• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bought the Vex 18-Got "the look" for free!

Gissert

Welcome to the world of the all seeing eye. Life on the ice as you knew it has changed forever.

The Vexilar home site has lots of tips, good place to snoop.

Understanding how to read the the Vex is easy. Learn what lures and rigs are "Flasher Friendly" and like they said set the gain to as low as you need and leave it there, unless you change rigs or depths.

You should have a fun winter now, go get-um!

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]
http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 11-22-2002).]

Mike,I use the fl8 and love it.I know your gonna love the 18.Gissert is right once you watch the fish react to your lure you'll be tee hee-tee heeing all day No talk these are great contraptions for sure. Let me know how you do the first time out.Its pretty easy to learn how to use it. ><sUMo>------><> Jig Stick

Mike: You will enjoy your time on the water much more with that Vexilar. I would sooner leave the house without my heater, than the Vexilar. I just recieved my 18, have used the 8 for years, and really looking forward to it. Hope you get hard water again soon. Enjoy the season. Bill Turck MN

Mike,
You don't have to wait until ice up to try your new vex. I use them on docks whenever there is an opportunity to do so. Frequently there are many fish in the shade of the dock. Dangle the transducer over the side in a shady corner and use your ice rig to see whats down there. Some of my biggest crappie have come from the gap between a pontoon boat and the dock. I have also caught large fish by fishing in the gaps between the boards on the dock. Just turn the fish sideways and lift it through the cracks. Many docks get hammered and the fish are conditioned and real tough to catch. Try micro baits in the shade or under the dock and you'll be surprised. And naturally you can vertically jig from a boat however you'll probably need a heavier bait to compensate for boat sway.

mjhowe,
Oh how I wish I could be there to measure you heart rate the first time you start raising your jig and you watch a fish on the screen tear up after it and BLAMO...FISH ON!

Had a patient come in today that is heading out to visit relatives in your neck of the woods...too bad I don't have any time off I would have hitched a ride and had you show me how to fish Montana style!

[This message has been edited by chiro (edited 11-22-2002).]

My "neck" of the woods!

What is that, some kind of chiropractic humor!!??!!

Anytime, Chiro, but lately fishing Montana style is open water, cold and wet!

------------------
Mike
Kalispell, MT
<<><<

Well I went and did it, after a year of hearing how everybody thinks the Vexilar is the most important piece of equipment for ice fishing, I plunked down for the cabelas soft pack. I sure hope it lives up to the hype! I have never fished with a flasher before, have only used my Fish Easy portable LCD. I know that helped me catch fish just because I was more aware of depth, fish moving thru etc but a "real time" unit sure seems like the way to go.

I know there has been tons of discussion on this topic before but if any one has any tips for a first time user I would appreciate them.
Now if it would just get cold again so I can get back out on the ice!!
I am starting to think I only dreamed about my day on the ice on the 6th!! The event at Bluewater sounds like it will be fun, wish I was in Minnesota!!

------------------
Mike
Kalispell, MT
<<><<

I bet I know exactly what you're doin right now. You're sitting down watching the video that comes with it, right? Don't worry everybody does it, but no body talks about it wink.gif The best way to learn is to go out and use it. You'll figure it out quick.

Congrats Mike: You've got the best unit out there! My advice: don't use any more power than is needed. Once you see your bait, fine tune it from there. If you can see your bait, you more than likely won't have any problem seeing bottom, fish, etc. Also, use the depth setting that best matches up to the depth your in. No need for using the 80' scale if your only in 30'.

Good luck.

------------------
Jaw Breaker Guide Service
Phone: 218 778-0087
[email protected]
http://fishtec.com/guide.htm