• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking to buy a GPS.

Bodyman

Question

I'm going to buy a GPS and am wondering which way to go. The price ranges I've seen go from $99 up. I'm going to be using it mainly for fishing big water. Locating points already on the map as structure. I see some of them seem very basic for a cheaper price. Are they as accurate as the more expensive models? Any info will be appreciated.

11 answers to this question

Bodyman,

Decisions, decisions... I've owned a Magellan, Garmin, and Lowrance- all make pretty good products. They are all equally accurate- you will be told differently than this, but it is not true. They just different formulas to estimate their accuracy.
Lowrance is coming out with a new product called the I-Finder. I'm holding out until this unit is available in stores. However, Lowrance was just bought out by Cobra Electronics so I don't know what will come of that buy-out. The I-Finder looks like it'll be nice- mapping and lots of nice features in a relatively small package.
I liked my Garmin, but mine was mostly a car unit and not made for the outdoors. Both Garmin and Lowrance have excellent support. The same can not be said of Magellan- I've heard many complaints about their support.
If all you want is the ability to plot weigh points on a lake and don't care about mapping I'd go with the old stand-by- Garmin 12. It's cheap and will probably hold enough info for you. Think about how many weight points you may end up with though, because the Garmin 12 is limitted (I can't remember how many it holds.)
Good luck,
Scoot

I to am planning on getting the iFinder for ice fishing and hunting. If you are planning on putting it on your boat I would go with the Global Map 100 since it is waterproof and the iFinder is only water resistant.

The best your money can buy is the Garmin XL. Be sure that when you are purchasing a unit that it isn't the dinosaurs that use only triangulation for pinpointing. The Garmin 12 XL uses more Satelites(meaning it is more powerful) It is much quicker than the Magellan. For open water use on big water, you will not need the top end. You shouldn't run into a whole lot of interference when out on a large body of water. The Garmin is completely MORE user friendly!!!! You don't have to carry a catalog with you whe you use them!!!

Doc,

Are you sure about the waterproof statement with the Global Map 100? I didn't think the rating on it was waterproof (I was thinking it was rated at a 3 or a 4... which is not waterproof)- I'm not positive, but I think it's only water resistant.
I know I've been given false info about waterproof ratings for different units from salesman.
Scoot

Thanks for the info everyone. I checked out the link page you posted minneman. It had alot of info to look at. Going with the Garmin 12XL. It seems to have what I need and easy to use. I hope lol. I'll find out this weekend at Mille Lacs. I'll be the guy that looks like he knows what he's doing. :-)

After going down to purchase a Garmin 12XL, I came home with a etrex instead. I love the size of the thing. Fits nicely in my inside shirt pocket keeping the batteries warm when not in use. I used it this weekend up on Winnie and had no problem with it. The simple format made it easy to enter a way point from my map then find it. It also had had all of the options I wanted from a GPS including the ability to download updates for it's software from my pc. I would like to know more about the pc end of it. I'm not sure yet how much more can be done with that. Any others have the e-trex?? Any tips you can share??

My vote goes out to the Garmin GPS 12. I've had the unit for three years now and it has never failed me. I use it primarily for fishing lakes such as Mille Lacs, Leech, etc.

Here is an example of how I use my GPS on Mille Lacs: After unloading the boat, I fire up the motor, locator, GPS, etc. I then select my 'Waypoint' from the GPS. The GPS will then tell me which direction to go and how long it will take at the current speed.

Once I get the message "Approaching Destination", I turn my focus to the locator/depth finder and locate my structure.

Remember, a GPS will not get you exactly back on the same spot every time. It will get you in the general vicinity. That's why I use my locator/depth finder when I am close to my 'Waypoint'.

Doc,

I just heard some bad news for those of us who are patiently waiting for the iFinder- it won't be out until at least March. First they said Oct, then early Dec., then late Jan., now with the buyout by Cobra Electronics they are saying that it'll be at least March until they get them out. I'm getting disgusted. I'm even considering getting another unit in it's place.
Scoot