• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Trout Fishing

bass-o-matic

Bass-O, I am also very interested in the BWCA country for Lake Trout.
Last year I missed out, but the previous 3 seasons before that I have been up to a few lake trout lakes and had a blast. I'm still waiting to hook into one of the big brutes I see the Linders pull out of their holes when they are laker fishing!
The more information, the better. Mike Berg up at Seagull Lake Outfitters at the end of the Gunflint is a great guy. He guides out on Sag. and those area lakes...He is very knowledgeable. I had a chance to stay at his lodge one winter and though I wish we would have went with his services, he did help us out on pointers for locations, etc.
Again, I'm hoping this one gets going because for those that have never experienced the rush, Lake Trout fishing is a blast through the ice. TIP UP!

FYI, an different option is to snowmobile into an area like Lac LaCroix (good laker water) which is open to motor traffic on the Canadian side, then walk in to the BWCA side ... or you could simply fish the Canadian side if you know the spots and have a Canadian license. We did the trip last year and had a blast - planning another trip this year. You get the BWCA experience but can get in and out for an easy day trip without need for outfitters. A good place to base out of is Crane Lake. The trick is knowing the trails back into LaCroix ... I still need a "guide" to get back into LaCroix but plan to carry a GPS to mark the trail this year. Most good lake maps show the portages.

Also, there have been a few articles in BWCA Journal about the dogsled trips into BWCA for trout fishing. Might check those for some leads.

I've only fished Crow in open water, but I hear from guys who fish it that it's pretty popular in winter. Not lots of size, but good numbers. It's on my winter list. Well, so are 50 other places I'll probably never get to, but it doesn't hurt to dream.

Also, an American fishing Canada can get a conservation license, which allows fewer fish kept, but is way cheap. Do a search for Ontario and Manitoba government sites for prices, but last I heard, a season conservation license was something like $15 American. CHEEEEP!

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-20-2002).]