• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone Else Fish the Narrows?

Thanks Chiro and Exudedude,

I'm taking notes as I read your posts.

Chiro,
I fish are particular lake that has no current in the neck and runs about 120 yards long with steep breaks. Why it freezes first I'm still uncertain but its always the first to freeze every year. Inlet channels like you said are another good first ice option, but can be unsafe. When safe, they will produce numbers of fish. How deep are the narrows in the lakes that you plan on fishing? Let me know how you do.

Exudedude,
Good point on the migration routes. I'll be sending you an e-mail soon.

Good Fishin, Matt.

Matt,
Check out Hansen lake in Aitkin Co. just east of Aitkin off of highway 47 on the DNR site and let me know what you think about the narrows. Lots of LITTLE crappies this summer but, I have never ice fished it! I am going to give it a try at ice up and I'll let you know how I do, I keep a pretty acurate fishing journal so it shouldn't be a problem.

MJ5, My fault... I thought I had left it on my profile...

[email protected]

Rick-I sent them to you.. use how you would like.. Thank you!

MY THEORY as to why narrow areas freeze first- many narrow areas will have shallow water in them, shallow waters will freeze or get cold first, and most narrow areas are protected by wind, allowing them to freeze up before the main body of water.

MJ5 narrows are good area to fish year around for many species of fish. I've had great luck with jumbo perch, gills and crappies in these areas.
I think that one of the main reasons that these fish leave these area as the year goes on is because of snowmobile/auto traffic and lack of oxy.

As the ice thickens more and more people drive out to or thru these areas. This in turn causes fish to leave the area. I've found that they tend to set up on a near by flat, hole or weedbed.

If the snowmobile/autos don't drive them out, then the lack of oxy. will. As the year goes on the weeds die and oxy. levels drop to levels that force the fish out of the shallows. Fish will still use these area if there is a little bit of current, but like Chiro said before these area are very dangerous all winter. I usally set up about 25 yards from the neck down and do quite well.

I hope your not over looking muskies or northerns when fishing these areas. Just a couple of years ago my uncle caught a northern just over 25 lbs in a neck down area.

Best of luck with your book.

------------------
Study to be quite

When I hit the ice during first ice I like to concentrate on the lakes that have a narrow inbetween two portions of water. For example, lakes shaped like an hour glass. Narrow neck inbetween lakes. I've had my greatest success on such lakes fishing those areas. Seems as if these areas don't only freeze first but also hold fish. In the lakes that I fish, these particular necks hold deeper water (holes). Almost as if these narrows are highways for early ice fish.

I've used these areas for crappies and walleyes. Anyone else target these areas when available? What other species have you found roaming these spots? And what were your results?

I'm trying to get info on a book I would eventually like to write and any feedback would be greatly appreciated. The book is going to be on Crappie Location and Presentation During the Ice Season. Thanks.

Good Fishin, Matt.

Matt,
I have never fished narrows but, have fish canals quite a bit at first ice and had great success usually in 4' or less so I am going to have to try your narrows idea. I can think of two lakes in particular that would be perfect. I have to disagree with the freezing up first part though. In my experiance the slight current in most narrows makes many thin spots and unsure ice early in the year. Be safe and good luck on the book...you have a customer waiting!

[This message has been edited by chiro (edited 11-11-2002).]

I will agree with your statement that neck down areas or narrow areas are great early ice situations. I think its a natural migration at early ice for the fish to use these areas to get from shallow to deep water. Or just to migrate from one part of the lake to another in search of food. Setting yourself up in these transition areas can only be good for you and up your odds in finding the fish.

I would love to help your research for a book, use my profile button to get my e-mail address and I will let you look at a few articles I have written for some different online webpages.

Best of luck with the book!

Exudedude

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Exudedude,
You might want to have your articles published here as well?

Use the "Contact Us" link below if interested.

I fished the channel between S. Lindstrom and Chisago Nov. 8 eve. Looked for fish. Found some in 18ft S. Lindstrom side area the size of a house. Fished it for 45 min. with a lindy/fathead and tiny jig/smallest fat we could find. Fish were there but would not bite. Then we trolled(reeaal sllooww) the rest of the channel and did not mark anything. This area becomes a city on 2" ice so we figured fish must be moving in now. We've tried this the last two years as a final hurrah in the boat and nothin.(though we're known for shuttin down a good bite anywhere). Anyone else know about this channel bite?
rascalP

rascalP-

I dont think the channel in chisago will be as good this winter.. I too ws out there the weekend before you were, I was after bass but I marked the channel to see if anything was going, I too marked some fish, or so I thought.. I dropped my aqua-vu down only to find suspended debis and brown weeds...

People will always fish it, but the weeds died back way to early this year... Chisago had a real nasty algae bloom this year. Worse than normal, it will be interesting to see how that effects the ice fishing this year!

I caught a 25 inch walleye near the channel between S. Lindstrom and Chisago last winter jigging with euro larvae for crappies. Only nice fish with a few smaller crappies. Didn't get to ice fish it during early ice, it was more towards mid season. I think I'm gonna give it a try during early ice this year. Last year I saw a lot of ice houses staked out over that area so I didn't fish it again.

rascalP,
Did you say that there was 2 inches of ice already on the channel? If thats the case then it won't be long till walkabale ice. Maybe you're interested in heading out there next week if we get some more cold temps this week and its adds a couple couple inches? Let me know how the conditions are.

Good Fishin, Matt.

Thanks Exudedude, I was hoping there was 2 inches. With the weather we are supposed to see this week maybe we'll see some ice. Once there is fishable ice you, rascalP, and I should hit the channel for some crappies. With three guys we shouldn't have a problem finding the right technique in a short time.

Good Fishin, Matt.

MJ5
Sorry,no. I was talking about past years. Seems like this is where everyone starts ice fishin. Probably due more to the easy acess than the actual bite. But I had heard that this was a good early walleye spot. I just wish I could do as much fishin as I do hearin.
I drove by all the lakes on 35 & 8 today:
Except for a couple open spots Clear and Comfort iced over, Green - wide open except south bay. Chisago/South Lindstrom open except Chisago south bay was iced in the morn. S. & N. Center was mixed open and closed. It's real close now. We'll see if the warm temps this coming week open everything up again.
rascalP