\)

PT,

The builder of this boat, has them. Thanks for the offer. And, I agree with you. Fun thread. I know our information will be evaluated when the engineers start specing this boat out. That is just way cool in my opinion. 10 years ago, we, Joe and Jane public, were rarely the voice of the customer when it came to hunting and fishing products. Now, these companies come to us, through FM, to find out what they need to do better, need to less of, or even to find the origins of the next generation of a product.

I don't know how many of our ideas will end up in the final product, but it sure is fun knowing that our opinions matter.

Northlander,

Quote:
I would buy it even if it wasnt a Lund. Heck I might even buy a Crestliner built like this.

I am writing that one down. Of course, I will remember it the way I want to:

"On April 18th, 2008, Northlander publicly confessed his closet desire to own a Crestliner."

You might even be surprised how much you would like them now. Don't be afraid to look. grin.gif

Oh Ray you know better. Lund all the way baby. Althugh I really like the newer Triton glass boats. Thats my dream boat there.

But I will say that if a boat gets made that has everything on these posts, or a good portion of them, and is at a decent cost to the consumer I will buy it even if it is a Chrestliner. A boat like that has never been done before and it will be a awesome fishing machine. Even on a Chrestliner Hull. grin.gif

Well it is coming!!

Thank you all for your input on this new model! We will be posting pictures of the prototype models soon!

Yes there will be two versions of the next great 18.5 foot boat, a trolling edition and a casting edition!

Northlandr get your check book ready, There is nothing left out of this boat that you guys/gals have asked for! The price will be very appealing as well! Keep tuned in pics coming soon!

The next great 18.5 foot fishing boat would be a Crestliner Fish Hawk 1850 Contender or Tournament package, with a 17 degree hull, instead of a 12, and rated for a 175 instead of a 150.

There you have it.