• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New ND State Record Musky

Here's an article on the ND State Record Musky from the Bismarck Tribune:

--------------------------------------------------

A Mandan man has landed the state muskie record.

Corey Bosch was fishing at New Johns Lake on July 3 when he pulled in a 46-pound, 8-ounce muskie late in the day. He spent much of July 4 looking for a scale big enough to weigh the monster.

He found a scale at Butcher Block Meats during the Fourth of July parade, Scott Gangl, fisheries management section leader for the North Dakota Game and Fish Department, said Wednesday.

"It was weighed on a commercial scale and verified by (district game warden) Jeff Violett that it was a muskie," said Gangl.

Whether the fish is a pure muskellunge or a hybrid tiger muskie - a cross between a muskie and a northern pike - will be determined though DNA, said Gangl, who took a DNA sample Wednesday afternoon.

"I saw the fish. It's a big one," Gangl said. Bosch could not immediately be reached for comment.

Gangl will send the sample to a laboratory early Monday. He expects to get the results in "a couple of weeks."

Regardless of which species it turns out to be, the fish will be a state record.

The biggest tiger muskie reported in the state weighs an even 40 pounds, and the state record muskie weighs 46 pounds even.

Bill Wald, of Washburn, also was fishing New Johns Lake when he caught the 46-pounder in 2003. The tiger muskie came from Gravel Lake in northcentral North Dakota. It was caught by Marvin Lee, of Rolette, in 1975.

NDGFD stocked both species in New Johns Lake.

Since some muscle tissue must be taken for the DNA sample, Gangl wanted to give Bosch time to consult with his taxidermist before extracting the sample from the fish.

"He needed to find out which side would be facing the wall," Gangle said.

By RICHARD HINTON Bismarck Tribune

And here are the pictures:

staterecordmuskie1wc6.jpg

staterecordmuskie2jp9.jpg

-----------------------------------------

What a monster!

marine_man

Not a surprise it came from New Johns I guess. I remember when the last one was caught from there too. I am sure it lost a bit of weight by the time he brought it all the way back to butcher block in bismarck. Nice catch though!