• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"Different" panfish bait!

Finlander

Got this from another forum:
Try This for Winter Panfish

Just thought I would let you know a bait that I've used for years. When fishing for perch or bluegill try using a piece of bacon. I know it sounds different but it really works. Instead of using waxworms or wigglers just cut a small piece of bacon fat and use it instead. The bacon is much tougher and harder for the fish to steal it off the hook and the grease from the fat tends to attract the fish. One piece of bacon can supply a couple of fisherman with bait all day. Try it and let me know how it works.

Good Luck,
Monte

------------------
F-STOP

When I was a kid my grandmother gave me bacon for bait. Neither of us knew anything about fishing. I steady caught 'gills, bullheads and crappies from shore at the lake she lived on. Kept me outta her hair.

I'll have to give the bacon a try. I tried little pieces of clam last year, tring to get stubborn redear to bite. It didn't help withthe redear, but the gills and crappie liked it.

Thanks Finlander, this brings back some great memories. When I was a kid back in the 70's we always used bacon for bait. We'd take a couple strips down to Minnehaha Creek & catch suckers, bluegills, crappies, etc. I also tried a lot of different lunch meats back then. Whatever I could sneak out of the fridge I guess. I went back to my roots last year & started fishing the creek again for flathead cat bait. It's been an excellent source for chubs & suckers & the bacon still works. Great tip, I'll have to try it on the ice. Vern