• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Updates

Rick

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I scouted area lakes for duck hunting and found some larger lakes were completely ice covered. I'm guessing I have a better chance of ice fishing this weekend over duck hunting! Might have to haul the boat next to me to get to the fish, but at least I could get out!!

The next few nights are going to get into the single digits and high around 20. We could have some walkable ice in no time, but a warm-up in the forecast for early next week.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

[Posted by Woodman]
Lower Red Lake has frozen over!! I teach at Ponemah Elementary which is in between upper and lower red lake. My classroom is on the lake side so we look at the lake all day long wishing we were out there.
Woodman

I'll be out this weeknend. I went scouting this morning and found about 2 inches of good solid ice over a hole. Near Saint Cloud. So by sat. or sunday I'll get my first trip in. Wahooooo! smile.gif

ST:

What? Say it ain't so! Almost 3 inches of ice, and a guy like you ain't out on it?

Oh, forgot, getter not pull your leg too hard. You're that wrestler type of guy. grin.gif

God, I hope the weather isn't going to be as warm as the Duluth area forecast calls for all week. I wanna ice fish SOMEWHERE next weekend. Of course, with the lake affect, it's gotta be colder inland, right.

With your lake at nearly safe levels and Amnicon in NW Wis at nearly safe levels, there must be safe ice soon. wink.gif

Theres ice in Park Rapids! 3 to 5 inches of it. Fished on friday on 3 different lakes. Caught lots of pike and gills and even a 3 pound largemouth. The walleyes bit really light friday, but I heard they were on fire tonight.
In the cities I hear there is ice on Coon and there are people fishing in the channel. Only 2 1/2 inches kinda thin for my taste.
Say on the top side of the ice! smile.gif
North of Aitkin there is 3 inches on a couple of lakes. Big lakes are still not safe south of Hwy 34 and 2. Be safe and ice some fish!

[This message has been edited by fishfearme (edited 11-17-2002).]

Has anyone been out to check the ice conditions around the SW metro area lately? I only saw about .5-1" on the small duck ponds on Sat. Made for a short day hunting but Ice Fishing is my 1st love anyway. Since the Vikes beat the Packers today maybe all that extra cold from Hades freezing over will speed up the ice production up here too! wink.gif

A buddy and I went fishing near Fergus Falls on Sat. after a morning of duck hunting. Only open water is West Battle and Ottertail. We used my layout boat to scoot around the ice and it worked slick. We managed to try every depth and couldn't find any active fish, beside dinky perch. About 2-3" of ice and it held our weight very well, but always inside the boat at all times!

Nice to get out!

fishfearme,

I was up in the cities this past weekend and checked out Coon and didn't see that much ice but I didn't get out of the car, just drove into the access and left. I'm gonna have to hit the channel if there is 3 inches. Thanks for the info.

Good Fishin, Matt.

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 11-18-2002).]

Here's a report from the other end of the state....

There is a pool on a slow stream I've been watching, on Sat., there was maybe a 1/2" on it. Checked it again this morning, and there is now an inch, maybe a little thicker.

Haven't had the chance to check spots other than this pool, but I have to believe the small ponds/sloughs are in the same condition. Will try to check one some of the area lakes in the next few days/weekend.

Good luck and safe fishing to you guys already out there on the ice.

UG

Here's the latest observations from the Alexandria area:
Most of the small lakes locked up on friday night, shore to shore...lakes like mill, pocket, taylor, brophy, cowdry, darling, irene, adley, charley, louise, etc. LeHommeDieu has the most ice of the chain...(except for Darling)...wharf bay was entirely iced over....still a lot of open water in the middle, and the mild temps and wind of the last few days undoubtedly broke some of that up. Geneva and Victoria still sport open water...and still fishable by boat!

Fishing had been great on Mary, until Friday night!...My neighbor and his friend busted through some shore ice and fished the main point friday night...marking lots of fish, but no takers...calm and cool...and the literally saw the ice form!....iced up enough to make the trolling motor ineffective...they were able to break ice back to the landing with the big motor...

Reno has a bit of ice on the north bay, by the highway...wind was breaking it up a bit though.

Pelican lake by Ashby locked up late last week, and a few have braved out to the narrows...always a good early ice lake, don't make it too early!...be safe!

Will make the rounds again tomorrow to see if the mild daytime temps and wind have set back the ice much...night time it's still making ice!...

keeping you all posted:

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598