• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Birds from the Bog (pics)

jonny_redhorse

made the "circuit" down in the bog this morning hoping to see some grosbeaks,both pine and evening varietys...and I did!...on the blue spruce road...also saw a black-backed woodpecker but no pics(another birder was set up with his tripod and didn't want to bother him)...many different species this morning...even had the good fortune to get a few habitat images of a Pileated woodpecker and a black- billed magpie....tons of arctic buntings!...good morning all in all! grin.gif

digiscoped image of the pine grosbeak:

Frame_DSCN0290-1copy.jpg

Frame_DSCN0288-1copy.jpg

evening grosbeak:

Frame_DSCN0280-2.JPG

pileated:

Frame_DSCF9881-4.JPG

Frame_DSCF9899-1copy.jpg

not the best capture of a magpie but gotta take what you can get!

Frame_DSCF9870-1copy.jpg

"downy"

Frame_DSCN0246-3copy.jpg

chickadee of course:

Frame_DSCF9867-1copy.jpg

and a few deer!

Frame_DSCF9910-1copy.jpg

Wow, great pictures Jonny! How do you get such great/close pictures of grosbeaks? They see any movement and they are gone, I have a really hard time getting pictures of them.

Fishingqueen (wishing i was a photoqueen crazy.gif)

Here are a few pictures from the backyard.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You certainly have a great feeding area there FQ!...Not only for birds but deer as well!...great photo opportunities (wish I had a yard set-up like that grin.gif)...guess a person needs a telephoto of sorts to get "close" or a blind of some sort or a feeder right out of ones window would do the trick!...in the case of the grosbeak pics I used my newly acquired digiscope set-up(which I'm still in the process of learning to get the most out of the set-up)...here's a couple images of what I used that day on the grosbeaks

this was taken at a deer kill site where I took the pileated and magpie images:

Frame_DSCF9877copy-1.jpg

Frame_DSCF9875copy.jpg

Thanks Jonny!

That is a really neat set-up you have!! Very cool.

Yes, the feeder works well for birds and deer. haha. My grandpa Earl made me the feeder and feeder swing.

Last night I seen a deer stand on her back feet to eat out of the swing. It then fell and she took off.

I need to buy a blind and dress up in my boyfriends camo to get some 'close' shots......with the camera that is!!

I love seeing everyones bird pictures! Keep them coming!

Have a great day,

FishingQueen

Hey Johnny, nice shots. If your planning on being out and about I and another friend are hitting the Sax-Zim bog this saturday from 8 til whenever. We have a plan in place for getting some shots, we'll see how that pans out.

Also, Steve Foss if your out and about let me know and we can hook up.

Thanks Mike and Steve!...Not sure about being available "all" of Saturday but maybe the morning till noon or so as other things to take care of Saturday.....You mentioned a plan of sorts for certain roads you may travel on?...I guess we could meet at the cafe in meadowlands as we did last time,but this time I'm only ordering coffee grin.gif...one of the better birding areas is just a couple miles down the road north side on 133 (Blue Spruce Road #211)...definitely try that road out as there's almost no doubt you'll see the blackbacks and 3 toeds and the pine and evening grosbeaks(and redpolls)....from there a couple different choices ....Owl Avenue which I just threw out 50 pounds of seed last saturday...maybe a good chance at the boreal chickadees...I have yet to get a photo of one......and the various deer kills on the sides of the various roads in the area that harbor the magpies(maybe) which is Arkola Road...andof course deer and other "birders" from all over the midwest...met 3 groups last week from the cities and 2 from near Madison...but Yes...if you want to meet saturday,that would be fine....

We are going to be up there around 8:00 to 8:30ish I'm guessing. We are leaving my place in Lakeville at 5:00 AM and I'm guessing it will take about 3.0 to 3.5 hrs. We are planning on bringing a few things for our feathered friends, rumor has it its been sorta cold up there and they could use a treat. \:\)

Mike, I've been planning to shoot cross-country ski races this weekend here in Ely. Dang it! Now I'll have to think about changing those plans. I don't have a client for the images, so maybe I'll head to the Bog instead.

Drop me an e-mail with your cell number so we can hook up if I can make it happen. I haven't taken a nature image in so long (been concentrating on writing and on product photography for Web clients) that I wonder if I remember how!

E-mail Coming your way! It would be good to meet ya Steve and Jonny! We have some plans for getting some clean images, hopefully they will come to fruition.

P.S. You'll remember how, its in YOUR blood!

I was down on Mcdavvit and Admiral Rd today looking for black backed and three toed woodpeckers. Not much luck, I saw one fly across the road but that was it. I did see gray jays, downy woodpeckers and of course chickadees. Anyways, on Admiral someone tied a deer rib cage to a tree for woodpeckers and put out some bird seed. I'm not sure who though.....grin.gif

It wasn't me Jay...I put some on Admiral road a month ago...but nothing recently at that station.....I noticed they bulldozed the section line both ways on Owl Avenue opening up the area a bit...I did see where someone had thrown what looked like "lettuce" for the birds...not sure what bird likes lettuce but....apparently someone figures birds feed on lettuce in winter...lol! grin.gif

Mike,

8:00 or so sounds fine!...not sure if your familiar with Meadowlands but there's a "dive"...hee hee!...cafe, "The Rocket" where we could meet and have a cup of coffee(and munchies) and figure out the upcoming days events....we're not talking down town Manhatten here so be prepared! grin.gif....possible Steve may be meeting later in the day ...possible...Weather looks to be on the gray side for Saturday, not the best but will be nice just to see some birds.....will e-mail you info on your photo site...Johnny

Thanks Mike!...trust me! I'm still trying to onlock the secrets of that digiscope! It requires a tat more patience and "finessing" then a regular camera I'd say grin.gif......Jay,Nice of you to feed the critters down in the bog....I've always wondered how those birds can make it through those 3 day stretches with 45-50 below wind chill plus sleeping and feeding and just plain survive from day to day....nature at it's finest hour!....I've been throwing out some seed just about every trip down there also...one would think it's gotta help the little critters out..throwing some suet blocks(and seed) out Saturday :oalso...should help to "lard em up" for a week or so, lol!...years ago I remember the DNR was throwing out hay bales for the deer during winters with heavy snowfall so the feeding practice has been going on for years to help out.

Steve's got it!...not much more to add to that! grin.gif...Will be there about 8:30 or a little before....I think they open at 8:00 on weekends if I remember right....will be a gray day but warmer!...none of that 45 below wind chill stuff! grin.gif....sure would be nice to see a great gray!...but a northern hawkowl will do grin.gif.....Steve's still thinking about going no doubt...