• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I know, but i have to ask, zercom vs vex

slick2526

Ok, since i have seen the zercom value packs for pretty cheap now its making me think twice about buying one over a vexilar. Is there any reason you guys suggest I shouldnt? I was just going to get a fl8SLT value pack.

i've heard people say that they tend to break in cold weather like knobs breaking right off.. if i remember right they stopped making them now too and it will be hard to get it sent in for repair?? i'm trying to remember things from last ice season, so i could be wrong on them stopping production on the colorpoints? i've also heard colorpoints and vex's don't mix very well in the same house, one sends clutter all over the others screen.. someone correct me if i'm wrong on something here, it's been too long since last ice season! smile.gif
i have an fl-8 and highly reccomend it..

[This message has been edited by rap (edited 11-20-2002).]

1 major difference, interference problems, you won't be able to fish near a buddy with a depth finder and for that matter most places you go someone has some kind of unit and your screen will light up like christmas and spin around the wheel, no good, buy the vex, I just popped and bought a f-18 today. The fl-8slt unit is very good and has the interference problem handled

It's a matter of preference. I have a colorpoint and I use it next to my buddies with Vexilars, no problems. They just use the interference eliminator on the Vex and we're in business. I've switched sonars with my buddies and they same pretty much the same thing. They prefer the color difference in the flasher on the Vex, I think Vex is Red, Orange and Green. Colorpoint is Red, Orange, Yellow. To each their own, the important thing is getting some "safe" ice so we can get out fishing.

I have a Zercom and have no complaints. Like you, money was an issue and I was able to get the Zercom a bit cheaper. The performance is supurb and none of my 'knobs have fallen off'! (Granted, it never really gets that cold here in Utah) I haven't experienced any interference problems, mainly because I'm the only one in the area that I know of that uses one (at least til they saw mine, now a couple of my friends got Vex's for this year). Either one you get, you will wonder how you ever fished without it!

shefland Hit it on the head IMO. Interference is the ONLY reason I bought a Vex. If your fishin buddy or your neighbor on the ice has a Vex, chances are your your non-Vex sounder is going to have interferance. When I have the room I start with my Interphase Sportsman 20/20 Video sounder and then switch to my Vex when things get crowded around the shack.

I bought the Colorpoint the second they came out. Had bad luck with it. They were recalled due to their semiconductors in the ducer. Got a new transducer and was able to get my hands on a Vex float for it. I didn't care for the leveling arm. No complaints at all. Very accurate and dependable. I have had it for 4-5 years now. I fish every weekend when there is ice and never had any knobs fall off. However, I am going to by an FL-18 this year. This way I have a backup flasher. Thats why we work right...to buy toys!

Butch

The Zercom units have more power and are true sounders, they are not run by a motor but by an actual pulse sonar. I prefer the clear water classics and the LCF 40 units as they show in shades of black and grey. 0.02

------------------
... Just stirrin the pot...

Well it's about time I saw some colorpoint users coming out of the woodwork. I own both an FL8SLT, Colorpoint and now a new Marcum LX-3, if you guys want more info on the new hopped up colorpoint. I have provided some descriptive info from the manual on some of it's features, in the ice fishing forum under fl8 slt question. I can't wait to test this new unit!