• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nils Master Sharpening Service (Now Authorized by Nils Master)

I got a good solid season on mine, would it be a good idea to get it sharpened now or wait till I notice it getting dull?? I do have a spare just in case.

As long as you bring the spare with fishing and fish lakes that are pretty clean ( not a lot of sand in the ice) keep using it till it gets dull. I am on going on my third year and mine still cuts great but I do fishing very clean lakes. I also drill lots of holes when I am out so its not like I drill 50 holes a season but more like a minimum 50 each time I go.

I fish clean ice, but since getting the Nils I seem to enjoy drilling more. I'm always happy to go punch holes for guys laying on their augers, they just look at me with that shocked look when I punch 4 holes for them in less time than they spent on 1/2 a hole. It annoys me having to listen to someone take 3-4 minutes to drill 1 hole, guy can only take listening to a Jiffy roar for so long.

ST did up my Nils blades for me last year and they cut as good as the day I 1st got them. Maybe better. At $20 you cant go wrong. I also know he cuts with every set before he sends them back and only after they can cut his hair off his arm and burn through ice do they go out. His left forearm was like a babies but at the end of last winter. I think his legs might have too. grin

Question on the Nils augers...

My buddy bought a new one last week and we popped about 20 holes with it on Wednesday...it worked amazingly! Then all of a sudden it wouldn't drill another hole! We thawed all ice/snow around the blade and still NO cutting ice! It would just spin on top.

The ONLY thing we can think of is that at one point I did apply a small amount of pressure while drilling a hole as I was getting tired. Is that enough to ruin the blade???

How sensitive are these blades to bending? Do they need to be cradled like a baby?

A small amount of pressure isn't going to hurt the blade. IMO, you have to bang it pretty hard to bend it.

The blade is a precision cutting instrument, one nick and it won't cut. When not in use the guard goes back on. Besides having any auger laying around without the guard on is dangerous.

A dog, kid, or a clumsy fishing buddy could get hurt badly.

Im guessing you cut through some sand or salt and it dulled your blade. 20 holes in sandy ice will dull a blade. Thats why I tel everyone to ALWAYS have extra blades with you no matter what auger you have. Sand, salt, oar dust etc. is a shaver blades worst enemy no matter what brand.

On a good note I just had Frank sharpen 2 Nils blades for me and they cut fantastic. Tried them with a hand auger and they cut like a hot knife through butter but once I put them on the power auger it was lights out! Thanks Frank you do good work!

I noticed recently that one of my blades was losing performance, so on my way up North on Friday, I dropped it off with Frank and picked it up today. Heck he even offered to do it while I waited!

With Frank now being authorized, it sure is nice to know that I will never have to worry about being augerless due to having a dull blade.

Thanks again Frank.

One more happy camper here!

I cant even believe how fast that was. I sent my blades in Wednesday evening and I got them back this morning (Friday am).

I was going to send Frank a email last night telling him that I had sent my blades to him, he had beaten me to the punch though. I already had a email in my inbox telling me they were on the way back. Awesome!

Thanks again Frank.

Thanks Frank! That was a quick turn around. I sent out my blade, and got it back sharper then new I think, in just a couple days.

I highly recommend Frank for sharpening your Nils blades. It is a good idea to get them blades sharpened and ready for next year. You dont want to store it dull, then end up on the lake next season with a dull blade, not being able to drill a hole to fish.