• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Does Cabelas have something against Dave Genz products?

Is it just me or does it seem Cabelas is against Dave Genz products lately. Looks as if they are discontinuing the vexilars in favor of the Marcum and don't seem to be carrying the Fish Traps any longer either... I thought it was very odd for a sports store of that size to not have fish traps (at least the store in Owattona didn't)...

My best guess is Cabela's like everyone else is in for the bottom line. Marcum has probably made a move to become a part of the electronics of fishing and may have struck up a deal which gives Cabela's a better profit margin. Can't be because Vexilar does not provide an excellent product.
Wait till Marcum develops some kinda problem and has a major recall.

That is my 2 cents worth

I read in one of the forums that Vexilar pulled their products from Cabela's. The reason was that Cabela's made up their own Vexilar packages. They would add their soft cases and accessories to the FL-8 and FL-18. Like I said, I read it somewhere and this doesn't make it factual.

You're on to it, buyn4us. The way I understand it, cabelas tried to flex "big box muscles" and it didn't work. Vexilar is not untouchable, but their product is top notch, local, and they provide amazing customer service. Often times, super stores can push around vendors and manufacturers, but not Vexilar.
BTW, Dave Genz does not own Vexilar. He uses them, but who doesn't? Perhaps Cabelas tried to flex a little muscle on USL as well?????????

[This message has been edited by irvingdog (edited 02-09-2003).]

irving dog/byun4us
They (Cabela's) would buy just the locator and add their own battery pack, case, charger, and charger indicator and sell it as a vexilar pro pack, which was totally different than what Vexilar put out on the market. Dave Genz as far as I know promotes vexilar and uses their product, but has no financial ties to the company.

Dave Genz may not have any ownership of vexilar or USL, but his name is always associated with both companies. I assume he is sponsered by both of these companies at a minimum, and possibly has more at stake with one or both of the companies...

I just found it very hard to believe that they didn't carry fish traps which is a Dave Genz exclusive - but they did have clams which are a USL product, but not Dave Genz... Just wondering... I'm sure Cabelas has the muscle to push a lot of these vendors around with the mass quantity they are buying. Vexilar would be absolutely insane to not want cabelas to stock their products. I very seriously doubt Vexilar made this decision.

Dave did start and may still own part if not all of USL. If they have the Clam but not the Fish Trap, that was a mutual decision.
If Vexilar were forced to offer parts of thier line at a critically reduced price, I'm sure they were more than happy to not have Cabelas carry their product. I can think of several bow muanufacturers that don't sell to sporting goods stores because they feel the store doesn't have what it takes to sell their product. They relinquish huge sales opportunities based on principal. Pretty cool.......

Vexilar pulled their products from Cabela's because Vexilar was getting to many warranty claims on parts that were'nt theirs(ie:the parts cabela's added) I was told this not a permanent deal, they will be back in stores, don't know when?

I just bought a trap at cabela's 2 weeks ago,Prarie du chein store, so I cant help there.

IceC

------------------
Have an Ice day smile.gif

[This message has been edited by IceC (edited 02-09-2003).]

IceC hit it on the head.

Cabala's insists on adding their "STUFF" and Vexilar decided they didn't want anything to do with it.

Odds are good you will get a better deal from the Vexilar site anyway, plus you get 100% Vexilar tested product, not knock off add on stuff.

Cabela's has a terrible ice fishing selection anyway, they carry less ice stuff then some small bait shops I have seen.
Bottom line, if you don't like the store don't spend you're money there.

What Cabela's says you get in thier catalog and what you get ( in my case anyways ) are not the same.
For instance , I ordered an FL-18 that SAID in the catalog was suposed to come with a 12 degree transducer. I received a 19 degree transducer instead. No big deal as I have a 9/19 I was gonna put on the 18 anyways but I rarely switch to the 19 degree transducer and would have liked the 12 for my older unit. Cabela's dropped the ball on this one and as a result Vexilar caught the flack I figure.

Yea, I end up buying ice fishing equipment elsewhere most of the time. I agree their ice fishing selection is not the greatest.

It is still tough to find better selection in this area. Gander Mt. is getting better and I've done more shopping there... I keep getting this gift certificates and club points, etc.. guess that is what keeps me going back...

I have seen traps in the past at Cabelas, not sure what the deal is there... They seem to be pushing the Otters very hard now. Must be making more money on those..

Here is the true story of what happened between us and Cabela's. Ed you can please pass this on for me?

Early this season, Vexilar discontinued all stand-alone ice units. We now only offer FL-8s and FL-18s for ice fishing in the Pro Pack or Value Pack form. We needed to do this because a number of retailers were piecing together their own ice combos (using low quality components such as batteries, chargers, and carry cases) in order to get a cheaper price than our popular, and reliable, Pro and Value Packs.

In addition, many of these systems were not preassembled and often had missing or mismatched parts. The result of this was many dissatisfied customers. We pride ourselves on customer satisfaction and it's difficult to take care of the customer when he is complaining about product you do not provide, and therefore cannot warranty.

Our Pro Packs are fully assembled, factory tested, and warranted as a complete system. Cabela's does not wish to offer our Pro or Value Packs. The reason for this is unclear, but this is why you can no longer get a Vexilar at Cabela's. We hope that this situation is only temporary. We value our relationships with all retailers, but the end customer's satisfaction must come first.

I'd be happy to answer any further questions about this.

Mitchell Bennis

Vexilar, Inc.

Don't get me wrong, I have spent many $$$ over the years with Cabelas for fishing gear, summer fishing gear, and I have never had to send one thing back. I always got what I ordered and the delivery time is outstanding, 2 to 3 days on most orders.
If I have a problem with one place or store, I can't get what I want, I go someplace else.
I go to Fleet for some stuff, Gander or Gaylens for other stuff and the net for other stuff and I don't have a problem with this.
Is it so important to you to get youre Vex from Cabels?
I alway try to spend my money in my local economy I just think it makes good sense.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Hi Mitch,
I'd like to know if Cabelas refuses to offer the Pro Packs from Vexilar straight up or do they refuse to offer Vexilar if they can't offer their accessories on your stand alone units as well as the Pro Packs?

I ask this question because it would seem that Cabelas not wanting to offer your Pro Packs and just wanting to offer their depth/fish finder accessories without also selling the Vexilar Pro Packs is pushing their muscle a bit too far.

Thanks for posting that Eddy, that makes good sense to me... I think it is good that Vexilar doesn't give in to the giant retailer. I'm sure they will come to some sort of agreement. I think it is in the interest of both parties to continue that relationship.

The reason I buy from Cabelas is mainly bonus points and gift certificates... I have a ton of points and gift certificates, so I can more easily justify ridiculous purchases such as this to myself... I'm totally done with Galyans, never will go to one again. Not real impressed with Fleet Farm or Gander Mt., although I give my fair share of business to both. I must credit Gander Mt. for making some major improvements over the past few years.. Cabelas get's a good share of my business. I'm just a little dissapointed, going down there to buy a fish trap and finding out they don't have one. Now, thinking of purchasing a FL-18 and they don't have that either... bummer... I was more just curious as to why they quit selling traps and vexilar...

I don't know if Cabela's has anything against Gentz but I do. Last year I sent Gentz 20.00 to "join" the Ice Team. What I joined was the Suckers Team. An absolute waste of money.

------------------
IceNutt

(In response to Ricks inquiry. A fallow up on the response about Cabela's packages.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We have not cut-off Cabela's as a customer.

We only discontinued a specific product configuration, across the board, that was causing customer satisfaction issues. They are more than welcome to order Pro Packs or any of our other products that we offer.

Almost all of the other retailers, who were also affected by this decision, have chosen to carry the Pro and Value Packs.

We truly hope that Cabela's will eventually follow suit.

Thanks,

Mitchell Bennis
Vexilar, Inc.
http://www.vexilar.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a side note to this discussion....A lot of the major retailers take brand name products and change them just enough to get around the various laws that have to do with patents and such. They take the product out of country and "knock off" a similar looking product at a greatly reduced price. They then dump the brand name product, replacing it with their product and "brand name".

[This message has been edited by kevin neve (edited 02-12-2003).]