• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

waterfowl/pheasant guides

If you are going to ND for upland and go with a guide, U should be fine (ask if all Wild Birds, mix or preserve) or maybe it does not matter. Many of the ND G/Os that focus primarily on waterfowl will have you hunting on planted pheasants - especially if you are north of I-94.

Waterfowl can be a different story, because of contantly changing staging and migration patterns (crops, weather, summer rains, hail, hunting pressure, canada) all impact success.

I have competed next to guides for fields, etc... Some work really hard, others just do the same thing every day of the season and their results will reflect this.

There are some good guides in ND. But there are also a bunch that have and continue to run into trouble. I cannot name the bad apples on this site, but some big operations have and continue to get stung........

If ones new to an area, I see nothing wrong with hiring a guide. A very good way to have a better hunt if you dont know the area and also dont have time to scout it out. I have used guides many times if I am in a new area or searching out a new specie and still want a great hunt.

Many times I have been out of state hunting and spent the majority of the time there looking and asking for a place to hunt. yes, one can do the public land but after a few weeks that is not always the best land to hunt. I would much rather hit some land adjoining the public land as those critters are in there for their safety from all the human traffic and scent.

Bryce,

It is why I work. It is what I live for. Time with my son and bird dogs ....... killing birds is just a part of it.

Harvey,

I agree to a certain extent. In ND if you hunt pheasants with a guide, you will only get access if you pay. Come back again and that area is still off limits.

Waterfowl is a little easier to go guide and then come back freelance. You can scan an area an understand its dynamics. Waterfowl move and guides often compete with others for the same flock of birds in a non-leased, even non-posted piece of land.

Guides and outfitters are a fact of life, but in ND it is reducing land available to all and fueling the pay to play agenda. Maybe its inevitable.

Nice thing about ND is you do not need a guide to be successful.

[Note from admin: edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

No need for guide. Own land in NoDak and have access to as much private near that as I can hunt. Hopefully won't have to start work as early next year and plan on using one for chasing white geese but not going to limit myself to NoDak. Lilwalter started this post to give his son a memorable first experience and was pretty much shouted down (in fact, told to stay at home on a preserve) because his idea of a hunt didn't match someone elses. Don't try and paint me as the bad guy here. Good luck lilwalter. I'm sure whichever option you choose will put a smile on your sons face.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Lets get this back on topic. If your post was deleted or edited be sure to read forum policy before posting again and be sure to stay on topic of recommending guides or the need for them.