• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

waterfowl/pheasant guides

My son will be getting his gun safety cert this summer, and I would like to take him to ND in the fall for a combo waterfowl/pheasant trip. I've never been to ND for hunting and would be looking for a guide/outfitter. Any recommendations? Thanks

In my opinion you really don't need a guide or an outfitter to hunt in ND. Yes, it would be a little easier perhaps, but a larger percentage of the no hunting signs that are put up are because farmers want to know who's on their land more than they don't want people shooting the waterfowl. Knock on some doors and ask and most of the time you'll get permission.

Pheasant hunting is a little different story - access to land is a little more limited, but with the contacts you've gained from getting access to waterfowl land you should be able to get some pheasant hunting opportunities in as well, plus there is PLOTS land available to hunt.

There is a restriction when it comes to non residents hunting on plots lands:

Originally Posted By: NDGNF
Nonresidents may not hunt on lands owned or leased by the North Dakota Game and Fish Department,Nonresidents may not hunt on lands owned or leased by the North Dakota Game and Fish Department, including State Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) and Private Lands Open To Sportsmen (PLOTS), for the first week of pheasant season (October 13-19). This restriction applies to all types of hunting, not just pheasants.

So keep that in mind when you are planning your trip(s).

PLOTS land is hunted heavily - but a lot of the time the PLOTS land that gets hunted the most is the stuff right off the highway. If you get a PLOTS map (which will be availabe for 2008 this fall from the NDGNF on their HSOforum ND GNF) and look for the stuff that's off the highway a little ways - from my experiences that land does not get much pressure and often holds some good numbers of birds.

All of this is subject to change depending on how the winter plays out and all the CRP going out of contract here in ND. But, it should give you enough to get going.

"Freelancing", or not hiring a guide / outfitter, as some people call it is one of the reasons that ND had decent access to hunting land.

Good Luck!

marine_man

I agree with what Marine Man said about freelancing and I have a couple things to add. If you have some fresh MN fish, bring some of that for those landowners that help you out. You will probably have a place to hunt the next time you head out that way.

I would start by Jamestown. There are alot of pheasants and waterfowl in that area as well as places to stay. Don't be afraid to go North of I-94. It gets much less pressure for pheasants.

Use your PLOTS guide and Google Earth to do your scouting. Check the PLOTS land and WPAs for small potholes away from major roads. You can jump the ducks and then walk the edges for pheasants or walk for pheasants on your way to each slough.

Avoid jump-shooting really big waters as the locals tend to get frusterated with those that "jump the roost." There are plenty of ducks to be had by field hunting or pothole jumping.

Here's some info on PLOTS, and a map of PLOTS land from this past year that should get you started.

PLOTS

Remember that just because it was PLOTS this year doesn't mean it will for next year, but should give you a good idea of what was available this past year.

marine_man

North Dakota has over 1 million acres of plots land this year. It has realy helped to find an area to hunt. I myself would not hire a guide for Pheasants. To much open area in the western part of state to do that. The North west corner is very good Pheasant hunting, and then back to the east toward Minot and Devils Lake is the best waterfowl area.

With a little work on the computor you will be able to pin point and area that the two of you will be able to cover pretty easy.

Figure out how far you want to drive, start there and then a place to stay (if needed). From there it is looking at the area you would like to hunt and finding the plots land.

We have been going out to ND for ten years and have not had any trouble finding area's to hunt. If you see somthing you like and it is posted try to find the farmer(sometimes this can be tough)

most will let you hunt as long as you follow there rules.

It can be a blast and if you like the scouting part of hunting and some exploring you and you son will have some great hunting as well as a great time.

Sifty

yup it's me all right.Didn't you just send me a message asking about spring snows around here?

It was great watching my favorite BB team from Bottineau win their 3rd straight title.

I would never hire a G/O here.It really isn't necessary unless you are flying in with no equiptment.

Do you have a gun dog? That is a reason you may want to do a guided hunt, obviously not impossible to hunt without one but way more enjoyable if you can put your son in front of a good pooch. It will be a long lasting memory. That is of course that you are ok with the first question out of his mouth on the way home. "Dad can we get a dog"?

Jeez, guess I'm not worthy if I have to "stoop" to using a guide. We do a free lance trip to NoDak each year. Do the "real" hunters beat their chest to the sunrise or is sunset more conducive? Help me out, wanna make sure we're doing everything according to protocol. ;\)confused.gifmad.gif

Nothing wrong with a guided trip, heck I guide people in SD. Some comments may have been a little harsh. It's not like all guided operations shoot pens raised birds. A guide puts a greenhorn to the area on land the first morning with no drive time asking permission. If ya have the $ go for it, (Don't forget to tip!) \:\)

By your avatar - you own a dog.

If you do not have the pressure to return home or work with stories of easy limits, then the idea is to get out there and figure out the whole thing yourself. Maybe you will limit, maybe not - but the satisfaction of figuring things out goes along ways in my book.

1) Teach you kid pheasant shooting - visit a preserve.

2) Teach your kid to hunt - follow the concept above.

3) Teach you kid money can buy success - go with the guide.

I have done 1 & 2 with my son. He is figuring out that hard work, thinking and reasoning, and a little luck go along way to shooting wild birds.

4) Send son to college so he is educated enough to realize that a good work ethic can only get you so far. After that, superior intelligence gains you employment that affords you the means to choose where and when you want to hunt.

Agreed. If you read the above two sentences again, notice that it states you need both hard work and intelligence to be successful. I am in no way stating that any of the above posters is lacking in either (no bashing) and will in fact applaude Brittman for instilling in his son a strong work ethic. Just don't like people bashing those who need/want to use a guide. The reasons can be many and it in no way diminishes their ability/desire for the hunt.

Originally Posted By: lilwalter
My son will be getting his gun safety cert this summer, and I would like to take him to ND in the fall for a combo waterfowl/pheasant trip. I've never been to ND for hunting and would be looking for a guide/outfitter. Any recommendations? Thanks

if this will be your first time out there (ND) ., and you dont have the time to get the info.ect...,then go for a guide., both you and your son will learn from that ., and then the two of you can do your work for the next year to do it yourself., good luck on what you do, and thanks for getting your young child ,in the outdoors.,

My middle school son does not think about if he is going to college, but where. In fact all my children talk this way.

I do OK around here Bryce. Work for a very large mult-national and could pay guides to play .... in fact we fished the Big Pond with a guide last June. With all my kids playing sports - fishing LOW or Canada is not in the picture, plus I wanted to learn about all the new electronics and techniques.

Well the guide did his job! Be boated 30 walleyes in 8 hours the largest just a hair under 28" that my son had to drop back in the lake. Boat control and top shelf electronics coupled with him being on the lake everyday (patterns) put us on fish. Since my son has fished since 5, he knew this was not typical and could understand and appreciate the guided trip.

Hunting is a different story in my home. We have top shelf bird (family) dogs and I know what I am doing. The few times I have paid to hunt - I have been typically disappointed. My son had a good 1st fall shooting half dozen pheasants, some ducks and a ruffed grouse. In this age of

Quote:
I want it all and I want it now
, I believe success, but gradual success brings about the hunger to learn and appreciate the outdoors and come back again and again........ he will shoot limits, etc... but this will come in time.

Take your son to a well run pheasant preserve.