• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ON BOARD CHARGING SYSTEM

Question

I WAS OUT LOOKING FOR AN ONBARD CHARGING SYSTEM,LOOKS LIKE MINN KOTA HAS A NEW ONE OUT THIS YEAR. A LITTLE SPENDY BUT SOME NEW AND DIFFERENT TECHNOLOGY!!
ANY IDEAS OR ADVISE?
JIM
JIMMYJAMJHP@HOTMAIL

6 answers to this question

Jim
The new MinnKota chargers are good units. They differ from most on board chargers in that they are programable for different battery types. This is a great feature for persons utilizing more than one type battery on their boat, or ones that plan on updating in the future. Many of the new batteries have specialized charging needs and can be damaged by normal chargers. The price on these units is really comparable to other on board chargers of the same quality.
Rob

Rob, could you explain what you mean about the minkota chargers being programable. I am going to purchase an on board system this year and was going to get the guest model 2613/2620. But I see there are a few things to resurch here. Thanks, Benny

Benny
On MinnKota models 220 & 330 you can select what type of battery is being charged. Each bank (output) is selected seperately, so it is possible to correctly charge multiple types with the one charger. Both of the Guest models you named are good choices, as well as the Cabelas model 2000. If you are going to use a regular deep cycle lead acid battery, the Guest, Cabelas, Dual Pro, And Minn Kota are all sutible. The batteries that are more apt to be damaged by incorrect chargers are the dry and acid-glass-mat batteries now available. This is where the programable chargers fit in.
Rob

Thanks Rob, I have not decided which type to get yet. Propably the minn kota like the last one.

I have one more question : I run several electronics off the start batt( i know this is not wise) but is there a deep cycle/ start battery out there? Or would a start battery with more marine cranking amps and min of reserve work best? I don't want to burn out my starter thou. Thanks, Benny

ROB AND BENNY;
DECIDED TO PURCHASE THE GUEST 2620
TOO MANY RETURNS AND TROUBLE WITH THE MINN KOTAS! LAST YEAR, TALKED TO OWNERS OF BOTH!
FORMER MINN KOTA OWNERS BUYING GUEST CHANGED
MY MIND.
THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!!
JIM

Benny
There are batteries that are dual purpose starting and deep cycle. They have better capacity than a starting battery for running your electronics and will not burn out your starter.
Rob