• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Open water reports - Fall 2007

Was out on the spot at around 7:15 after a drive with my honey to check the leaves . . . Nada for an entire hour . . .so since I had company, we went to a local place and had a few to set the mood for some moonlight gardening! LOL Mike and Larry pulled in a limit but the boys went blank. Larry was actually on the spot I like to thrown from but I did not want to crowd him (yes I can be a nice guy sometimes). Call me Timmie . . .I can get up. But not Friday night late as I will be up early and going to the tree stand.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry John but every now and then your gonna get a hitch in your giddy up, you were do. grin.gif Good luck tonight... Looking at the weather for the weekend it looks like tonight maybe the only decent night to fish this weekend, rain, rain and rain... Maybe now's the time to start poking through the ice fishing gear...

Quote:

Sorry John but every now and then your gonna get a hitch in your giddy up, you were do.
grin.gif
Good luck tonight... Looking at the weather for the weekend it looks like tonight maybe the only decent night to fish this weekend, rain, rain and rain... Maybe now's the time to start poking through the ice fishing gear...

Well you and I know ONE lake for sure that I would have caught at least a couple walleyes trolling after dark last night but it would have been a pretty long round trip for a weeknight wink.gif I'll save that for a Saturday evening trip later in November when bow season is over!! The colder temps early next week should bring the water temp down enough to kill off some weeds and get things going a little more for the "night bite"!!! I just can't believe that the (Contact Us Please) surface temps are still almost mid 60's for this time of year but it's been the warmest October on record so far around here crazy.gif

Nice job on the eyes guys!

Dad and I made the treck again up the Salmon River and had another great day. Some salmon around but the chrome was shinning bright. We both landed two and tangled with 7-8 each, plus a bunch of kings and cohos. If there is something more fun than a fresh steelie on the fly rod, I havent experienced it yet...

Heres a pict of the "gorillas in the mist", Tank is the 4th one up. Actually not many guys around at all today

dsc00615ry9.jpg

Like hooking a lightning bolt...

dsc00618me8.jpg

Dime bright freshie...

dsc00625mp5.jpg

Way to go Jay and Tank! Todd and I went back out on the Big "O" and we had to work a bit to catch em tonight but we found 7 eyes mixed in with some more smallies all on grubs. Nipsy, Todd's buddy was out in the boat with Jerry? I think that was his name.. anyway he caught this monster wall hanging 38" northern that Nipsy is holding up they also picked up some eyes but not as many as we did wink.gif

1000746qn5.jpg

Here's Jerry's big toothy...

1000747mx4.jpg

Hey Tim, Sounds like you and Mr. Todd did pretty good on your end. While we were trolling Robb says "Let's call Timmy" grin.gif We ended up with two "stoagies" under that big ole "Hunters Moon" that was out last night. One super stocky 24"er that was a very large male and we closed it out at 8:15 with a 17"er. I'll be having those fish for dinner tonight and tomorrow night grin.gif They don't seem to really get going there until the water temps get down under 50 degrees so I'm hoping by Thanksgiving that the bite should really pick up. Surface temp was 61 last night.

John - There not really going that great here yet either. Todd and I just got finished with the night shift and we had to work to catch 7 - 8 good ones, all wading. Fish weren't stacked and minnows were being chased maybe a couple of dozen times but very sporadic. We fished around 3 different areas and Todd's still out on area 4, just talked to him and he just missed one on a grub so hopefully he's running into a few that want breakfast. We had to empty the bag tonight on em, long casts, x-raps and Challenger, tried T-sticks, Shad raps and even a few others just to make the night interesting. Here's some of the fish we released tonight..

Challenger strikes again...

1000748vc0.jpg

This one coudn't leave the junior minnow a lone either wink.gif

1000750mn7.jpg

Todd scores on a long cast...

1000751nd9.jpg

Another on a smaller longcast minnow.

1000753jn6.jpg

Todd scores a dandy on a small clown x-rap that got the best of his back treble. I had two more in the box and one on my rod..

1000756qp4.jpg

Todd and I wen't for a morning jaunt to the lake for some shore casting. Last night Todd caught 11 eyes in a hour and half and we were hoping they would be there in the morning too. We did catcha couple but the debris in the water from the howling winds last night and this morning made it tough to get your bait in clean. We missed more than we caught. Jay I caught the bottom walleye on 4 lb. crystal and the wally marshall wink.gif

1000757zv0.jpg

Firecracker..

1000758tn9.jpg

Steve,The leaves are about half gone and after this cold spell they will be all gone smile.gif.I hate this time of the fall hard to fish some spots weeds, leaves all sorts of riffraff in the water.The fish are getting fatter not allot of slammers though the water is high again as long as it stays at this level its all GOOD.Going to try this afternoon during the daylight hrs and maybe hook up withsome more Eyes.Talk to ya later Bro grin.gif

Another dead night last night!!! Timmie and Todd came silently wading at my 6 but I caught them. They then waded out and came back in about 30 minutes . . .nothing. They then slinked off into the dark to check "other places." All I know is that Tim is not in his office today so who knows what dank, dark, secret, cave they may have crawled off to.

Frank and Steve- I can tell you this, I didn't catch one walleye last night confused.gif and Todd caught 1 in the canal. Ran into Mansfield last night on the canal and he had two keepers and the jig guys worked an caught there limits early, seems it was an early bite last night oh well I did sell 5 challengers to Todd's friend Dave. cool.gif

Frank - We only caught one eye in the boat and that was trolling in the canal and he hit the virgin Frenzy you gave Todd last night. (for insurance guy it was 1.6 mph in about 12' of water around 10:30 a.m.) Other than a few smallies and 1 boated crappie it was a very slow day today frown.gif Should n't complain we have had more than many good days on the lake this season... Here's the pics from my sick day smile.gif

Had to go slow today and hair seemed to be the only thing they would hit early..

1000759gr2.jpg

Todd picked this pig up trolling a countdown...

1000760ak8.jpg

The lone eye on Franky's Frenzy. Thanks Franky!

1000762by6.jpg

I wish we found this slabs brothers and sisters. Instead we donated a 1/2 dozen jigs to redecorate his living room grin.gif

1000763rn3.jpg

As always we had a great time in the boat and even got a glimpse of a mink working around the water's edge, good time... Thanks Todd...

John, I fished Quinte through the Ice about 6yrs ago caught a 11 lb eye @31 inches wink.gif.I heard trolling in the boat is fun for the eyes, back in feburary a friend of mine caught a 13 lb eye through the ice he also fishes it in a boat.Hay bay,Deseranto area.Hang on those fish are THICK wink.gif Good luck.Can't wait to see some HOG eye pics cool.gif.

Quote:

John, I fished Quinte through the Ice about 6yrs ago caught a 11 lb eye @31 inches
wink.gif
.I heard trolling in the boat is fun for the eyes, back in feburary a friend of mine caught a 13 lb eye through the ice he also fishes it in a boat.Hay bay,Deseranto area.Hang on those fish are THICK
wink.gif
Good luck.Can't wait to see some HOG eye pics
cool.gif

I'm pretty pumped Todd. I'm really looking forward to doing some trolling at night there and try to map out the prospective trolling areas on my Lowrance by day and work em after dark. I'll have one day and two nights to fish it so I'm hoping we connect with at least one or two heavyweights and the potential for multiple very large fish is certainly there tongue.gif

Well guys I took a ride to the water tonight fished for about an hour and a half.I ended up catching 4 eyes 17 to 20inches all released the water level has gone down again.That seems to play a roll in these fish feeding habits in certian spots.

Steve, Im not going to be able to make it to your marine ball alot of stuff happening around here with my father and work confused.gif don't know when my parents are going to florida all depends on how my fathers test go confused.gif I will try to keep a good spot on the water for you when you come up talk to ya later bud.

Toddling . . . I got to the water around 7:15 . . . the traditional witching hour, but no go. Water is definitely down again and lots of salad to be had. Had one on and it dove for the weeds and got off after a little tug o war. Did not see anyone land anything. Went to Schneibs around 8:30 and watched the crowd come and go before deciding if I don't throw I won't know. Not much enthusiasm as I could not place my lure where I liked so basically just observed. Jig guys caught a few but no one else. Timmie, even lost my spot across the way to some foreign speaking guys . . . so you know the fish have been there. Went to the canal around 9:15 and lots of baitfish but no takers . . .did throw up to the shallows and thumped a soft spot and the line took off like it was at the races; drag screaming. I put a little pressure with my hand to slow the line and shortly after the lure pulled lose . . . I figure I surprised a carp across the back. It was fun for a while and kept Wayne and me there for another 5 mintues!! LOL Tricker treaters tonight so probably no fishing for me, unless the cat will hand out candy.

Did the pumpkin carving with Amanda last night and I will be passing out candy this evening. Tuzzy had a few minutes to kill at the lock before dinner and since he got that brand new DT-7 Flat Pearl from me earlier in the day he thought he'd give her a few casts off the concrete wall and check out the vibration and whammo a nice 18.5" walleye, he had a heck of a time landing her with the water being down and not a long enough net, he had to walk it around to get her in. Another crank devirginized. Way to go Tuzzy...

Going down to the Big O tonight to try my luck on the waldos AGAIN wink.gif.Big wind usually means fish, Im taking the camera so hopefully I will have some pics for you guys tommorow I get out of work at 9 AM and going to fish hard all weekend grin.gif.Next week COLD weather coming and I hope it stays it would be nice to be Ice fishing by Christmas confused.gifIm not going to hold my breath though its a good thought.

Alright you lurkers I just got the hot report from Todd and he slammed 14 nice walleyes on the 5" K Grub black and silver. He started with a 3" twister and was getting some fish and a couple of short eyes and then he went to the BFishN and the eyes got bigger and bigger. The vicious strikes of the ones he was hammering on the 5" were just sick. Not bad for an hour fishing in the canal... Good work Todd!

That's a sweet score Todd wink.gif I was in a tree looking for deer tonight and only saw some more squirrels grin.gif I'm looking to make an Oneida trip with my brother in late November along with my Quinte trip when bow season closes and do some night trolling! I've got a feeling it will be another extended fall with some warm weather through December again and lots of great walleye fishing ahead.