• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice fishing 2007-2008

Hi my name is Aaron, and I own tip ups. Isn't that the first step? I think I'll only use them now to decorate my fishing room!

Tim, those pics are awesome! Let’s see more.

I believe there is fewer people ice fishing now, but I believe that the combination of invasive species, electronics, and portable shelters has changed ice fishing all together from what it once was.

I don't mind people selling fish; I just wish they would follow the rules set by the DEC. I also wish that the DEC would either patrol more or hire more officers to cover the little lakes.

This sire is truly awesome.

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bud,welcome aboard cool.gif you got that right timmy I remember the day we fished with bud and enytyler. bud wanted to know if you had your lazer tim said yes and a way bud went I don't know how many he drilled but it was alot.Welcome Bud I hope we can get down there to fish with you guys.Todd

Originally Posted By: insurance guy
Holy Cow that tipup timmy guy looks a little like Johnny Fever from WKRP in Cincinatti grin.gif He needs a taller bucket!

Don't know how I missed this one John, priceless. Mike and I would be out on the ice listening to football and popping peers.. Good times but tip-ups were a serious crutch back then. Didn't know the Vassils back then but I can bet they were slinging a ton of fish with the enemy back then. Speaking of Jay and John how did you guys make out on the lake today?

Thanks for the reply insurance guy. It's nice to be able to speak my mind here and not get bash from every angle. They might as well ban the sale of panfish though' date=' there grin.gifreally isn't anyone around here (syracuse) to sell them to anymore. quote']

Hey no problem. We're just here to talk a little, have some fun and laugh at the old pictures of Timmy and his tipups!!!!!!!!! Okay, someone please post more pictures of Timmy and his tipups if you got em \:D

Remember, friends don't let friends use tipups but I'll let you troll grin.gif

I agree with you john grin.gif I too would like to see some more of those pics. When I seen those not ten minutes later Tim called and he didn't see them yet when he loged in and seen them boy did he laugh those are a good conversation piece Tim you have to admit cool.gif.

awe come on Timmy It's cause we love ya man.... and it was a group effort i think!!! ..... yeah a group thing....... See all the posts, we should have a "Flash to the Past" thread, just for the good old days!!

And i'd post more pics but i think i'm not gettin near the office anytime soon!!! sorry guy's

So can I fish with you this weekend timmy?? Or anyone?? Looking at this week and monday for sure

My wife just said she'd second that comment Frank \:Dgrin.gif I need a rider for Thursday guys who's going up with me? Frank? Jimmy and Kyle are out, they have to pay... Fishingking are you in with crappie slayer 22 for another run up to the big dog.. Dougy? Time to blast the pirates grin.gif

I,m in Timmy...where do you want to meet?

I know a fella that makes good sandwiches...I'll talk to him and see what's fresh on the menu for Thursday

I should have round 2 in from "The Plastic Man"

BTW...The girls and myself had a ball out there yesterday with Tim#2. Hope to see you soon!

We might actually have fishable ice around us Todd...let's hope the yellow tape is down!!!!!

I have to agree with the masses Tim, the pics were good for a laugh. Now it's your turn, enjoy sweet revenge of some type, at some unexpected time! lol My view on the numbers today...I agree with Tim, I think due to local economics for one reason, we see more guys now. Secondly, at least in my area, we have a lot of immigrants that have begun to ice fish. Troulbe is, many of them don't know or maybe don't care about the regs. I don't mind you fishing near me or even with me most times. Just don't surround me when I've got my tent up so when I lift it, I'm lucky if the ice I'm on doesn't float away. I too have called DEC with no response. Too few guys with too large a territory and they're given "priorities" some times. Results or "numbers" ae what's wanted by the admins. I also agree that enviornmental dymnamics have changed and require some adjusting on our part. The worst part is as was said, the folks out there who'll break rules no matter how loose they are.

Hey Tim, I'm free from Tomorrow until Monday. I'm looking for a decent spot if nothing else. Got the route to my spot in Tully too!!! Soon as we have ice there, I've got to take you. I promise, no surprise photo ops too. hehehe

Doug would you be coming up 26? if so take 49E to the E.Dominick St. exit approximately 4 mi., you will go over a bridge and the exit is right there, take it. At the light go straight and stay to the left of the bar, "Jimmy Bravo's" . At the stop sign go straight and at the next stop sign turn right. Go straight through the next stop sign you will be on Culverton, the road will wind around to the left, take your first street on the right that's Mayberry Rd. Go to the 4 way intersection take a right on Millbrook, go straight you will see my house 508 Millbrook Rd., it will have the front light and porch light on, park in front of my house on the street and will load up and take the Venture. You guys are gonna love Kevin Riley he's one of the most down to earth guys. I'll post what time to meet me here when I finalize with Kevin tomorrow night Doug... Thanks pal, trips on me pal if your bringing sandwiches grin.gif

Ray - If there wasn't such a walk on this trip I know you would go, it's a hike. Keep that Tully one close to the vest especially with this crew grin.gif I'll give you a hollar tomorrow Ray... After seeing those picture of me sleeping on my minnow bucket most of the time why would anyone want to see more? grin.gif

Originally Posted By: CNY Tim
Fishingking are you in with crappie slayer 22 for another run up to the big dog.. Dougy? Time to blast the pirates grin.gif

so far my schedule is free for Thursday. I'll make the run up there again but unsure if CS22 will be there, he is still in HS and really shouldn't be skipping so many days to icefish \:\) but i might have someone else who is interested in going (he has fished there before with me once). I will talk to him tomorrow and see whats up as we will be making the rounds locally for some safe ice. IT would be hard to pass up some gourmet Reuben sandwiches on Thursday but it would save alot of gas to stay local as well \:\)

I'll trust your judgement Tim. My body is geting stronger each week. Don't use the pain meds but got some other gizmos that sure help when I'm hurting. The only thing that acts up is the back and it's mostly the muscles getting inflamed. The signals still get screwed up at the back, I guess. Looks like the ins. co. is going to foot the bill for the radio freq. thingy for the nerves. Sure glad they paid for the Facet injections! Almost $2k a pop (once per month). Ouch!!! Hurt more than the needles. Tim, I may even bring some venison out when we go!! Not much left, but...nothing like cooking it up on the ice. I got a few product I was asked to T&E. Maybe we can slip that in too. Call whenever you have time.

Ray

Timmy, timmy, timmy! How did you ever allow picture of that sensitive nature ever get into circulation? Let me break down each picture. Pict number one - Looks like your setting the hook like an ape on steroids, just like when I first met ya. Pict two, you look lost and confused in a sea of tip-ups. Fast forward to today and you still look lost and confused! crazy.gif I

Dont feel too bad though. I have a picture of Tank here catching a walleye on a tip-up from the early 70's. Thankfully he gave them up about the time I was born in 75...

Fised a small cortland co lake today and did ok. Caught a bunch of small gills and crappies, weeded through them and got some nicer ones. We both kept 10-12 including a big perch each. Had to work each fish which made them more rewarding.Fished from about 2 till and hour after dark. Fish were there after dark but it got even slower. I did get one 11.5 crappie right before we left...

p1150199wt6.jpg

My take on the selling of fish. Could care less either way. I do believe it can hurt small waters but people are way to quick to blame poor fishing on the selling of fish. We fished oneida a ton during the late 80's through the 90's and the perch fishing was amazing at times and most people were selling to some degree. We sold some, didnt make money. We were happy to sell saturdays catch and pay for breakfast, some gas, and maybe some new gear. Sundays catch went home unless we did really well then we'd sell the females( more weight-money). People selling did not hurt that fishery one bit. At its peak there were 2-3 groups comercially netting the lake and it kept up with that. Zebra mussels and a few other enviormental factors changed the lake and the perching wasnt ever the same. And I highly doubt it will ever be the same again...

Many lakes are truly underfished and need more taken out...

My eyes are getting sore, more on this later...

A lot of the lakes that are out of the way or for some other reson don't get fished much, are truly underfished. I know of a small one on the way to Oceola that gets fished for bullhead but not much more. It's a bit out of the way, a beautiful view, very shallow,tons of blow down and fallen timber, and loaded to the max with SMALL bass. I've gone out with 2 other guys in the canoe and we all caught on almost every cast. That's how many there are, but every one was small. So over-populated that it's counterproductive. I don't know the history of the lake but it sure needs to be brought into ballance. It's State property so why not net it each year for stocker fish that the state could use, donate or sell? Nah, that makes way too much sense. It is after all the State of NY were talking about (A.K.A. the State of Confusion)

nice crappie Jay. Did you try the close up shot on that crappie? Reason I ask is my flash for some reason doesn't work inside my trap in close-up mode. If I leave it in regular mode the flash works. confused.gif

Guys I just got this email back from my boss and I am not happy. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif This stinks, sorry Doug and Kevin...

Tim,

Tom has a dentist appointment Thursday; I have a couple meetings in the

morning at Ridge Street and Denise has worked her 2 days here this week.

I really want to avoid both of you off together again.

please try to arrange your trip another day,

Thanks,

Tim

Doug/Kevin/Jimmy/?Frankie?....lets hit it tomorrow, Ill bring my tools of the trade for some pirate fishing as well!!! Im going to see if i can take it off, i will know by the end of the day and post around 3:30...

Timmy that email from your boss sucks man, i might be in the same boat tho as far as coverage, have to see i guess....