• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

floating ice house (just in case)???

fishdog

The Otter tubs will sort of float due to their shapes. Full of gear, they may be a bit heavy.

At first ice, I alway make sure I have my ice picks around my neck if I ever go through. I've been toying with the idea of getting one of those vest type PFDs that have the C02 cartridges for extra safety.

Otter sleds will hold alot of weight. We floated a fishing companion across open water to the ice doing some late ice fishing. I use my otter every fall to haul decoys across water with motor restrictions (no room in small boat). My otter 2 sled (large size) will float 200 lbs for sure, probably alot more.

Stearns used to make jackets that were PFD's .. probably still make them.

Use common sense on venturing early ice .. even if your floating, you can still freeze to death before your rescued.

I have three of the floation jackets that are XL that I would be willing to part with.
Not sure what there worth but you can make me a offer. And they are Stearns.And make great winter jackets
good fishin
jimBo

Its going to be pretty tuff trying to crawl into a tub. Get some ice picks and get out of the water and on the ice ASAP.
Wool or polyfleece under a wind proof nylon shell will keep you warm for the walk back to your car. A flotation jacket or suit isn't a bad idea either.

Thanks for the suggestions. Last winter was my first year out on the ice, I had a life jacket and ice picks every time out no matter what. I explored alot of new Lakes around Fairmont and a few around the southern Mankato area. I was usually alone(execpt for my 2 black labs) and the sound of the ice cracking is scarry when all alone especialy after dark! or when it start's raining/drizziling or the Ice melts and water's on top of the ice when leaving.Maybe I'm addicted to addriline rush of it all 'cause I cant wait till this next ice.
I have 2 portables one is a old one my grampa gave me a suitcase style w/poles on outside that the Zipper broke and the other shack has a door one each end I butt them up to each other because my heater is in my older shack uses a exaust pipe through thew roof.
I got caught in a blizzard (the scaryest thing in my life) with wind speeds near 40 and Gust's over 50mph lasting over a hour! the wind dirrection changed and caught me(and dogs) broad side and both shack's need repair; bent poles and a new bottom for the old one,the canvis tore off the wood frame and the poles in my other shack bent to the floor ,where I was laying(and praying) then the wind started picking up and slaming down the other shack, so I put my hand auger under the ice at a angle and layed down on it, then water started comming out of my holes soaking me!! I couldnt see where shore was (to run) because of the wind and snow. the Ice was realy cracking from the wind pressure and I feared if I ran twords shore I might run into open water so I waited it out till I could see shore. I left everything there and the wind ripped the shacks open while I watched from shore all my stuff was flying everywhere.
Luckly a landowner on the lake picked all my stuff up the next day for me and I lost very little.
with all the shacks going through the Ice last year statewide , want a bottom that will float I also want to make a way to tie it down so it wont hop or slide in the wind. Im thinking of either sandwitching life jackets between sheets of plywood for a floor or maybe linking a few innertubes together.
A weather Radio is a "Must have"item for me this next winter!
Any other Ideas/comments?

------------------

Hi fishdog. I`m from fairmont and do alot of ice fishing here...Thinking i may have seen you last winter on hall lake? I have an 8x16 ice house with white tin on the outside . made the ice crack a few times moving my house around lol had a few lookers thinking I`m nutz.

------------------
Dan

Hello Dan, I hav'nt fished Hall lake yet.I mostly fished Fox and Wilmert lakes , had good luck on both of them. Wilmert lake is were I got caught in the blizzard. I fished Wilmert 3 days/nights in a row and did'nt have a radio or clue that a blizzard was coming, I had the only fishhouse out there.I dont have a debth finder or a power auger yet so I started out with the smaller lakes. This winter I want to try Iowa and Imogene lakes I cant find a map for Imogene but I saw a stocking report for 1998-2000 and they put over one million in there.I also want to find the "spot" on walnut lake. A nearby landowner told me theres a hole over 10 feet in there and gave me diections (pointed) were it is. Walnut is shallow everywere else (4 feet or less) and is stocked heavly with walleye (over a million at a time). How did you do on Hall? I saw quite a few houses out there and a huge pressure ridge running all the way across the lake. I realy like the fishing around Fairmont alot less people (fishing pressure) than Mankato/Fairbult area. Fairmont a long drive for me but I'll be there for sure this winter. I'm thinking about moving that way if I can find decent work.I live in Saint Charles .(work in Rochester), I went to High school in Austin.(graduated in 87).I do asbestos removal,(Labors Union) but thats been slow this year, (no un-employment this winter) need to work this winter or move into my Ice House.Is there very much Industry in fairmont area?
I need a shirt "Will work for walleyes"
Sorry I got off the fishing subject there..
If only my Ice house floated.....I could have free rent all winter.....and summer!!.(joking)
Hope to hear back from ya and see you this winter.

---Gene

------------------

Does anyone have a Mustang survival suit? Pretty expensive, but I'd rather live to fish another day than be cheap and...... They have some called ice riders that don't look too bad. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting one for this winter.