• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Updates

Rick

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

We will use this thread to report on lake ice formation and ice thickness updates.

Please post what you know about ice forming on lakes in your area.

Disclaimer-You must read
Please Note: No ice should ever be considered safe. The information provided by others here is not to be used for venturing on the ice, regardless of claims to the contrary. Use all due caution with respect to walking or traveling on lake ice. Breaking through the ice is always a possibility and you should have plans in place to prevent that from happening and to recover if such an event should happen to you.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just returned from a drive along the south shore of Lake of the Woods. Starting to get ice in sections 4-mile bay, Bostic bay is totally frozen over, Zippel is totally froze over, walked out on the east end about 20 feet or so with the spud bar and punched a hole thru about 3 to 4 inches of solid, clear ice. Pike fishing this weekend for me! Word is the wally's have been biting good this week on the lower end of the river too. If it stays cold and the wind don't blow too hard we might be walking out onto the mainlake very soon.

Won't be long now. Yippee!

Regards....Fisky

McGregor/Aitkin area this morninghas ice on the medium lakes around the shorelines and smaller lakes having more then that.

Looks like we will see a warm up, but only up to 36-40 for a couple days...Not the 60's everyone was raving about.

Have a safe weekend everyone.

PCG

HardH2O
If I go Pike fishing it'll either be on Bostic or Zippel bays, I'll be walking out with spudbar, lifejacket and icepicks as the ice is still quite iffy. Where I walked on yesterday seemed safe enough though, for me anyways.

The Walleye bite I mentioned is open water on the Rainy.

Fisky

I posted on Predictions before I saw this thread. Nothing of significance, anyway. Clearwater system is wearing some skim ice this morning in sheltered bays and backwater. Forecasts are for daily highs in the 40s, so it'll be some time before we get good ice here.

I'm not sure, I'll call Mark at the Warroad Amoco after a bit and see what he's got for you there. I'm still sitting on a few pounds of assorted frozen baitfish and I have a few dozen Golden and River Shiners as well as some big Redtails swimming in my garage baittank. Incase you did'nt know J's sporting goods {formerly Johnny's} in Warroad has closed it's doors.

Fisky

Rick -

Just a nitpick on your disclaimer (yes, I understand you had to post it for legal reasons). I just hate when people, including news anchor talking heads, repeat to us that ice should NEVER be considered safe. Maybe never ASSUMED safe. I think there are times when a person can CONSIDER 3 feet of ice safe.

Sorry for the rant.

[Note From Rick] You may consider it safe at 3 feet, but we really aren't talking about 3 feet of ice right now are we? Even at 3 feet YOU could consider it safe assuming you know where all the springs are, current is, honeycombed ice is, drain holes are, cracks under snow are located, thin spots, and air pockets are located smile.gif Not everyone does, hence the disclaimer. I agree the odds of trouble are extremely thin, but it's better to be forewarned than dunked in freezing water. It does happen, I've seen it happen on 3+ feet of ice. Now please, be safe and let's get back to ice reporting grin.gif

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 11-02-2002).]

I totally agree with Rick on this subject that ice is never safe! Up here towards the end of the season on a nearby lake a pickup fell through the ice. It didn’t go all the way in because it got hung up some way on the ice. The people got on top of the cab and were hollering and waving and a Year Round Lake Dweller happened to see them and called 911. Nobody was hurt or drowned but you never know! People had been fishing & driving there all winter with no mishaps. The ice was way over 2’ thick. From the public access to where they were at it is 90’ that you have to cross to get to the spot they were at. On the other side of the lake there are springs and unsafe ice all winter. I read articles about other mishaps on the ice quite often. Semis in the lake for a snowmobile race at Detroit lakes and other snowmobiles falling through on other various lakes. Underwater currents and other conditions and variables will make ice questionable at all times. Read this message at your own discretion and of all things be safe and have fun! Just my safe thinking .02 cents about this subject.
“FISH" grin.gif

------------------
http://www.icesaws.com/

Cubbies -- as you know, not much but liquid water in the Mpls ares. For your planning purpose, saw on the news the avg. ice on dates for Harriet/Calhoun is Nov 22/23.

Rick and others -- you guys know the score on variable ice thickness/strength. Guess what gets me is the unknowlegeable (news talking heads and others) repeating what they hear without the facts. The way they talk, no one should ever venture out on the ice. Thanks for listening.

Was pheasant hunting near Watertown SD last weekend and most of the lakes there had only a couple of small open spots left. I think they are open because of the number of mallards sitting in them! There is some fabulous duck hunting to be had over there right now!

Capt'n

A blonde wanted to go ice-fishing. She'd seen many books on the subject, and finally, after getting all the necessary "tools" together, she made for the nearest frozen lake. After positioning her comfy foot-stool, she started to make a circular cut in the ice. Suddenly ---from the sky--- a voice boomed, "THERE ARE NO FISH THERE!" Startled, the Blonde moved further down the ice, poured a Thermos of cappuccino, began to cut yet another hole. Again, from the heavens, the voice bellowed, "THERE ARE NO FISH THERE!" The Blonde, now quite worried, moved way down to the opposite end of the ice, sat up her stool, and tried again to cut her hole. The voice came once more: "THERE ARE NO FISH THERE!" She stopped, looked skyward, and said, "Who are you --- God?" The voice replied, "NO, I OWN THE ICE-RINK!"

Man,
Its hard to believe that a week ago I was rubbin it in that I was ice fishing in early November and as of today we haven't been below freezing since!!

Almost all the ice on my neighborhood lake is gone, the pain, the sorrow........

------------------
Mike
Kalispell, MT
<<><<