• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sax-Zim Bog gathering

Hey all:

Jonny Redhorse has generously offered to show us some good wildlife photographic locations at the Sax-Zim Bog south of Virginia west of Hwy 53.

The Bog was the premiere location for great gray and northern hawk owls during the now famous invasion winter a few winters back. Most winters you can find at least a handful of great grays and hawk owls there, as well as black-billed magpies, boreal chickadees, shrikes, rough-legged hawks and more.

While quite a few of us have spent a fair amount of time there, it's one of Jonny's main hangouts, and he's got some excellent locations for specific bird species over the years.

This is planned for Sunday, Dec. 30, and so far includes Jonny, Finnbay, Mike Cary and myself.

So chime in if you're interested in coming. The "Bog" is not a specific piece of landscape, but a patchwork of bog-type country and other open country that runs for several miles and is crisscrossed by a number of paved highways and gravel roads.

So it'll be a "drive-and-stop" type of thing. There will likely be some photo opps, but as a group it's hard for photographers to get close shots of a lot of those birds, so the primary focus probably will be on having a good time with good photographers and learning specific locations any of us can come back to at our leisure.

The Bog is a bit over an hour from Ely and a bit under and hour from Duluth.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey XT, make a weekend of it. There are maps of the bog floating around and I bet if you sweet-talked Jonny he'd send you one. You could come up with your map Friday, stay in Duluth or Virginia and hit the Bog with the map on Saturday, then you can join the rest of us on Sunday.

In fact, if you do that, I'd try to set aside time and gas $ to shoot with you on Saturday if you felt like it.

Steve, you're making it awful tempting. After all, gas is cheap. tongue.gif Of course, much will depend on the weather, here and there. I've stayed at the Super 8 in Virginia a number of times, and that motel is decent. Also Steve, you could show me some tips regarding my 30D and 100-400 lens that's COMING TOMORROW! Thanks for the invite.

Jonny, how about a map? Thanks. Please, please, please.

[email protected]

That is tempting but also a long drive for us westerners, even though I will be celebrating christmas in the cities on the 29th.

I think that a get together would be fun in the spring time also, maybe we could start a get together post and come up with a good day this spring to go out and all get muddy somewere centrally located to all who want to participate. Give us plenty of time to make arragements for hotels, vacation day etc.

Deitz, this is wide open. Anyone, with any level camera, can come. I have photo excursion clients who bring point-and-shoots and we have a great time. As the date approaches and we see who's coming, it's a simple matter to break into groups based on different areas of interest, if there are enough people for that. For example, more experienced photogs may simply want to tour the specific locations, while those less experienced may prefer a different type of learning experience.

I'm happy to share anything I can with anyone who wants to learn, and no doubt others will teach what they know, too. Looks like a heckuva potential photo excursion here, all. Just a matter of being flexible and taking things as they come. grin.gif

Plus, we still haven't met, DD, and that is long overdue. I think it would be rewarding. However, be sure to bring your camera manual! grin.gif

X, as you know I've been shooting the 20D/30D and 100-400 for quite a long while now. I'll share with you whatever tips I can. It's better if we're shooting together so I can see how you are using the equipment and your technique.

One way or another, looks like a fine old time will be had at the Bog excursion. Thanks for sharing your locations with us, Jonny! grin.gifgrin.gif

Paul, spring is a GREAT time for photographing wildlife. If you have thoughts about where and when that "centrally located" gathering might best happen, please start a different thread here on the photo sharing board so we can all give input while keeping the gatherings separate — and allow this one to remain on topic for Sax-Zim Bog.

Quote:

X, as you know I've been shooting the 20D/30D and 100-400 for quite a long while now. I'll share with you whatever tips I can. It's better if we're shooting together so I can see how you are using the equipment and your technique.

Hopefully, I'll have learned how to use my equipment by then. I'm hoping it's fairly similar to 35mm. I used to shoot plenty of that. And, I am used to shooting manually with my Panasonic. I'm getting pumped. laugh.gif

Sounds like it would be a great time with some good teachers but I am told we have a crew coming up to the cabin for ice fishing but hope to make it another time. I have drove around the area and with its diverse make up you can see why there is so many different type birds and animals.

Quote:

Pumped enough to make the Bog gathering? You did, after all, make your journey to Agassiz NWR earlier this year.
wink.gif

You betcha. I already told the Mrs. I was going to Virginia at the end of the month and she asked if it was the state of Virginia. grin.gif SHe said if it was, she was going along. She lost interest when I told her where I was really going.

Looks like the "bog meet" is a go! grin.gif....looking forward to meeting everyone.....Steve,if you have any favorite special places or suggestions to meet,just chime in!...may it be Virginia, Hibbing,or Meadowlands at some smaller restaurant...I'm open for suggestions(anybody!)...

Sounds great! I already made adjustments to my Missouri plans to be sure to be back in time. Last time Steve and I met at the gas station in Cotton and went from there. I don't know if this is the best location, but certainly is a potential. I'll happily meet wherever.

On a side note, Paul made a spring suggestion. I already have a potential suggestion/idea for spring. If others would be interested, I think it would be great to head into southern North Dakota or northern S.D. during late April or early May. This should line up nicely with the big spring migration and would not cut into the Minnesota fishing opener. With the appropriate advanced planning, people could take days off (if necessary) and make car-pooling arrangements (to save on costs). Just a thought to throw out there since I happen to be a waterfowl photo nut in particular (and have been contemplating a trip there anyway) . wink.gif

Michael, just start a new thread on this board proposing your spring shooting idea and ask how folks feel about it. That'll keep this thread about the Sax-Zim shoot, and will allow others to chime in about spring shooting ideas. You or Paul go ahead and start that thread, since you've both got ideas about it. It sounds like a great deal. grin.gifgrin.gif

Jonny, probably we should meet up at a restaurant before sunup. Could be a chance for everyone to meet and eat breakfast together. I can't remember the name of the place, but there was a restaurant near the Bog that did booming business a few winters ago during the owl invasion. Anybody remember what restaurant that was and where it is?

Personally, I was kind of hoping we'd be meeting somewhere near Virginia. That's already about 325 miles for me. Plus, it's near the bog and I'll be staying overnight there.

The spring idea sounds great. Here is a location I'd like to recommend. It's in northern SD. I've never been there, but it's on my list for this spring. http://www.stateparks.com/waubay.html

Steve,If I remember right ,there's 2 restaurants in the Sax Bog area...one in Cotton(not actually in the bog but near it) right on hwy 53.....Wilberts Cafe...thee other one is right in Meadowlands known as "The Rocket Saloon and Cafe"...never ate at either one but gotta be ok from the birding site that I got the information from(Laura Erickson)

no doubt there's more in the area...maybe they serve rocket fuel to wash down those morning pancakes and eggs in Meadowlands shocked.gif... grin.gif

Probably close to 20 years ago, I owned 40 acres about 4 miles north of Meadowlands. I had a little extra dough and just wanted a piece of the north country. It was a little wooded with a river running behind it. I had it tested by the proper authorities for putting in a wildlife pond. I paid $10,500 for it, rented it our during the winter to the original owners, and resold it the following spring, back to the original oweners for $11,000. Our kids were little and it was just too far to go. I could really kick myself now.