• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heated helmet shield or higher windshield?

Macgyver55

I recently got a new helmet and I find that when it gets to around 0 to 5 degrees it starts having some fogging issues. If I crouch down below the windshield it seems to be better. Since its gonna be cold this weekend and I'm gonna go riding no matter what the temp is, I'm thinking I better either get a higher than stock windshield or a heated shield. Anyone have a heated helmet shield that has held up well over the years?

I've found the opposite. If I have a higher windshield it blocks more air flow thru my helmet and it fogs easier, however it's less painful to crack my shield a bit.

I don't have any fogging issues with a low windshield if I keep my breath going down and out of the helmet, open the vents and having a good breath deflector is key.

I'd go with the heated shield. I found the cord is bulky, but they work nicely.

The wife and I each have the HJC. It was the best move I have ever made since buying a sled. It is NOT fun to fog up especially at night -- if you look hard enough at enough places you can come across a pretty good deal. A buddy of mine got a helmet that was 60 percent off and a heated shield that was $40. It was black, so not too fancy but works awesome.

Heated shield without question.

hit

I bought a new cat helment last year, it worked great with my 04 F6, then I got my new 08 F8, and now it fogs up even at 32 degrees. I was thinking its the small windsheild, becuase I can no longer crack my sheild open a sliver without getting a strong stream of air into my eyes, which never happened before. I wish or want to get a electric sheild, but I don't think they make one for this helment. I will have to get a higher windsheild. anyone have this problem?

I recently got a snocross style helmet and so far like it (I also had fogging issues with my full face helmet). I have a pretty good tolerance for cold temps, but I was wondering what, if any, extra measures are taken to prevent frostbite with subzero temps and a open helmet.

Thanks!

It took one cold weekend for me to realize if I have a planned fishing trip with over a 100 miles of riding across the middle of Lake of the Woods in -30 temps that I need a higher windshield. eek.gif

With the air temp at -1 it wasn't too bad.

My helmet only fogged up once when I blocked the lower part of the helmet to keep the cold air out. My helmet has a great nose-breath deflector, but underneath that is not very protected.

I rode my friend's sled with a higher windshield, and that was the ticket. I warmed up in a hurry! No fogging on either machine regardless of the air temp. I have an HJC helmet and it never fogs up unless I completely blocked the air flow to reduce the pain...