• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Updates

Rick

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No...same Rush. I haven't been out there, I work for a living, you lucky bastard!
I've been on some lakes north of the metro that had some "rubbery" ice, that was anywhere from 4" to 6", so I find it hard to believe that the ice is that thick still, especially without an insulating snow blanket. But, apparently the ice is holding up (on deeper lakes too). I've got to finish this "basement project" so I can get out again! Oh, just got a Mille Lacs Update from Lundeens "Weekend Outlook" (if anyone's interested):

Contrary to what the Twin Cities media would like us to believe, the ice conditions are NOT in some kind of crisis condition - ironically, the ice
thickness in several areas we checked over the past 2 days had actually improved 1 to11/2 inches since last weekend.
Yes, there are some pressure breaks - you get that with fluctuating temperatures.
No, there isn't standing water all over the lake - in fact, most of the surface ice is dry.
Yes, we still recommend travelling during daylight hours.
No, your resort probably won't pull out your 10x20 house - BUT... there are some scattered rental houses around AND some smaller permanent
houses AND lots of portables.
Overall, the "new" ice is still around 5-6 inches, "old" ice is 9-12.

The bite is still pretty scattered, with the most consistent reports coming from the areas around Sloppy Joes and Popes. Jiggin' Raps and
Humpbacks tipped with some bugs or a piece of a minnow have worked well. Be sure to run a set-line with a glow jig and a shiner too... some
of these fish are looking for the "easy" meal. There are bazillions of small perch (this year's hatch) showing up, with a few big ones mixed in.
While not many folks are boasting "limits" of keeper perch, there are quite a few people going home with a meal or two. Again, Humpbacks and
small Kastmasters are the ticket.

There is only a dusting of snow left on the lake.

OOOOH! HOW I WISH I WAS N MN.,IM FROM NY AND THE ICE AND WEATHER HERE IS NOT GOOD OVERALL,ITS WARM AND RAINING,THE ONLY THING GOOD IS ITS GOING TO MELT THE SNOW OFF THE ICE AND HOPEFULLY REFREEZE

Just got back from fishing in the Princeton area. The lake I was on actually made 1" of ice since last weekend! 8" of solid clear ice smile.gif I was really suprised by this with all of the warm afternoons this past week. What crust of snow that was around last weekend melted and refroze. Yet use caution out there as I overheard another guy talking about a heave that had open water about 1 mile from where I was fishing.

Was on Little Cormorant today (southwest of Detroit Lakes) and there was around 10" of good ice. (I'm guesstimating; I didn't measure it). Plenty for my ATV, though I was nervous when the Ford Ranger drove by. There didn't appear to be any melting today in the nice weather....

In west central mn we still have a good 8 inches in the bays and shore lines,but main lake has made only 4-5 okay walkable but becareful with the atv's.
Still a bunch of geese keeping some open water so know the lake if you travel after dark.Which that is when the walleyes have been biting.
With this weather a nice walk across the lake just isnt to bad !!!

I was on a south Metro lake this morning and found 8" of good ice.I don't think the warm spell hurt the ice at all. I was on the same lake one week ago and it was 6", so it actually gained two inches.

I just got back from Wayzata Bay and there was an additional inch of ice from last weekend. There is now about 4 1/2 inches to 5 inches of good ice. There was quite a few ice boats out all over the bay this afternoon. I fished from 4:30 to 6:30 and got 1 cigar eye. Quite a few came in to check, but no takers.
I purchased a FL18 this year, and am definettly glad I did. The ability to zoom in on the bottom 6 feet is a great feature and really does provide the advantage for seeing fish over the other flashers on the market.
I would appreciate any updates from any others that may have been out on Tonka.

Hey Pairofchoppers,
I grew up on Little Elk Lake. Have you been out there yet? I was out a week ago and got a few crappies at dark. I was at Birch on Dec. 7th. fishing the northerns. I heard they had a good bite going the day before but not much happened for me. Maybe I'll see you on the lake sometime. Were you up on gree lake?

Here is an actuall report on ice thickness. Was out on Clinker, near Rabbit in Crow Wing Co. Measured 10.5" ultra clear ice everywhere. Not brave enough to drive all the way out but had no problem parking on the lake near the landing. Iced a few crappies in 26-28 feet. Not big numbers but they were decent size, 11- 13".

Fish On Dudes

blkfrg

Buffalo and Pulaski had 6"-8" last week.
From the sounds of things "she kept-a-makin' ice too"...should have at least that this week. "Donchya tink?" As GrandPa Sven said, "Hey...checka da ice yerself, ya litta besturd..."

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Can you give us an update on how the ice is looking in your area?

Please let us know the area and ice condition/thickness please?

:::ALEXANDRIA::: Pressure ridge on Geneva opened up on Christmas Eve...snowmobile or 4wheeler went in...it's posted with thin ice signs now...most of the lake has 8-10 inches of good ice, and about an inch or two of drifted snow...worth noting, however...the ice hasn't gotten any thicker in two weeks...despite sub-freezing temps over the last 10 days...

Lake Andrew..4wheeler went through...Maple lake also had vehicles go through...

Small trucks driving on Miltona and Ida...still...use extreme caution...know where the cracks and ridges are before you risk a vehicle and/or a life....insurance doesn't cover recovery....it's a stupid tax...

Every casualty gives fishermen a bad name...be cautious...be sure...

stay safe...

happy angling...and Happy New Year!

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Have been on Buffalo lake this weekend twice and ice thickness is 10" to about 1/3 the way out on the main lake. Saw some people driving tonight with a car going probably 50 MPH-not smart because of ice wave. Walleyes have been biting in 17-19 feet, but were very negative tonight. They would not even touch a bobber rig,just come up and sniff it. Must be the front moving in. Happy fishing!!!

------------------

I was on Shields last night till about 7:30
The ice is vary spotty, 10-11 in some spots then 50 ft away there will be 6. It didn't feel like testing the new ATV to see if i could get it up on plane so i went back to thicker ice. Bite was slow with only 8-10 perch.
Lots of pie shaped cracks with water coming up from them when the sleds and wheelers would go flying in the the landing.
I couldn't get to the spot i'd like to fish, didn't feel like chancing it.
racer