• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any home made atv rack plans

Ride_Red

For years I have built my own atv equipment racks. No plans: you'd have to see them up close to understand. I bought a mig welder a few years back and I can fabricate a very simple and VERY custom auger rack using 1" steel tubing, channel, angle, etc. My auger rack is on the front of a Polaris 500 EFI quad and the auger rides like it is part of the machine.

On my back quad rack is my own dual aluminum equipment box system. Small box holds thermos, odds n' ends, fish, propane bottles. Big box holds heaters, 11# propane tank upright, lunch and lots of other stuff. Everything can pop off quickly, but is designed and built to stay in place at all times while hauling. I drive my fully-loaded atv into a cargo trailer and immediately tie it down with transom straps. I unhook the Otter and slide it on forward into the trailer behind the quad. Shut the door and hit the road. I can be out of the parking lot within 5 minutes. With everything still on board, morning departures as pretty quick too.

'Eye-Skater

I don't have any pictures but that's not a problem. I can shoot digitals and email or post them here. I'd prefer to post them on this board, but not sure if I can...or how for that matter.

Incidentally, I love building my own gear system. I've completely outfitted 3 atvs on the past few years, getting a bit better each time. My auger rack is essentially a very strong yet small cradle device. It carries my Strikemaster in a level position and holds it securely with cam-buckle or cam-over tiedowns. I avoid bungees and rubber like the plague. After fabricating an auger rack I brush-grind it smooth everywhere and round off all corners. I degrease it and then apply multiple coats of Plasti-Dip or other durable coating...whatever color I like.

I consider my atv/shelter rig to be the equivalent of a really good walleye boat. The better everything works, the more successful I'm likely to be.

'Eye-Skater

I built a rack to hold my fish trap scout and an auger. Used 2" square tubing for the rack, it bolts to the back of the wheeler and holds the fish house at a 45 degree angle, I used an 8" piece of PVC SDR 35 for the auger holder. Very Heavy duty and protects the auger from any damage. If you want I can take some pics.

Okay. Sometime today (Friday) I'll shoot some digitals of my rigging. Probably 6 or 8 good shots. I'll send them to all who post an email address here.

Let me add that I enjoy pulling my rig into the garage and puzzling over how to make it better. I realize I can buy plastic atv boxes and universal auger carriers. When I build it myself it's exactly the way I need it. Nothing beats riding out 5+ miles to a remote honey hole and having all equipment work quickly and efficiently. I hate hassle on the ice. I like to carry plenty of good gear, but not a lot of junk. My next project will probably be a carrier for a set of extendable aluminum atv ramps. They occasionally come in handy for crossing unstable cracks.

'Eye-Skater

Big Al: If I was nearby I'd do it for ya. Some day I'm going to spend some time fishing the ice in N Minnesota. I'll be glad to help anyone brave enough to ask me. Like most iceheads, I love to tweak and customize gear. I buy my own premium blanks and build walleye rods. I'm currently doing my own 'rhino' lining inside a 14' aluminum cargo trailer. After that I'm installing E-track for tiedown versatility.

'Eye-Skater