• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to post pics and avatars here (how-to video added)

Hey all:

Here's the how-to on posting an image in a thread on the forums, as well as posting an avatar. For those of you looking in here for the first time, hopefully this serves. For those of you frustrated with trying to do this stuff, with any luck you'll be able to do it a lot easier now, since we've edited and deleted posts to make it as simple as possible to use this thread to learn how to post pictures. Big thanks to Dbl and dtro, who have put in a lot of advice that, for brevity's sake, has been added to some of these initial posts before their posts were deleted. smilesmile

Note: You can now upload a photo directly from your computer to HSO/FM. Use the Icon with the light blue arrow pointing up.

PHOTO IN THREAD

Images should be no more than 800 pixels on the long side. Horizontals wider than that will force some members with smaller computer screens (also depending on how screen resolution is set) to have to scroll back and forth to see the whole image, which sort of destroys the point of the pic, since seeing the whole image all at once on the screen has the best impact.

First, upload the images from your computer, using the brown/black icon with the blue arrow, direcxtly to HSO.

It will automatically place the code for you.

You're good to go.

To put up an avatar, first size it no larger than 110x150 pixels and save it as a gif, png or jpg. Then load the pic onto a photobucket-like Web site and, referring to dtro's screen grab below

Project1.png

copy the "direct link" code, which in the Photobucket screen grab shown above is the second line.

Then come into HSO/FM and click on "my stuff" at the top, choosing "my profile." Then page down to the bottom of the profile to where the avatar is and paste your avatar URL in where it asks you to, making sure you check the circle that says "URL to your avatar."

(note from dtro: I recently created a tutorial video to help out a little more with this)

When posting multiple photos in a thread, make sure that each picture's link is on a separate line. I put two or three spaces between lines so it's easier on the eyes. If the code is in one line the photos will be side by side.

Flickr Users:

In order to post your picture on a message board, click on the photo from your Photostream. Once you are looking at the page dedicated to that photo, click on 'All Sizes' in the toolbar above your photo. From here, you should see a large version of your picture and an option to choose from "Available Sizes: Square, Thumbnail, Small, Medium, Large." Click and choose the size you wish to use, and scroll down to the bottom of that page. Use the one titled "Grab the photo's URL:." Copy this link.

Back to the HSO/HM HSOforum, in your reply window, click on the 4th button from the left and paste the URL into the pop-up window. Or enclose the picture in the appropriate tags. (Like so: INSERT URL HERE)

FOR EVERYONE THAT KEEPS POSTING PICTURES AS A TEST, REMEMBER YOU CAN USE THE "PREVIEW POST" BUTTON. IF YOU DID EVERYTHING CORRECTLY IT WILL SHOW UP IN THE PREVIEW, NO NEED TO ACTUALLY POST. Or if you actually post the shot, delete the post when you see it works. smile

If you have problems by all means try to post and ask questions, someone will get you on the right track. It would be nice to keep this down to a few pages so folks don't have to go through 10 pages to find a solution. Thank you very much.

Here is what it should look like.

321458590_Qr8yR-L.jpg

Just discovered by lambjm (Thanks a ton for finding this one) when trying to post an avatar and you get the error that says "location a required field" make sure the box that indicates "Geographic Location" is filled in with something. If this is left blank you will get the error message.

I need help, just read through your post above but now another member said I don't need a photo hosting sight in order to post pictures. Went to the orange horizon w/blue arrow on a normal reply, found and image on my desktop and it didn't do a thing not even show in the Preview, what am I doing wrong or is the HSOforum acting up????

Please help?

thanks,

mr

Sounds like you used the correct button to upload and you found the image to upload but did you actually upload it? You "Browse" for the file, "Add the file" and then click "Done adding files". So three steps to take with three buttons to push when the upload window appears.

What's up with my Avatar? I used this same picture last year and it looked find. This year the fish looks smaller, I look like I gained a 100lbs, when really I lost 20lbs since the picture was taken last year! confused

It's a glitch in the system, leech. Try going into "edit profile" under "my stuff" and reloading it. Hey, look on the bright side. It makes the skinniest 35.5 inch laker I've ever seen in my life look a LOT fatter. Would you be willing to gain 100 lbs in order for that fish to be a 20+ lber like it should have been? gringrin

Am I missing something? I can upload pictures and upload an avatar picture without flickr or anything like that? I have the pictures on my computer and on facebook. Anyone know how to do it that way. Also what is "the brown/black icon with the blue arrow"? Also mentioned above was the light blue arrow pointing up. I must be blind, cause I can't find this. Any help would be appreciated.

The "the brown/black icon with the blue arrow pointing up" is in the "reply, or new topic" box. It is used to add photos to that post. You still need to add your avitar photo from photobucket of flicker because it needs to be downsized in order to make it small enough.

For those mobile users try uploading your photos to the HSO gallery. It is the 5th button from the left, the one with the blue arrow pointing up. Avatars must be hosted through on line file hosting service such as Photobucket, etc.

You "Browse" for the file, "Add the file" and then click "Done adding files". So three steps to take with three buttons to push when the upload window appears. Then wait a bit for things to upload. May take more than a few minutes. Don't know what else to tell you.

The other option is to send the photo to your e-mail from the phone and then use the conventional upload from the computer method. Make sure you read through the beginning of this thread. Good luck.