• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nils Master Sharpening Service (Now Authorized by Nils Master)

I purchased a Nils auger at the end of the season spring 2010. What is the better cutting head? IF there is 2 difffrent ones for some reason i think there is. the one i got has the center cutting bits looks like it should cut good.

fishingking , thank you.

If the blades are in good shape you won't notice much if any difference between the two.

The power point or center point tend to keep the blade from wandering on uneven surfaces when starting a hole. Not that a good and sharp non center point wanders. If they do then its safe to assume they are not cutting the rest of the hole like they should and would need to be sharpened. So the the differences are minimal. From my point of view I'd rather open a package and see a non power point only because it has two less blades to deal with but it isn't a big deal either way. One definite benefit of the PP is it can take damage that would otherwise be hit on the non PP starting edge. A chip on that main cutting edge has to be ground back on both blades to match. Now you've widen that gap between the blades alignment. it becomes more aggressive but its life as far as future sharpening is less.

All but 1 of my blades are center point. I prefer the center point on my power auger and the non centerpoint on the hand held. I dont know why I like the non on the hand auger, maybe because it starts cutting a bit sooner I dont know. I havent seen a non centerpoint sold in a long time. If you have the center point you will be fine eiethr by hand or powered up.

Make sure you have a extra blade though. No matter what type of auger people run they should always have at least 1 extra.

well i was in cabelas and got a sweet deal on a 6" shaft and power head {auger blades} yesterday had it in there bargin cave. Now i really cant wait but still need the 8" later this summer hopefully. Ill keep you in mind Northlander when the time gets here.

Just and FYI,

Nils refers to the blade with a two small cutting blades in the center as a power point.

When the word "power" is used to describe something I tend to think of engine or motor.

For clarity purposes I use the term center point instead of power point.

Beware of Nils blades in the bargain bin as there is a very good possibility it got dinged and the reason it sent there. smile

frank you will be getting a blade from me soon. for those that havent had a blade sharpened by Surface Tension....dont be scared...frank gets it back to you SUPER fast and SUPER sharp. be careful taking it to just anyone to get sharpened. i made that mistake once and it was not sharpened correctly and it would not cut any ice. send it to Surface Tension!

ST hats off to you i finally got out and used my six inch shaft you sharpened them a couple weeks ago WOW. I think ill be sending the 8" off at the end of the season. Still looking for a second set of blades for that. The 6" cuts like i cant believe drilled 50 holes in a row and was not tired. Drilled at least 150 that day and it is fast. Only thing i dont like is it leaves more slush in the hole than my strikemaster but its faster and lighter.

I live close to Frank so I have him touch my blades up every once in a while. wink Man can I tel the difference from a already sharp blade to one Frank has just done. Nobody can tel me there is a faster auger out there than my Nils with a blade done by Frank. If there is its not stock. Maybe one of them 115 horse Strikemasters that they like to show off. grin

So I'm going through this thread for the first time and everything that has been said about S/T's service and dedication is true. I consider Frank not only a great neighbor, but one of the best, loyal friends I have ever had, ever. When Frank say's he test's every blade out I know it's true. Can't tell you how many times he has been late to fish with me because he was running down to the lake to test out blades he had just sharpened. Trustworthy, loyal, committed, and honest are words I use to describe him. I am not trying to promote anything here, just shootin' straight. BC

While I do not know Frank personally. Last year I hit a rock with my 8" nils, and needless to say It took about 15 minutes to limp through a hole after that. I immeadiatley sent it out to Frank, got it back a few days later, took it to the bwca and smoked out about 80 holes a day by hand, with much more ease than the 6" lazer we brought as a backup. Frank is Highly recommended for his services. Money well spent.

With the close of ice season approaching just a reminder to get a thin coat of oil on your auger blades before you store them.

Here is a picture I thought I'd share.

A line up of 8 and 6" Nils and Finn Bore blades.

Only thing missing is a couple 4.5" blades.

Sharpened, ready for Test Drill and sent back to their owners.

full-831-6461-nils&finnbore.jpg

Frank...

I'll be sending up an 8"er to get sharpened in the next week. Gotta a late season BW laker trip planned, one of the younger guys is bringing a Mora Blue as a back-up, I'm fully expecting to see his jaw drop watching the performance of the Nils. smile