• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tips for underwater camera users...

Dan97

Howdy All...

I just thought I'd start a thread to share your tips for the uses of underwater cameras. I've never used one for ice fishing before, this will be my first season, so all this is going to be new to me.

So how do you use these things?

Dan

------------------
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Dan97 (edited 10-04-2002).]

Dan,

Isn't the best way to make anythign work better to go up-town and get the special of the night, that being the "meatloaf dinner".

But what happens if the sign is old, and there is no meatloaf dinner to be served? Then what is a fella to do?

"Dat der Jim Beam could kick da dump out uh' Jack Daniels any day uh da week, aye!"

At times it can be somewhat difficult getting some of the equipment set up, once you get the hang of it, it is not to hard. Some days it is very educational and just plain entertaining just watching the reactions of the fish to your bait. I would not recommend a under water camera for everyone. Lots of places rent the different units; maybe it would not be a bad idea to try one out before you buy one.

i have used one quite a bit for bluegills and crappie. the hardest part is gettin the camera where u want it . i like it on the bottom facin up alittle for fish near bottom.
we also hang it pointing down but you dont get to see the detail only thier backs.
but you can do this faster....
its just like a vexlar u have to get used to using it. it is very neat to watch when set up. the vexlar is a much better fishing catcking tool.
think ice...

I have used one for a couple years now. I would say I use it for scouting more than anything. It's nice to know exactly how close you are to the structure/weed edge ect... people say that you can see how fish react to your baits/presentation, I can see that on my locator. you just need to know what your seeing, theres no substitute for experience. My buddy and I have had a few head to head competitions fishing pans. we each took turns with the camera, hands down the vex and spring bobber out fished the camera every time. As for scouting, I would never leave home without it.

Definitely agree that if you've never used one before, it'd be a good idea to go rent at least a couple different brands before making a purchase. While for me, a Nature Vision Aqua Vu works best, other anglers prefer something like an OVS or Vista Cam. Thing is, too, each model offers different features-- things like water temperature, directional indicator, mechanical lens rotator, and of course, different light options. Best to find out which camera models and features suit your style before slapping down several hundred bucks-- quite a few anglers I know bought models they wish they hadn't.

As far as it's use in ice fishing, I've come to really rely on a camera to help locate schools of larger panfish quickly. It's especially helpful on lakes with large weedy flats that lend themselves to roaming pods of fish.

And it really enables a couple fishermen to rapidly fine-tune their on-ice strategy. Something like, one guy drills, the other follows behind, scoping the underwater terrain for the presence of the right cover and schools of fish. Once fish reveal themselves, we don't often even use the camera while fishing-- not until it's again time to find new fish.

So I guess it's possible cameras aren't for everyone, but anymore, I can't imagine venturing onto the ice without one. Just way too many positive advantages.

-a friend called Toad

What does meatloaf have to do with under water camera use?

Anyways.....

It is a good idea, like most have mentioned, if you have never owned one or used one to go and rent one to try it out first.

Alot of trips out, mainly on the ice, we run into people who have just gotten cameras. Some love em', and others don't think much of them at all. You will always have a variance of opinions.

With the technology of sonars now, namely the FL-8 and FL-18's, finding fish in open water isn't quite the issue anymore. However, these flasher units can become rather inadequate for locating fish in cover, weeds, etc. Thats where these cameras really shine.

The most important thing is not to let the camera hit bottom. I know it sounds simple, but I have been guilty myself of getting excited, lowering the lense down too quickly, and bumping the bottom only to have a clouded up mess for the next 20 minutes.

I love mine, and it shows me that certain species run togther in patterns quite often too. They work good through the ice, and in open water.

Try one out first, see what ya think, and then consider investing in one.

thanks,

Kevin.

DITTO what BUSHWAC said. They are great for finding structure ie: rock piles , weed beds , cribs etc.
A few years ago ( without a cam )I was lookin for some cribs on a local lake. After drillin about 50 holes searching I never found em and gave up. Bought a cam a few weeks later, went back and found the cribs in about 10 minutes.
It's neat to watch fish take your jig , swim around and such but if it came to a Vex or Camera it would be the Vex hands down.

I just bought an Aqua-vu. What do you use to support the camera wire at the hole to keep it from going to the bottom?
What distance from your fishing hole do you drill the camera hole (Lets say the lake your fishing has clear water) to get the best coverage with the camera, yet not tangle with the line when catching a fish?

Underwater cameras are a great tool to have when you wanna learn about how a fish reacts to different presentations. I know that a vexilar will do the same but with a camera you can actually see the fish. Underwater cameras are great for detecting those light biting fish. There were a few times that I wouldn't have known that a fish took the bait unless I saw it on the camera.

I also agree with everyone else, try one out before you buy one. I had a chance to use my friends before I bought mine and it helped me make a good decision.

I own an OVS 500 with the rotating camera. The rotating camera saves a lot of time when setting up the camera. All I have to do is basically drop it down to the desired depth and then rotate in any direction by the push of a button.

Underwater cameras as said earlier are also a great tool to have when scouting fish and possible night-time hotspots. Sometimes when fishing a new lake during the day I'll drop down some tip-ups and then punch some holes and scout out some hotspots for night fishing with the camera.

Although expensive, an underwater camera is a helpful tool to have. And they are fun to have when that big pike comes swimming by the school of crappies that your fishing and you can watch it swim around for a minute or two trying to eat the smaller sunfish. A little word of advice though, if you see the pike start to head towards the camera pull it up fast, a buddy of mine found out that pike like the taste of cameras too.

Good Fishin, Matt.

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 10-04-2002).]

Thanks for all the great responses!!! As for the "try before you buy".... Good advice. But for the cost of a couple rentals, I picked up a used unit in GREAT condition. And a Vex is on the way. (As soon as my clients get a clue.) So deciding between the two won't have to happen in my case. I also agree with Vex before Cam as well. I just couldn't pass on the deal.

Let's keep the thread going. There's a ton of good stuff here!!!

Dan

------------------
[email protected]

A while ago didn't someone offer a "stand" for the underwater cameras? This gizmo attaches to the camera in some way and holds it up off the bottom?

My Vista does not have the push button rotation feature like the OVS cams do. Would this stand gizmo be a good idea or should I just worry about suspending it with the cable?

Dan

BTW.... What's all this I'm seeing about meatloaf?

------------------
[email protected]

The stand is a waste of time and money, my OVS has the white light option and when switched on it seems to spook the fish, stick with the infared light sorce.

I personally wouldn't add an extra light just on that fact that it would probably spook the fish. Infared lights tend to be less noticable towards the fish.

I agree with AliveinMN, the standard light seems to spook the fish more than the infared. When using the light I almost always have it on infared.

The problem with using an attachable stand is that it would have to make contact with the bottom. The reason why that is bad is that it would cause a cloud of sand and debris making that spot unfishable for a few minutes. But on the other hand, it could also attract far off fish as well but I would be willing to bet that most often then not it would scare the fish away. In my opinion, I'd stick with just the plain camera. You can buy some attachable fins that aid in controlling the camera and keeping it steady. Other then that its just guess and check.

Good Fishin, Matt.

Thought it was worth mentioning several brand new features / options in underwater viewing for 2003.

First, the feature previously only offered on OVS cameras-- a motorized panning lens-- now also is available on Atlantis cameras. This automatic twist feature spins the lens 360-degrees, allowing you to search in different directions quickly. The Atlantis AUW-555 also offers on-screen directional display.

The other manufacturer introducing new features for 2003 is Nature Vision (Aqua-Vu). Their new Depth-Tech units now give an on-screen display of depth of the camera. (Imagine the possibilities of this great feature! Easily viewing suspended fish, etc.)

Other new wrinkles include a down-viewing clip that quickly switches lens direction to straight vertical-- a viewing scheme some ice anglers now prefer. Finally, you can now incorporate Nature Vision's Ice Pod into your fishing. At rest, the Ice Pod holds the cable in place, rather than allowing it spin randomly out of control. It also lets you spin the camera lens with a free hand, as needed. This item is something I'll definitely be tinkering with this season-- maybe it'll replace my own self-concocted cable-holding gizmo, which never did work just right.

Regarding a camera "stand" for resting on bottom . . . most of us who've used one have found that the unwieldy nature of the cable itself forces the stand to tip over continuously. Plus, on soft bottoms, the stand itself simply submerges itself into the gooey silt, completely obscuring your view. So in order to really work, logistically, you'd probably need a stand with a base wider than your widest ice hole. For now, as you guys have already stated, suspending the camera just off bottom is the best way to go.

Goofing around with new gizmos adds another enjoyable facet to an already wonderful pursuit. So here's to a fun, enlightening ice season to us all!

-a friend called Toad

Toad,
Does the down-viewing clip fit all underwater cameras? I have an OVS 500, will it work for this unit? I've played around with getting the camera vertical last year and if there is a way to make things easier I'm all for it. Thanks for all the new info!

Good Fishin, Matt.

PCG & D-Man...

Can you say "BRAIN FADE"? I completely forgot about that!! LOL!!!! That's what I should have had. Sign or no sign!!! It would have been a helluva lot better than what I ended up with. shocked.gif

GOOD HUMOR!!!!

Dan

So who won the bet as to when I'd finally remember? As if THAT happened. Thanks for the "hint" D-Man!!

------------------
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Dan97 (edited 10-07-2002).]

Dan,

I was starting to wonder...

Meatloaf does sound good. Thanks D-man for clarifying that for me. I was gonna drop it as this wasn't the time or the place to be discussing the meatload faulter...lol wink.gif

Dan, do you think the meatloaf would have gone good with the "porkchop in a can"?

PCG