• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What size perch (length) is a trophy?

toughguy

In-Fisherman master angler program takes a 15 incher for their C and R registry......And that is one tough nut to crack! Gots to be one of the hardest ones in MN to achieve I'd say?

fiskyknut

The first time I got a 13 1/2 inch perch, I to thought I had a walleye on. One of the other fishermen on Mille Lacs that morning assured me it was a perch and low and behold, this monster perch pops out of the hole!

I think I got something like 4 of them that size and 4-5 just a tad smaller...it was great and hooked me solid on perch fishing through the ice.....open water I can take it, or leave it.

I believe a 14-15 inch perch would be a real braggin sized fish.

I got into a mess of Perch with a buddy last winter and some of the perch ran pretty big! Note the boot mark on top, it is a size 13" ( my boot)!

They were all alive during photo shot!

9AiXG0PMAO5rVO0bfGvxH+plOhBAzANW0300.jpg

I wish I had a better shot of fish!

My trophy size is 2lbs or 15inches. I currently have a stringer being mounted with 5 perch in a glass case that hangs on a gold stringer and the smallest being 14.75 2.2lbs and the biggest being 15.5 weighing in a 2.6.

CopyofIm000435.jpg

I am lucky to live by a lake that has a bunch of 2bls in it but you need to find them. It is a pretty good size lake 2 miles wide by 18 miles long. Here is a photo of a place I pretty much live at during the winter months, cuz I am fishing the lake so much. This is just an great mount.

Largemount.jpg

Well I am 32 and I have always had good luck on this lake, once again it is NOT a pot hole lake the lake is pretty big. I know alot of people that fish that lake and get skunked ALL THE TIME, you need to put in your time to find the active wiggler beds, they change from year to year. I am not by any means try to hide the name of the lake also it is Called Lake Gogebic which is in Gogebic County about 35 miles from Hurley Wisconsin. Ice Fishing pressure in the UP of Michigan is nothing like Minn. On a busy day there will be 30-40 shacks on a normal day there will be under 10. It is a decent walleye lake also and I target them until about Feb, then it's all perch for me for the rest of the season. Most people I know who fish these perch will let anything from 10-14 inches go because we have to preserve this fishery. Dont get me wrong when I want a Perch Fry I will keep enough for my family that are under 10 inches. I am not the kind of guy who loads my freezer with fish because I can, to me once they have been frozen there are not "FRESH" anymore.

that is an awesome display right there!!! I see that they have a smallie in attack mode but add a few 12lbs walleye's in the middle and it would be hard to beat....Thanks for showing that!!

a 12lb walleye on a inland lake in the Up of Mich? I think I have heard of 1 in my 20 years of fishing. I guess that is why I take at least 5 trips per year to visit the great state Of Minnesota... Not 12lbs yet but quite a few over the past 5 years in the 9-10lb range...

Don't worry, those 12#'s are out there, especially in MN. I have 2 over 12# and 7 between 10# and 12#. Seriously, I have had the most luck with the big girls in June. Right after they spawn they are very hungry. We have caught them from 29" full of eggs to 33 1/2" that just spawned. We had one that would have easily made it to 35", but my dad knocked it off the line with a nervous net job. Luckly this was my mom's fish and not mine. There is one lake that is exceptional up in the boundary waters that always puts out huge fish, 6 of mine are from that lake. I have heard Ice fishing is also a great way to get the big girls up there too, but I have never tried it myself.

LoL, trophy perch? Only trophy perch is the one in the belly of a trophy walleye/muskie/pike. Sorry perch are just bait stealing fools and food for trophy fish. Do have to say that the pict of the guy holding the two perch, those perch are fat. smile.gif

Those bellies look like mine grin.gif I would say 14" goes on the wall for me. I have caught a couple that went 13.5" on Mille Lacs over the years but not the elusive 14". Last year my partner fishing about 15 feet away pulled up a 14.5". All I could do was say nice fish and keep on fishing.

I am the same. I cannot break 14". I know that the sloughs that I fish in ND have them in but 13.5" is the best I can do. I do think it is funny when I talk to some of the other guys out there that say they got a whole bucket of 15", 2# perch. I look in the bucket and there isn't one over 12" in it.

I know what you are saying bassman. My "neighbor" on Ottertail kept telling me he was catching 3 or four keeper walleyes every time out. I thought I was doing something wrong until I saw what a keeper was to him. He was keep walleyes as small as 10 inches. RIDICULOUS!!!!!!

I started perch fishing 3 years ago and the first one I caught was 15 inches, not knowing what I had, I ate it. Needless to say I wish I could have it back because if I can get one 14 or better now it will be hanging up. I would really like 2 of them because perch mounts with 2 or more look great