• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lack of oxygen in shanty

Hello all, I'm a rookie ice fisherman who lives in Wisconsin. I've got a stupid question to ask yall. I've got me a fishtrap scout and was wondering how safe it'll be to run a lil paulin 3000 btu sunflower heater in it. The papers that came with the fishtrap say DON'T use an open flame heater in it. I know that this isn't the most air-tight unit out there and was just wondering if I were to keep the vents open if there would be enough airflow in there? My old lady would be pretty chapped if I went and get myself suffocated smile.gif Anywho, that's all for now, thanks for any help yall can give. Robert

i have a fish trap guide and use a sunflower heater, i'll keep my vents only half open just so i can see my tip ups and don't have any troubles.. the wind usually pumps enough fresh air in through the bottom of the trap... u definitely shouldn't have any problems if you have your vents open, plenty of air

I have a fish trap II, and I use the same kind of heater for 5 years now. I've never had a problem with it. I keep my vents open whenever the heaters going.
Someone once told me that if you feel like your going to blackout open up the trap and walk around for awhile.

The o2 sensor on the heater is probably set to turn it off when oxygen isnt sufficient for the heater ... not your body.

For newcommers or old pro's .. be careful using heaters in any house. I ran into problems last year when I changed portables (different wall material). I found myself getting moderately affixiated several times when the heater was eating up all the oxygen. I never had a problem until last year... nothing like walking around in the cold gasping for air feeling dizzy.

If your lighter wont light your cigarette you should be thinkin about getting some air. They are dangeous. I have been using a sunflower heater in my otter resort house for a few years with no problems tho. Just make sure you have a vent open and fresh air circulating. If you get a headache you need more air. Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie