• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

quick strike rigs

Hey, since most of my knowledge of icefishing has been the "...handed down from generation to generation" type, I have a question on these "quick-strike" rig-ups for tip-up. I was reading earlier today on the forum about horizontal vs vertical baiting and it has only made me wonder more.

I've talked to several people personally about this and I haven't received much info on it. I fish in PA so maybe it is just a difference in geographical region but I find that hard to believe.

What I understand so far is to attach your baitfish with two separate hooks. One Terminal and one adjustable end. Then it is all a matter of how you want the bait to be presented? Is that right? I've also read about a hooking method that, I think, is hooked near the gill plate. How does that work?

Could anyone help me out on this and explain why the particular hook set up? Thanks.

McFly

Hey McFly,
There's a topic from a few weeks ago called "quick-strike rigs" and tip-ups that talks at length about quick-strike rigs.(It's very long, but very helpful, and includes pictures.)
At any rate, quick-strike rigs involve two hooks ... the reasoning being that you don't have to wait for the fish and guess how far it has taken the bait. You simply set the hook when you feel the fish. This is also key for conservation, as if used correctly, you can virtually eliminate gut-hooked fish.
At least that's what I'm told. I'm giving them a try for the first time this winter.
Also, be sure to check your state laws regarding them ... each state may require different mandates to your rig.

Happy Fishin!